Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2018, 09:54 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,061,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
New dilemma. The apartment in VA I was going to move to in September is no longer available.

Back to the drawing board. If I had a lot of money, there would not be a problem.
Don't give up ! Three steps forward and one back is typical of a big move like yours ! Nothing ever goes perfectly, especially when we really want it to. There must be other nice apts that you would like and if you find one, maybe a (small) deposit is what you need to do ? If I had a lot of money, I would not have any problems either. But, like you, I don't. We have to do the best we can with what we have. Keep looking !!

Old 07-04-2018, 11:00 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,113,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
Don't give up ! Three steps forward and one back is typical of a big move like yours ! Nothing ever goes perfectly, especially when we really want it to. There must be other nice apts that you would like and if you find one, maybe a (small) deposit is what you need to do ? If I had a lot of money, I would not have any problems either. But, like you, I don't. We have to do the best we can with what we have. Keep looking !!

Believe it or not, this is the third time this very same thing has happened to me. Only this time I was told a couple of months ahead of time. The time before this, I was told 3 days before I was supposed to move. So I'm putting the brakes on, at least for now.

But thank you for your kindness, I appreciate the thought behind it. But I'm a believer that if something keeps happening, there must be some reason for it.

Old 07-04-2018, 11:53 AM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,661,013 times
Quiet day here. Temperature is 93 with heat index of 100 (but probably not as hot as where Jim is), so the neighborhood is pretty much staying inside in the a/c. Glad I got my gardening done yesterday; added two miniature roses and a coneflower out front.

Went to a nice concert in the park last night by the Tennessee National Guard Band. Patriotic music with some by Journey, Price and Patsy Cline mixed in. Ribs slow cooked in the oven and macaroni salad for dinner, then we'll run into town this evening to see the fireworks.

NYgal1542- Sorry to hear about your setback in the move to Roanoke.

Old 07-04-2018, 12:36 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
NYgal1542 - I feel your pain. Hang in there, Roanoke is a big city I'll bet you find something nicer!

JRR - It's only 101 degrees here so far. I'm camped out in front of my window air conditioner. No BBQ today, burn ban.

Old 07-04-2018, 03:49 PM

Thanks to all who have said some kind words about the Roanoke situation.
JRR: Oh I envy your plans. That concert in the park, how really nice. I'll listen to the one on PBS tonight, it's usually pretty nice but nothing like being in the park and listening to it "live."

Where I am, Syracuse, NY, we used to have nice concerts, too. But the ever-so brilliant people who run the city decided to build a very large amphitheater near Onondaga Lake (has been ruined by years of industrial waste being dumped into it). So, if the Lake is smelly...... and it is at times, I can't imagine sitting next to it would be so grand. And of course none of the concerts are free. They only bring in "big name" entertainment. And I would guess if they had local talent, they would still charge to attend. And then there is the parking. Not free of course, unless you don't mind walking a mile or two. So much more to the ridiculous story, but this is enough.
I need to clear my head and start thinking about other places to move to. I really wanted to be near the ocean, but prices in those areas plus threat of hurricanes/floods/etc. keep me from looking there.

Old 07-04-2018, 04:34 PM

7,682 posts, read 1,271,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
Thanks to all who have said some kind words about the Roanoke situation.
JRR: Oh I envy your plans. That concert in the park, how really nice. I'll listen to the one on PBS tonight, it's usually pretty nice but nothing like being in the park and listening to it "live."

Where I am, Syracuse, NY, we used to have nice concerts, too. But the ever-so brilliant people who run the city decided to build a very large amphitheater near Onondaga Lake (has been ruined by years of industrial waste being dumped into it). So, if the Lake is smelly...... and it is at times, I can't imagine sitting next to it would be so grand. And of course none of the concerts are free. They only bring in "big name" entertainment. And I would guess if they had local talent, they would still charge to attend. And then there is the parking. Not free of course, unless you don't mind walking a mile or two. So much more to the ridiculous story, but this is enough.
I need to clear my head and start thinking about other places to move to. I really wanted to be near the ocean, but prices in those areas plus threat of hurricanes/floods/etc. keep me from looking there.
Hi NYgal....My brother lives in Liverpool but is a deacon at Assumption in Syracuse (one of his many "jobs.) We're originally from WNYS around Buffalo.

I'm facing a similar situation myself. I'm retiring at the end of the month and will need to be out of my apartment in CT at the end of September. The grand plan was to move to Pinellas County FL near the Gulf but my last trip there in June was a bust--there was no place/area I was really excited about. I may have to go back and look for apartments again next month for relocating in October. It appears that I can have 2 out of 3 of my criteria but not all 3 which is 1) location close to St. Pete Beach 2) rent under 1K and 3) decent square footage. It's been a real challenge and I'm not sure which i'm willing to give up. I'm finding that I need to figure out what is really important and what I hope to accomplish in this move.

I sincerely hope your luck improves and you find what you want. As you intimated, though, maybe Life (or the Divine or whatever) is trying to tell you something. The kicker is--exactly WHAT

Old 07-04-2018, 05:50 PM

Daisy Grey: I know where Liverpool is, not far from me in North Syracuse. I know Assumption Church, tho I am not Catholic. But it's near St. Joseph's Hospital and a couple of other places.

I think "Life" is telling me to stay put and find something here that works. I'm 76 so wonder exactly how much longer should I even try. I know in my mind what I would like, but not finding it. Of course I have to get around more to find something. I've gotten to be a bit of a hermit. I used to be a lot more outgoing.

Loneliness is a big problem for me. I know what I need to do but not doing it. Kind of "stuck".

Old 07-05-2018, 07:56 AM

812 posts, read 795,397 times
NYgal, I'm sorry your apartment didn't work out! I too tend to think when things like that happen, it is just not meant to be. I don't think you need to give up completely though. Hopefully something even better will work out for you!

Old 07-05-2018, 09:04 AM

7,043 posts, read 6,295,966 times
When I first thought about moving out of Minnesota I looked towards Tennessee, Arkansas & that area. I procrastinated for over a year & it wasn't until two had falls in the snow & ice that I finally made the decision to move. BUT, I was 64, not 74.

At that time, Arizona wasn't even on my list. My mind changed after visiting here & after hearing how bad Tennessee was for allergy sufferers & then visiting Dee.

Oh, I still have allergies & I think I always will but they are not bad here. They had gotten pretty bad in Minnesota. So, as much as I love green & water, I am a lot more comfortable living away from them. And I haven't seen a single mosquito. That makes up for a lot as they seem to love my blood.

If I hadn't fallen, I might have stayed where I was. I, too, believe things happen for a reason.

Old 07-05-2018, 03:27 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
Small wildfire about 1/4 mile behind me yesterday, they got it out fast. 102 today with hot wind. Found a place in the small mountain town I want to live in. $750 a month for ONE ROOM in a house, only until October. Unbelievable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement