U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2013, 04:48 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times

Advertisements

Made my way to the mountain house, finally! Torrential rain at times but it is clear now and 64d, clean fresh air--sitting here with my coffee cup. And no, I haven't unpacked the car yet! Just carried in a few things so far.

House seemed a bit musty smelling, so I opened doors and turned on fans--much fresher now.

The thing that makes a hotel so nice is--clean bathrooms! I clean everything b/f I leave but toilets still are "scummy" looking so that is always the first thing I do--clean the bathrooms and kitchen sink/counters. So much easier to check in a hotel! But I love knowing this place is mine, even though there is a lot to be cleaned up b/f having guests on Thursday.

Amazing all the leaves and debris that have washed onto the deck, and accumulated at doors!

My son will be in charge of the grill, so no worries about cooking. I plan to keep it simple--corn ears, potato salad, cole slaw, baked beans, green beans, cornbread. Iced tea, wine and beer. If I can't find a bakery cake, I will make a simple trifle--red, white and blue--blueberries, strawberries, whipped cream and pound cake.

Up early and to the grocery store tomorrow! Hamburgers, hotdogs and a brisket (brought a frozen brisket with me).

I hate the house interior isn't all painted yet and the wall was supposed to be opened b/n the office and great room by now -wh/would make it soooo much nicer for a gathering. However, guests have been here many times over 20 years and have seen the place in worse shape, so I am sure we will all survive, lol.

Just hoping my energy level is good tomorrow! And I really hope it isn't pouring rain on Thurs but the forecast is not promising!

Old 07-02-2013, 07:53 PM

30,037 posts, read 35,229,823 times
Sounds good our family is getting together at my youngest in Virgina.
P
P

Old 07-02-2013, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Sounds good our family is getting together at my youngest in Virgina.
P
P
Travel safe, Tuborg! Hope you have good weather!

Old 07-02-2013, 08:04 PM

8,766 posts, read 9,841,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
It's hard not to cry just thinking about it. And when you live in the same state as where a tragedy such as this happens, you really feel it hard. I posted the Arizona state flower, above, in memory. My DIL, whose firefighter father died last week, said she feels her dad is preparing to welcome those young men in heaven. It would have devastated him if he were alive when this happened. In his career he traveled all over the country to fight these kinds of fires.
My ex told me once that he could fight fires all over the country and when it was over, just leave. But when it's in your own backyard there's more emotions connected to it. He loved being a firefighter and I've always said it takes a certain kind of person to do it.

I'm sorry to hear about your DILs father but I like to think she is right.

Old 07-04-2013, 06:59 AM

Happy Independence Day!

How many President's died on July 4th?

I used to know the answer but I am going to have to look it up again to make sure I am right, lol.

Old 07-04-2013, 01:16 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
My ex told me once that he could fight fires all over the country and when it was over, just leave. But when it's in your own backyard there's more emotions connected to it. He loved being a firefighter and I've always said it takes a certain kind of person to do it.

I'm sorry to hear about your DILs father but I like to think she is right.
AZ, how are the fires now, are they being contained? I heard there was going to be a national memorial of some kind, do you know about that?

For my DIL's father, firefighters from all over the state came to the memorial service at a little church in the country. It was an awesome sight to see so many in uniform coming to pay tribute to a man few of them knew personally. Firefighters are like family, as they know the risks they face every time they go out there. Many go all over the country to fight. One of the firefighters stood up to say that funds for new trucks and equipment are really hard to come by, and he told stories of how my DIL's dad would wrangle money any way he could for a new piece of equipment or repair. We take for granted the services of these firefighters but boy do they have one helluva job to do.

Old 07-04-2013, 01:52 PM

18,717 posts, read 27,131,671 times
Just wanted to wish everyone a Happy July 4th!

Old 07-04-2013, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Just wanted to wish everyone a Happy July 4th!
Hope you have had a good July 4th, too, Caladium!

I am glad I cancelled my BBQ. The power has been off (obviously, back on now!) and we have had flooding that rose to the threshold of the door and started seeping under it. However, it subsided in less than an hour.

More storms on the way tonite from the south.

I am checking my arms and legs for moss.

Old 07-04-2013, 06:54 PM

1,959 posts, read 1,029,782 times
Lots of rain here, too, and temps in the 60's. Very unusual for the 4th in Tennessee. Its supposed to rain through tomorrow evening. Everything is lush and green. You can almost see the grass growing.

I am going to have to convince the dog that waiting to go is not an option.

Old 07-04-2013, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie'smom View Post
Lots of rain here, too, and temps in the 60's. Very unusual for the 4th in Tennessee. Its supposed to rain through tomorrow evening. Everything is lush and green. You can almost see the grass growing.

I am going to have to convince the dog that waiting to go is not an option.
Oh my - doggie business! That is just what son finished doing - we had to drag her out in the pouring rain b/c she was indicating she might choose a spot on the rug, otherwise.

Dried her off with a towel, but she is still very wet. It is raining an average of 1-2 inches here per hour, and will continue throughout the night. . . I hope it ends soon.

I saw a cartoon this evening on a favorite Boone website that said: We have only had two periods of rain here this season: one that lasted 45 days and one that lasted 35 days.

My roofer still has no clue when he can replace this roof! It is leaking badly in one area!

One of these days, the sun really will be visible again . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement