U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-08-2018, 08:23 AM
 
Location: Western Colorado
11,201 posts, read 12,675,819 times
Reputation: 26577

Advertisements

NYgal1542 hang in there.

 
Old 07-08-2018, 09:13 AM
 
Location: Cochise county, AZ
5,101 posts, read 3,576,860 times
Reputation: 10942
Sometimes I wonder why I didn't just move to a larger town in Minnesota. My reality was that after the back surgery I was warned not to fall & I had two bad ones that last winter.

I am content where I am but totally understand, after reading your posts, that sometimes it's best to stay put. It sounds as if you have friends where you are & that's important. It's also an area you know well.

There's always a maybe next time also. You took into consideration your animals, cost of moving & other possible problems. This way you can save up more money & keep investigating possibilities.

I, for one, am glad it took me so long to finally make the decision. The place I had my heart set on would have impacted my allergies to the point I may have been as miserable, or worse, than I was in Minnesota. Now I am, though not allergy free, much more comfortable.

There are so many things to take into account when you make such a huge decision in life.
 
Old 07-08-2018, 05:13 PM
 
Location: Prescott AZ
6,183 posts, read 9,245,184 times
Reputation: 11779
I had forgotten what humidity was like. In Phoenix, not so much but here, 100 miles north, it's made me put the AC on. And I hate AC. Has rained last 3 days, just enough to keep me from watering. Still cools off at night and I can open the window. Much happier here than there !!
 
Old 07-08-2018, 05:14 PM
 
1,645 posts, read 630,703 times
Reputation: 3538
meo -- I hope you are surviving your first full Arizona summer. It does seem to stay hot for a long time, but the same can be said for the winters up north -- it stays cold for a long time and it is cloudy too! No place is absolutely perfect. The "monsoon" showers will cheer you up. It always feels so refreshingly clean after the rain.

Jim -- I hope those fires are staying away from your place. We have some extended relatives who were evacuated because of the Dollar Ridge fire in Utah. But I think the order was lifted yesterday and they likely are back home already. They are so grateful for the hard-working fire-fighters, as well as folks at the Sheriff's dept.

NYgal -- Things will work out for you. When a door closes, somewhere another door or window opens, and sometimes it is quite unexpected!

Another hot day here in Phx, but we are surviving. Right now we are keeping cool by watching the Rick Steeves travelogue on Ireland!
 
Old 07-08-2018, 06:04 PM
 
Location: Verde Valley AZ
8,764 posts, read 9,837,465 times
Reputation: 11350
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
I had forgotten what humidity was like. In Phoenix, not so much but here, 100 miles north, it's made me put the AC on. And I hate AC. Has rained last 3 days, just enough to keep me from watering. Still cools off at night and I can open the window. Much happier here than there !!

I see lots of clouds on your side of the mountain, and just above, but over here it's blue skies and sunshine. The humidity isn't too bad but you can sure feel it. I envy you your rain. Because my daughter sleeps during the day we've had to run the AC more, which I hate to do, but can't have her unable to sleep. The APS bill has gone up $80 over the past two months. I still don't run the AC at night and my bedroom ceiling fan keeps me comfy so I don't have to. Nights cool off pretty well.
 
Old 07-08-2018, 06:18 PM
 
Location: Verde Valley AZ
8,764 posts, read 9,837,465 times
Reputation: 11350
Default Well, I did it....

I quit my job. Today was my last day. I didn't give two weeks notice but they said it was okay, I just have to turn in a written 'resignation' and I'll do that tomorrow when I go in to turn in all my uniform 'stuff'. I'm so tired and worn out and they were denying my vacation until a few days ago but then wanted me to take it when THEY wanted me to. No. Nice thing is I can now take my sweet time doing what I want to do on vacation and I'm, for sure, taking the whole month off. I really need it.


I'm a little nervous about it all but I'll be okay. These past few months have been really bad for me and I'm not the only one. We had four people quit yesterday! Morale is in the toilet and this is something I've never seen there. Until corporate started overhauling everything we were all pretty happy with our schedules, etc. and now NOBODY is. I refuse to work noon to nine one day and come back in at 7 AM the next. Another NO. Let the people 20, 30, 40 years younger than me do that stuff. I've put in my time, paid my dues and don't WANT to do it anymore. I'm going to miss my fellow associates, quite a few customers and the great benefits but that's about all. Corporate can go hang.


I was shocked at how fast the word spread that it was my last day. I told my manager just before lunch and the rest of the day I was getting hugs from just everyone! A couple of people even got teary! I couldn't believe it and when I commented on it was told that I was "such a fixture" there that everyone would miss me. Dang! Well, I made it 8 years and one week! lol


Wish me luck!
 
Old 07-08-2018, 06:28 PM
 
Location: Central NY
4,879 posts, read 3,380,409 times
Reputation: 12638
AZDesertBrat: CONGRATULATIONS!!! I am so happy for you.

I am sure you did your homework and wrote it all down and discovered you can manage just fine without the job.

I hope you do that a month-long vacation...... where will you go?

Keep us posted.

I am wishing you good luck, but all of this is due to what you have done!! You made it happen.
 
Old 07-08-2018, 06:56 PM
 
Location: Western Colorado
11,201 posts, read 12,675,819 times
Reputation: 26577
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post

Jim -- I hope those fires are staying away from your place.

The big fires are hours away. There's been some smaller fires near me quickly extinguished.
 
Old 07-08-2018, 07:00 PM
 
Location: Prescott AZ
6,183 posts, read 9,245,184 times
Reputation: 11779
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I quit my job. Today was my last day. I didn't give two weeks notice but they said it was okay, I just have to turn in a written 'resignation' and I'll do that tomorrow when I go in to turn in all my uniform 'stuff'. I'm so tired and worn out and they were denying my vacation until a few days ago but then wanted me to take it when THEY wanted me to. No. Nice thing is I can now take my sweet time doing what I want to do on vacation and I'm, for sure, taking the whole month off. I really need it.


I'm a little nervous about it all but I'll be okay. These past few months have been really bad for me and I'm not the only one. We had four people quit yesterday! Morale is in the toilet and this is something I've never seen there. Until corporate started overhauling everything we were all pretty happy with our schedules, etc. and now NOBODY is. I refuse to work noon to nine one day and come back in at 7 AM the next. Another NO. Let the people 20, 30, 40 years younger than me do that stuff. I've put in my time, paid my dues and don't WANT to do it anymore. I'm going to miss my fellow associates, quite a few customers and the great benefits but that's about all. Corporate can go hang.


I was shocked at how fast the word spread that it was my last day. I told my manager just before lunch and the rest of the day I was getting hugs from just everyone! A couple of people even got teary! I couldn't believe it and when I commented on it was told that I was "such a fixture" there that everyone would miss me. Dang! Well, I made it 8 years and one week! lol
ssu

Wish me luck!
CONGRATS Desert Brat !!!!! When my stomach issues are cleared up, we should have a celebratory lunch ! Going to Phx Wednesday to find out what's what. Not happy with the medical community (as you know) up here. Enjoy your new life !!!!
 
Old 07-08-2018, 08:13 PM
 
Location: Verde Valley AZ
8,764 posts, read 9,837,465 times
Reputation: 11350
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
AZDesertBrat: CONGRATULATIONS!!! I am so happy for you.

I am sure you did your homework and wrote it all down and discovered you can manage just fine without the job.

I hope you do that a month-long vacation...... where will you go?

Keep us posted.

I am wishing you good luck, but all of this is due to what you have done!! You made it happen.

Thanks! Don't get too "happy" for me though. It's not like I'm retiring or anything, just going into something different. I could take 7 or 8 months off and do okay but I don't plan on being unemployed that long!


Vacation will be one long road trip and I'm really looking forward to it. I've been saving and planning for it for two years. From here to So. Dakota to see my sisters kids, their kids and grandkids and have a family reunion. I didn't get to go to my sister's funeral so would like to visit her grave and put flowers on it. From there I'll head back west. I want to see Mt. Rushmore and all the other sites in that part of the state. Then to Wyoming, Utah and back home. I want to visit the Utah parks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:10 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top