U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2018, 09:19 PM

5,757 posts, read 3,046,581 times

Advertisements

Lately the supermarket has been busier than normal, with a lot of people who seem to be cruising slowly through as if grocery shopping is entertainment. Suddenly, the reason why struck me like a bolt:

Air conditioning.

It is blazing hot here, alternating between blast furnace windy dry heat and sweltering humid still monsoony heat. Daytime heat is expected; nighttime warmth is shocking. I eagerly await autumn.

Old 07-24-2018, 07:19 AM

11,202 posts, read 12,681,779 times
It was 105 here yesterday, storm came through in the afternoon and had marble size hail and lightening. Another storm woke me at 3am. Overall got 1/10" of rain. For here, that's a lot. At least it knocked the dust down.

Old 07-24-2018, 07:34 AM

758 posts, read 502,183 times
Just happened to see the morning traffic report. I am glad beyond words I don't need to deal with that anymore! I still have to pinch myself sometimes to see if I'm really retired and not dreaming.

This heat though.

Old 07-24-2018, 07:35 AM

758 posts, read 502,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Lately the supermarket has been busier than normal, with a lot of people who seem to be cruising slowly through as if grocery shopping is entertainment. Suddenly, the reason why struck me like a bolt:

Air conditioning.

It is blazing hot here, alternating between blast furnace windy dry heat and sweltering humid still monsoony heat. Daytime heat is expected; nighttime warmth is shocking. I eagerly await autumn.
Yes, come on October!! Are you in Arizona too?

Old 07-24-2018, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuglf View Post
Yes, come on October!! Are you in Arizona too?
No, but not far away: in the Four Corners area of CO.

News article said it could hit 120 in Phoenix.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:18 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,741,983 times
We had a convergence of circumstances happen last night: a recently installed solid, eight foot fence enclosing the back yard and pool, water temp of eighty-nine degrees at ten o’clock, a hazy moon with stars twinkling overhead and the realization that swimsuits could be optional. The years disappeared and we felt like kids for a while.

Last edited by jean_ji; 07-24-2018 at 08:27 AM..

Old 07-24-2018, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
We had a convergence of circumstances happen last night: a recently installed solid, eight foot fence enclosing the back yard and pool, water temp of eighty-nine degrees at ten o’clock, a hazy moon with stars twinkling overhead and the realization that swimsuits could be optional. The years disappeared and we felt like kids for a while.
Ooooo, a private pool would be heaven for kayak roll practice.

Have fun skinny dipping!

Old 07-24-2018, 10:57 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,741,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Ooooo, a private pool would be heaven for kayak roll practice.

Have fun skinny dipping!
Years ago in late winter, DH took a kayaking course at the Y, practicing rolls in the pool. When he was done, he bent down to pull his spray skirt off with two women from class behind him. Yep, he pulled his swim trunks along with the spray skirt down to his ankles, mooning them. He told me about it when he got home and when I got done laughing, I said “Don’t worry, you’ll probably never see those two ever again”.

Two weeks later we were cross county skiing on a trail at a college an hour away in Michigan. Someone came up behind us and called out “Track, track!”. As we moved to the side, the two women from the kayak class passed us and said “Hello, nice to see you again” to DH.

Last edited by jean_ji; 07-24-2018 at 11:10 AM..

Old 07-24-2018, 05:29 PM

8,766 posts, read 9,841,864 times
Default Hi everyone!

I'm home at last and so glad I am! (Got my regular ID back. Yay!) Now I can get caught up with everybody.

I'm tired and will need a week to rest up now. lol It's been a fun and interesting two weeks but I've had about all the 'adventure' I can take right now. I've put over 3,000 miles on my car and on my butt! I now have 'numb butt'.

I never knew just how much empty land there is in this country. I drove hundreds and hundreds of miles through it. At one point I really had to marvel at how the pioneers crossed it, at minimum miles a day, and I couldn't WAIT to get past it. CO and NE were the most 'barren' to me. Pretty, in it's own way, but just plain empty.

I stayed a full week at my nephew's place and didn't do much of anything. A little sight seeing and an afternoon at Falls Park in Sioux Falls. Sounds like Niagra rushing but not nearly as big. Left there and got to Custer State Park and Mt. Rushmore. Awesome!

Came home through Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Lots of empty land on that drive too! I avoided Denver going but braved it coming back. Not too bad. Didn't get lost once! lol

Anyway, I'm happy to be home to my own bed! My daughter put mini blinds in my bedroom while I was gone. Bless her heart! I just had shears up so it gets light really early.

Oh yeah...I picked up a 'hitchhiker' at my nephew's in Sioux Falls. A fly! He stuck with me all the way home and I kept opening the window in case he wanted to find some long lost cousins or anything. Nope. Stayed put. He was no bother but I'd have been happier if he could read a map and drive for me! LOL

Old 07-24-2018, 06:00 PM

4,882 posts, read 3,382,746 times
^^^^^^^^^ Welcome back!! Sounds like you had a successful trip. AZDesertBrat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement