U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2018, 12:15 PM

30,037 posts, read 35,229,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Go get wet! One of these days - I plan to plant my butt in the sand and grow roots - can't wait.
Go for it. The ocean is grand

Old 06-21-2018, 12:35 PM

10,851 posts, read 8,203,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I get pretty upset over this situation. And I've made the mistake of looking at Facebook and reading some posts by people I know. Which upsets me even more.

I need to break the "addiction" I have for FB. I need to stop listening/reading anything about this difficult situation.

It is making me a bit "crazy" and with all the up and down I feel over it, it's carrying over into my personal life. I've been a lot more angry than I have in a long time. And I'm "acting out" on it. Not good.

How are you all managing it in your lives?
Facebook is not the problem. The people you've chosen to "friend" and "follow" are the problem. Unfriend or unfollow them, problem solved.

I'm very active on Facebook, have real-life friends and family with whom I disagree politically. I never see what they post because I either unfollow or unfriend them if they repeatedly post things that disturb my peace of mind.

Old 06-21-2018, 12:42 PM

11,202 posts, read 12,681,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuglf View Post
Wow, that sounds awful! We are at 93 right now (10:30a) but our forecast is only for 101 today. I didn't think it got that hot in W. Co. usually. You must be a a somewhat desert area.

Sounds more and more like it is time for a N. Idaho road trip for all of us 100+ folks!

I live in an easy bake oven, in a wind tunnel, on the surface of the sun. No shade at all, and from June 1 through September it is 100 to 110 degrees every single day here.

Old 06-21-2018, 12:54 PM

4,882 posts, read 3,382,746 times
biscuitmom: Thank you for your post. The FB people who constantly "talk" about it are RL friends. I've told them what I think, but of course in their mind (and it is true) it's my problem.

I am working at separating from FB. There are some things I like on it which are hard to give up, but they are not as important as my peace of mind.

I'm getting there.

Old 06-21-2018, 01:03 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,352,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
biscuitmom: Thank you for your post. The FB people who constantly "talk" about it are RL friends. I've told them what I think, but of course in their mind (and it is true) it's my problem.

I am working at separating from FB. There are some things I like on it which are hard to give up, but they are not as important as my peace of mind.

I'm getting there.
There is a way to stop seeing posts you do not like but keep the friends. Move your cursor to the right to of the post and click on the dots. Choose “see fewer posts like this” or no more posts from.__.. it takes a while but can be done. Also don’t like, dislike or comment on said posts. That makes them more apt to show up on your newsfeed. Hope this helps.

Old 06-21-2018, 01:37 PM

4,882 posts, read 3,382,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
There is a way to stop seeing posts you do not like but keep the friends. Move your cursor to the right to of the post and click on the dots. Choose “see fewer posts like this” or no more posts from.__.. it takes a while but can be done. Also don’t like, dislike or comment on said posts. That makes them more apt to show up on your newsfeed. Hope this helps.

Thank you funisart. I did do that today, wish I knew it sooner!

Old 06-21-2018, 09:10 PM

11,202 posts, read 12,681,779 times
At 9pm it's 90 degrees outside.

Anyway, I was thinking (bad habit I know) this evening while desperately trying to find NEWS, you know things that are actually happening in the country besides today's hysteria and outrage. Even on ESPN people were yelling at one another, on the cable channels people were screaming at one another.

I'm old enough to remember Walter Cronkite, Huntley-Brinkley Report, you know NEWS. And good ol Jerry Dunphy, from the desert to the sea to all of southern California good evening...

Sigh...ok back to cartoons.

Old 06-21-2018, 09:15 PM
JRR

3,873 posts, read 2,323,605 times
We actually got a little rain today, so the clouds kept the temperature down. The city arts council brought in an Irish band from Knoxville for a performance this evening. My wife braved it with her bad back and we still had a good time. Next is the Fourth of July with fireworks and a concert in the park. Nice to have some things to get us out of the house now and then.

Old 06-21-2018, 09:28 PM
JRR

3,873 posts, read 2,323,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
At 9pm it's 90 degrees outside.

Anyway, I was thinking (bad habit I know) this evening while desperately trying to find NEWS, you know things that are actually happening in the country besides today's hysteria and outrage. Even on ESPN people were yelling at one another, on the cable channels people were screaming at one another.

I'm old enough to remember Walter Cronkite, Huntley-Brinkley Report, you know NEWS. And good ol Jerry Dunphy, from the desert to the sea to all of southern California good evening...

Sigh...ok back to cartoons.
Yeah, we were too far from Miami to get a CBS station on our TV when I was a kid, so every night without fail, it was Huntley-Brinkley. And the Today Show was on every morning while I was eating breakfast and getting ready for school.

Old 06-22-2018, 07:32 AM

758 posts, read 502,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Anyway, I was thinking (bad habit I know) this evening ...
Yes, you really must stop that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement