U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2018, 06:18 PM

5,102 posts, read 3,578,192 times

Advertisements

Jim - how can we get you out of there? I know it's easy for me to say as I had/have savings which helped me get away. Don't have so much now since I did spend a bit to move.

Isn't there someway you can save to get out of there? It sounds as if it's really depressing for you.

I have to add that I was really depressed where I was living in Minnesota & it took a long time for me to make the leap to move to Arizona. I am doing so much better here.

Old 06-25-2018, 08:21 PM
JRR

3,873 posts, read 2,323,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
A crew is here to replace our old AC today. Spring or fall would have been better time, temp-wise, to do this is FL. Our old system is 20+ years old and while we don’t like replacing something that is still working, it started to have some issues recently and we don’t want to end up having it replaced under emergency conditions during a FL summer.

We did our research and got four companies out for bids. We finally picked the unit and company that we think will be good. We have done several major projects and remodeling this past year and I’m tired of making decisions. I want to be on cruise control for a while.
That is what we are looking at sometime fairly soon. 15 year old system that the builder put in and it is ready to be replaced. Had its inspected a couple of weeks ago and it is still running OK, but has some rust and is looking rather rough. New system would also help with the electric bills, not that they are very bad as it is.

Could I ask what kind you got? We had a Trane heat pump in Florida and it was still going strong at 19 years old when we sold the house.

Here, it was a beautiful night for a community band concert in the park with the fireflies all around. Heavy on the John Philip Sousa with a dab of Gilbert and Sullivan and a dash of Mozart. We really like living here in southern small city America.

Old 06-25-2018, 08:46 PM
JRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJW50 View Post
We refer to our house as the neverending project.
Amen to that. We have done a new roof and landscaping so far this year. Going to have some shelves built for one wall of the garage and hopefully that will be it for the year. On tap for next year is heating and A/C (if it lasts until then) and a remodel of one bathroom.

Old 06-25-2018, 08:47 PM

4,882 posts, read 3,382,746 times
I worked at Carrier Corporation who at what time was a huge manufacturer of air conditioners.

They were known for quality and considered to have the best.

Now that they appear to have disappeared (have they?), I'm not sure if they are still available.

Trane was a big competitor.

Old 06-25-2018, 08:57 PM
JRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I worked at Carrier Corporation who at what time was a huge manufacturer of air conditioners.

They were known for quality and considered to have the best.

Now that they appear to have disappeared (have they?), I'm not sure if they are still available.

Trane was a big competitor.
Carrier is still around. In fact the company that I have do my checkup installs Carrier systems

Old 06-25-2018, 09:27 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,741,983 times
We had estimates for Lennox, Trane and Carrier heat pumps and several other brands. We went with a Carrier unit, but from my research, the installer is more important than the manufacturer. All the manufactures have pros and cons. There are now single stage, two stage and variable speed heat pumps and it’s not as simple to chose.

One company was slow to schedule and arrived late for the estimate and I had recycled the estimates before the rep got back into his car.

The company that has been servicing our old unit and installs Trane mainly, told us whatever you think you need, we can do. Hello, can you give a little guidance? We had done research but wanted input on what type of unit. No advice, here’s the estimates, let us know what you want. And if you choose to go with someone else, give us a chance to see if we can do a comparable offer. We’ll be calling them tomorrow for a partial refund on our service plan.

The next one, whom our neighbors used recently and highly recommended, pushed a top of the line Lennox variable from the start. He had sold them a single stage Bryant. He was very personable and quite knowledgeable, but we felt like he was sizing up what we could afford more than what we needed. Yes, we like shiny, we like gadgets and innovations, but we aren’t that easily swayed.

The last company installs Carrier along with other brands. The sales guy did the J calculations and had other numbers to properly size the unit and asked a lot more questions. The others may have done the calculations, but they never mentioned them. They seemed to use square footage and what we already had. We chose a unit from this last company, not the most expensive and not the cheapest. It seemed like a good fit for us and our climate. The salesman/tech guided us, giving us several choices and the reasons for them, but he never pushed.

Our kitchen has always been too warm, so they had suggested a slightly larger duct and today they decided on a direct run from the air handler to the kitchen after a closer inspection. The kitchen had been last on the end of a line. We can feel the difference. So far, so good. Time will tell if we chose well.

Last edited by jean_ji; 06-25-2018 at 10:25 PM..

Old 06-25-2018, 10:19 PM
JRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
We had estimates for Lennox, Trane and Carrier heat pumps and several others. We went with a Carrier unit, but from what I researched, the installer is more important than the manufacturer. All the manufactures have pros and cons. There are now single stage, two stage and variable speed heat pumps and itís not as simple to chose.

One company was slow to schedule and arrived late for the estimate and I had recycled the estimates before the rep got back into his car.

The company that has been servicing our old unit and likes to install Trane, told us whatever you think you need, we can do. Hello, can you give a little guidance? We had done research but wanted input on what we need. No advice, hereís the estimates, let us know what you want. And if you choose to go with someone else, give us a chance to see if we can do a comparable offer. No, you had your chance, weíll be calling for a partial refund on our service plan.

The next one, whom our neighbors used recently and highly recommended, pushed a top of the line Lennox He was very personable and quite knowledgeable, but we felt like he was sizing up what we could afford more than what we needed. Yes, we like shiny, we like gadgets and innovations, but we arenít that easyily swayed.

The last one installs Carrier. The sales guy did the J calculations and had other numbers to properly size the unit and asked a lot more questions than the other ones. The others may have done the calculations, but they neve4 mentioned them. We chose a middle of the road unit from them that seems like a good fit for us and our climate. The salesman/tech guided us, but never pushed.

Our kitchen has always been too warm, so they suggested a slightly larger duct and today they decide to do a direct run from the air handler to the kitchen. We can feel the difference. So far, so good. Time will tell if we chose well.
Many years ago I learned to not reveal where I worked when a salesperson would ask me. If I would say that I worked for a stock brokerage firm, you could see the $$$ light up in their eyes. Even though I plugged away in unglamerous operations, they would equate it to big bucks.

I want to have someone who will do the J calculation as from what I have read, just using the square foot calculation is pretty much the lazy (and rather inaccurate) way to do it. Sounds like you bought from the kind of salesman I would like.

Old 06-26-2018, 08:22 AM

11,202 posts, read 12,681,779 times
Last night about 9 when it cooled off to 82 degrees took my dog for a walk on the trail behind my place. Guys back there drinking and shooting, so turned around, no walk. They finally stopped shooting at midnight.

This morning on sunrise walk, picked up 2 bags of trash and kicked as much of the broken beer bottles and spent shell casings off the trail as I could. All I have to say is "stickers" to my dog and he sits by my side, or lays down until I say up. He learned that from the millions of cactus here. Looks like they managed to down two cases of beer last night.

Old 06-26-2018, 01:00 PM

4,882 posts, read 3,382,746 times
Things are looking up. Got a phone call from the apartment complex I want to move to and it's almost a "go" for mid-September, which is perfect for me. Just need to make copies of proof of income and send them to her.

There is so much to do between now and mid-September.

My son is thinking about moving to VA, too. He's in OK now and would like to leave that area. So I'll have some family there when he can relocate.

Old 06-26-2018, 01:31 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,741,983 times
Good news on the timing, NYgal1542! Your son possibly in the area makes it even better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement