U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2018, 10:10 PM

1,645 posts, read 631,336 times

Advertisements

AZgarden -- So sorry to hear you are under the weather! I hope the meds will help you. Try to rest and get some R & R and let your body heal.

So today I did go and see the movie "Won't You be my Neighbor?" this afternoon. It was a good movie, an autobiography about the late Fred Rogers.

Old 06-24-2018, 10:55 PM

1,157 posts, read 1,020,323 times
Went to my 50th HS reunion. Was nice to be home and visit with old friends. Stayed with my cousin who lives near the area. She had a sent some family history stuff home with me, as my granddaugter has expressed an interest.

Old 06-25-2018, 07:01 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,741,983 times
A crew is here to replace our old AC today. Spring or fall would have been better time, temp-wise, to do this is FL. Our old system is 20+ years old and while we don’t like replacing something that is still working, it started to have some issues recently and we don’t want to end up having it replaced under emergency conditions during a FL summer.

We did our research and got four companies out for bids. We finally picked the unit and company that we think will be good. We have done several major projects and remodeling this past year and I’m tired of making decisions. I want to be on cruise control for a while.

Old 06-25-2018, 09:21 AM

1,157 posts, read 1,020,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
A crew is here to replace our old AC today. Spring or fall would have been better time, temp-wise, to do this is FL. Our old system is 20+ years old and while we donít like replacing something that is still working, it started to have some issues recently and we donít want to end up having it replaced under emergency conditions during a FL summer.

We did our research and got four companies out for bids. We finally picked the unit and company that we think will be good. We have done several major projects and remodeling this past year and Iím tired of making decisions. I want to be on cruise control for a while.
We refer to our house as the neverending project.

Old 06-25-2018, 10:37 AM

13,047 posts, read 10,641,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I need to break the "addiction" I have for FB. I need to stop listening/reading anything about this difficult situation.
Facebook should acquire Twitter, and rename the combined company "Fritter."

Old 06-25-2018, 01:55 PM

4,882 posts, read 3,382,746 times
Oh boy, now I don't know if I'm moving or not. It seems like so much work!! (Yes, I know it is.)

It's hard to look at apartments when you live about 600 miles away from them. I look on the computer, I did visit about a month ago, but it's a problem for me mainly due to not a lot of money. Motel stays, meals, gas, etc. I do not have a credit card and don't have an accumulation of money (what I have in last of retirement money was going to pay for the move).

I did apply for an apartment near Roanoke that looks good to me but of course they (any) want to fill their vacancies ASAP. I can't move till about first week in September.

The apartment complex I like has 4 soon to be vacancies, latest by mid July. If I wanted to "hold" an apartment, I would have to give them $500+, and don't know if that would act as a deposit or not.

Anyone have suggestions?

I'm starting to look for an apartment in a nice area in NY state very close to Lake Ontario. But my heart says Roanoke area, Virginia.

Old 06-25-2018, 02:33 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,741,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJW50 View Post
We refer to our house as the neverending project.
I totally agree, it never does end. DH is still working and we are getting all the big projects done while money is still coming in before he retires.

The AC guys said they would be here at 8:30 and were here right on time. They estimated 8 hours for the job and they are cleaning up now at 4:15. Iím impressed. The house temp got to 83 by mid-afternoon and we are back down to the comfortable temp we like. It wasnít as bad as I expected, we had the ceiling fans on and ice water.

Old 06-25-2018, 03:12 PM

11,202 posts, read 12,681,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
Oh boy, now I don't know if I'm moving or not. It seems like so much work!! (Yes, I know it is.)

It's hard to look at apartments when you live about 600 miles away from them. I look on the computer, I did visit about a month ago, but it's a problem for me mainly due to not a lot of money. Motel stays, meals, gas, etc. I do not have a credit card and don't have an accumulation of money (what I have in last of retirement money was going to pay for the move).

I did apply for an apartment near Roanoke that looks good to me but of course they (any) want to fill their vacancies ASAP. I can't move till about first week in September.

The apartment complex I like has 4 soon to be vacancies, latest by mid July. If I wanted to "hold" an apartment, I would have to give them $500+, and don't know if that would act as a deposit or not.

Anyone have suggestions?

I'm starting to look for an apartment in a nice area in NY state very close to Lake Ontario. But my heart says Roanoke area, Virginia.

If you have any remote chance of getting out of a miserable place to somewhere you would be happy do it.

The $500 should be considered a deposit. I would get something in writing though.

Good luck to you. I would sell my soul to get out of here.

Old 06-25-2018, 03:26 PM

4,882 posts, read 3,382,746 times
^^^^^^^ Thanks Jim.

I'm not feeling quite that bad about where I live. So I wish there was something I could do to help you. When I win the lottery.............
My apartment is OK. When I first moved here (2011) I thought the location was great. Right off the main drag, all kinds of stores needing a short drive to get there.

But my main problem here is management, and they are not going away. They treat people very badly, especially their employees. I attended a complex meeting last week and unfortunately I lost my cool.

I had a bad time with them, too (waiting 6-1/2 years for a decent toilet).

Plus where I want to go is a beautiful area (Blue Ridge mtns for exploring, 4 hour ride to the ocean). I've had a dream for a while now.

Good luck with your dream, Jim. I hope you see it come true very soon.

Old 06-25-2018, 05:57 PM

11,202 posts, read 12,681,779 times
Long range weather forecast through September for here is wetter and hotter than normal, which means hotter than normal. Forecast this week is for 100 to 110 every day.

I am going to die.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement