U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2018, 07:43 PM

8,764 posts, read 9,837,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I'm thinking it may have been the Santa Fe Trail. I vaguely remember seeing that. I was coming from Minnesota to Arizona. Went through North & South Dakota, Nebraska, Colorado, New Mexico & finally Arizona. At some point I intersected with the freeway again to go to Las Vegas, New Mexico where I stayed the night before finally arriving in Arizona. I'd also stayed in South Dakota.

I now wish I had done a travelogue but...

I'm sure the Santa Fe Trail is on a map. I'll look it up. I'll be in Nebraska, Colorado and New Mexico too. Coming back I'll be in Wyoming, Utah and Nevada.

I always keep a 'diary' when I do long road trips like this one.

Old 07-10-2018, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
When I first came to Colorado to visit family I made the mistake of driving I70 through Denver at 4pm. NEVER again. And my trusty gps just before the Eisenhower Tunnel screamed turn left NOW! Which would have put me in the middle of the Colorado River. After several minutes of that stupid thing yelling turn left NOW! I unplugged it, miles later plugged it back it only to hear turn around NOW! Maybe someone found it around Rifle...where I threw it out the window.

LOL...I'm glad I'm not the only one!

Old 07-10-2018, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
I am a dinosaur; have never had a GPS. Got my trusty road atlas when we travel; I joke with my wife that our GPS is me. And with the internet, it makes planning even better. We are making a trip to a concert in a part of Virginia that I have not been in years. Using Google Earth, I have already "driven" from the interstate through the nearby small town, to the cabin we are renting and then to the concert venue. I even know exactly where the local restaurants are for breakfast and dinner (and what they look like).

I've never had one either. But then I've never really had a cell phone either except for my road trips. I am reactivating my phone today to get ready.

I've also checked out the motels on my route and it looks like KOA might be a good option for me. Supply your own linens but cheap enough. I have an excellent sleeping bag and pillow that will work.

Old 07-10-2018, 08:42 PM

758 posts, read 501,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post

I've also checked out the motels on my route and it looks like KOA might be a good option for me. Supply your own linens but cheap enough. I have an excellent sleeping bag and pillow that will work.
We've stayed at KOA's in our van a lot on cross country trips. They have been fine for what we needed: a place to park and sleep before hitting the road again in the morning. Years ago we would even sleep at rest stops for the night, but these days that is too scary.

Old 07-10-2018, 09:31 PM

1,645 posts, read 630,703 times
We use an old-fashioned road atlas - it works for us! Hubby and I both enjoy reading maps; I even took a class in Cartography in college. We like looking at the atlas so much that we keep an extra one under the sofa and pull it out if we want to look at a place mentioned on tv or the internet. The atlas gives a person a bigger perspective of where a place is located in relationship to, say, a whole state.

And like JRR, I also like to take "rides" using Google Earth.

Old 07-10-2018, 10:24 PM

5,101 posts, read 3,576,860 times
I used an atlas too. I have no idea why I gave it to my sister when I moved. I obviously wasn't thinking correctly.

Old 07-11-2018, 04:29 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,741,218 times
We take an atlas with us on road trips too. We use the Waze app on our phones too, but an atlas gives a better overview when trouble arises. On one of our trips to Indiana, we ran into two accidents and a detour. It was helpful to get the atlas out and see alternative routes and possible backroads to use. Trying to see a large area on a small screen isn’t easy. I’m not sure if getting off the interstate saved us time, but we were moving and not sitting in traffic.

Old 07-11-2018, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuglf View Post
We've stayed at KOA's in our van a lot on cross country trips. They have been fine for what we needed: a place to park and sleep before hitting the road again in the morning. Years ago we would even sleep at rest stops for the night, but these days that is too scary.

I actually thought about doing some car camping on this trip. I can make a pretty comfy 'bed' in the roomy back seat of my car. BUT I don't think I'd feel all that safe by myself. The KOAs I've checked out are really Spartan...no bathroom, running water, etc.. I've thought a lot lately of getting a small RV/camper van and even looked into renting one for this trip. Nope...too expensive!

Old 07-11-2018, 07:35 AM

1,958 posts, read 1,028,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I actually thought about doing some car camping on this trip. I can make a pretty comfy 'bed' in the roomy back seat of my car. BUT I don't think I'd feel all that safe by myself. The KOAs I've checked out are really Spartan...no bathroom, running water, etc.. I've thought a lot lately of getting a small RV/camper van and even looked into renting one for this trip. Nope...too expensive!

I've stayed in the little KOA cabins. They had a nice clean restroom facility. I'm sure it depends on management but it was one of the best vacations ever. Afterwards I thought about planning a road trip and just staying at KOA..... but I never did take another vacation

Good for you for taking this trip! I grew up in WYO and have been to many of the places you are going to see. Sounds like a wonderful trip!

Old 07-11-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomputer View Post
I've stayed in the little KOA cabins. They had a nice clean restroom facility. I'm sure it depends on management but it was one of the best vacations ever. Afterwards I thought about planning a road trip and just staying at KOA..... but I never did take another vacation

Good for you for taking this trip! I grew up in WYO and have been to many of the places you are going to see. Sounds like a wonderful trip!

There seem to be quite a few KOAs on my route but not for the first couple of nights. They are there. I just won't be choosing to stay there till I start the second half of my trip. I didn't mean there were NO bathrooms, etc., just not in the cabins. Should I take my chamber pot for night times??? J/K.

My last real vacation was August 1012 so I do believe it's time. PAST time! I am really looking forward to all of it. I am leaving here in about 15 minutes and plan to be in Santa Fe for tonight. First I have to stop by Walmart and drop off my 'resignation' letter...a bit after the fact but they insist! lol

I'll have my cell phone and tablet so should be able to keep up with y'all while I'm gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement