U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2018, 07:54 AM

4,865 posts, read 3,374,876 times

Advertisements

JRR: That is good news.... I love live concerts by locals (I'm assuming the music is by the area locals).

HollyhockGarden: Thanks! I was surprised about the laundry, too. The first complex was the same way. Both complexes consist of several buildings. Truthfully it's a disappointment, but the apartment complexes with laundry in the apartment building have higher rents. If I ever win the lottery!

I lived in TX for a year (1993-94) and the apartment had the washer/dryer right in the apartment. I liked that a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2018, 11:00 AM

1,642 posts, read 629,711 times
NYgal -- Probably 85% of the new-build apartments here in the Phoenix area have washers/dryers in the units. But this is a new area. Some of them are the stackable w/d, which are usually too small to wash a bulky bedspread/quilt, as an example. I had a girl friend [now deceased] who lived in one of those beautiful 1920's courtyard apartments in Chicago, as ayoung lady just out of college and rooming with girl friends. Also in the building were a couple of fellows sharing an apt also just out of college. Well, her roommate met one of these fellows in the laundry room, and somehow my friend met the fellow's roommate, and, they got married!

Laundry rooms can be a great place to strike up a conversation and make friends.

Now days they have some very spiffy carts available to cart laundry around in, in a variety of price ranges.

Old 07-06-2018, 11:33 AM

HollyhockGarden: I'm going to send you a P.M.

Old 07-06-2018, 02:44 PM

11,195 posts, read 12,670,225 times
At 230pm it's 104 here, with smoke and haze. Hard to breathe outside. And I made the stupid mistake of driving to town to get a few things. Oh the humanity! I hate this city but days like today it's even worse. Traffic, tourists, wrecks, road rage...UGH!

There's about 50 campers next to me on the public lands place, party night until 3am last night, racing around on 4 wheelers, LOUD music, shooting.

What a joy it is.

Old 07-06-2018, 05:11 PM

^^^ When you get the opportunity to move, are you staying in Colorado?

Are those fires getting closer to you?

Old 07-06-2018, 07:12 PM

11,195 posts, read 12,670,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
^^^ When you get the opportunity to move, are you staying in Colorado?

Are those fires getting closer to you?

Yes the only place I want to move to is the small mountain town I moved here in the first place. Fires are hours from me.

Old 07-07-2018, 02:57 PM

Sometimes plans change.. Things don't happen the way we think they should. Just another part of life.

I've decided (at least for now) I'm not going to move to VA. I'm not young. My energy is not what it once was. I think I really miss that. So many things I would do (or at least try to do) that are out of my reach (for now).

My move to VA dream is too difficult for me. Over 500 miles in between here and there. Limited money. Realizing I need (want) a partner to do it with. But none in sight.

Got to climb out of the disappointment pit and start thinking of other things to do.

Thanks to all you supporters! You always seem to be "there" when I needed you.

Old 07-07-2018, 03:12 PM

27,092 posts, read 6,221,275 times
Quote:
Sometimes plans change.. Things don't happen the way we think they should. Just another part of life.

I've decided (at least for now) I'm not going to move to VA. I'm not young. My energy is not what it once was. I think I really miss that. So many things I would do (or at least try to do) that are out of my reach (for now).

My move to VA dream is too difficult for me. Over 500 miles in between here and there. Limited money. Realizing I need (want) a partner to do it with. But none in sight.

Got to climb out of the disappointment pit and start thinking of other things to do.

Oh sorry to hear you feel it's just not in the cards...but you list several reasons to consider. It would be a hard move most likely. Now you can find some new interests in your home area....hopefully!

Old 07-07-2018, 10:19 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,019,496 times
My wife and SIL left for Arizona to see their friend. They will be back July 23. I put a reminder in my phone to leave the screen door unlocked. The dogs barked at her when she left.

Old 07-08-2018, 06:41 AM

2,570 posts, read 2,168,544 times
Quote:

NY gal I was reading your updates with great interest and I can imagine the disappointment but I have to commend you for re-evaluating and changing your mind. That took courage and probably a hefty dose of reality. Again that's not to say it won't or cannot happen some other time but if it didn't quite feel right, then you did the right thing. Timing is a key factor and it's good that you recognized it. Sometimes the introspection can be very helpful and perhaps you can take some of that and the wisdom /realizations to your current situation and be somewhat refreshed.
Wishing you all good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement