Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2018, 09:41 AM

4,536 posts, read 3,755,086 times

Advertisements

Walmart has never been one of my favorite stores, the ones I’ve known have always been crowded. It’s busy here in the summer, but crazy during season with all the snowbirds and tourists. I admire workers there that can still smile and have a sense of humor during that time.

I went in looking for a shell rake, a pole with a sieve basket on the end, to take to the beach. I waited for my turn to ask one of the workers there if they carried them. The man got a broad smile on his face and said “You mean a Florida snow shovel!” and took me over to where they were. What a nice guy! I still think of him and that encounter did change my overall impression of that particular Walmart. That episode and another time around Christmas, I saw a cellist and a violinist playing in front of their Salvation Army bucket in front of that Walmart. Just when I thought I could pigeon-hole a place, I get reminded nothing is all bad and I don’t know it all.

Old 07-26-2018, 12:14 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,904,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
The Walmart where I live is horrible. It doesn't matter what time of day I go there, it's always packed. Mostly tourists stocking up before heading to the mountains, and always in a hurry. The employees are cranky and always complaining, and it's just dirty. There's a Walmart 30 miles away that's very pleasant, clean, never crowded, but I don't care to drive 40 minutes for Walmart. When I lived in northwest Arkansas I loved going to the Walmart near the University of Arkansas. College girls in pajamas and bunny slippers...

We get tons of tourists here too. Our store is always hopping busy but we serve about 45,000 people PLUS the tourists. It's no wonder I was exhausted! lol I went a while ago and it was actually pretty quiet. Not too many people and no lines. Nice! I saw my manager and she asked me if I was ready to go back.

The next closest stores are in Flagstaff and Prescott so about 50 miles away. And they have five or six between them. They are always busy too.

I did, now and then, see people in pj bottoms and slippers but not very often.

Old 07-26-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
Walmart has never been one of my favorite stores, the ones I’ve known have always been crowded. It’s busy here in the summer, but crazy during season with all the snowbirds and tourists. I admire workers there that can still smile and have a sense of humor during that time.

I went in looking for a shell rake, a pole with a sieve basket on the end, to take to the beach. I waited for my turn to ask one of the workers there if they carried them. The man got a broad smile on his face and said “You mean a Florida snow shovel!” and took me over to where they were. What a nice guy! I still think of him and that encounter did change my overall impression of that particular Walmart. That episode and another time around Christmas, I saw a cellist and a violinist playing in front of their Salvation Army bucket in front of that Walmart. Just when I thought I could pigeon-hole a place, I get reminded nothing is all bad and I don’t know it all.

Sometimes it gets really hard to keep that smile and sense of humor but it's in the job description. lol Not really but retail is a pretty stressful job sometimes and there are people who insist on getting on your last nerve at times. I always looked at it as fodder for good stories later on. And I have some really good ones!

Old 07-26-2018, 12:38 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,868,731 times
I met Mr Sam and Ms Betty, really nice folks, she was always super nice. I bet they're turning over in their graves.

Old 07-26-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
I met Mr Sam and Ms Betty, really nice folks, she was always super nice. I bet they're turning over in their graves.

One thing I heard fairly often at work, from customers, was "If Mr. Sam was still around.....". People don't have much respect for Walmart and, unfortunately, that spills over onto the employees. I do wonder what it would be like if he, or someone like him, was 'in charge'. They do some things that just do not make sense to me and cause difficulties.

Old 07-26-2018, 01:08 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,190,905 times
The Super Walmarts and the Walmart Neighborhood Market near us has pleasant employees and I can almost always find what I need in stock [except for Old Roy Dog Food and Sam's Diet Cola] but that is not a problem unique to those stores. It is an area-wide problem caused by someone in the purchasing dept. But I guess we are lucky, the staff are usually quite helpful.

Jim -- Sorry you have such troubles when shopping.

Here in Arizona, we lost a young D.P.S. officer [murdered in line of duty], only 24 years old and just out of training school. This young man was a Navy Vet and wanted to continue serving his community. Thankfully the suspect has been caught. Our State Flags are all at half mast. So, so sad.

Old 07-26-2018, 01:24 PM

5,577 posts, read 6,504,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
One thing I heard fairly often at work, from customers, was "If Mr. Sam was still around.....". People don't have much respect for Walmart and, unfortunately, that spills over onto the employees. I do wonder what it would be like if he, or someone like him, was 'in charge'. They do some things that just do not make sense to me and cause difficulties.
All in the name of the almighty dollar.

Old 07-26-2018, 02:32 PM

812 posts, read 795,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I thought the same. But, it's supposed to be cooler the rest of the week. I've been exploring other areas of this great country of ours & there's a heat wave in a lot of places. Sometimes all I have to do is look at the majestic mountains & see the sunsets & I fall in love all over again.

The heat will end & cooler days will come.

I think of Minnesota & how long the winter lasted. I can live with this heat much better than I did with the snow & cold.
Thanks for the reminder Meo! We have been gone from MI for so long now, sometimes I forget about the winters there. My DH hasn't forgotten though, so we are still in AZ.

I really do like Monsoon too, but these past few days have been unusually hot for July, even in AZ. Yesterday we actually got some cloud cover in the afternoon from a nearby storm and that helped a lot!

Old 07-26-2018, 02:34 PM

812 posts, read 795,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
By November you'll be saying "Aw, it wasn't so bad. It's been worse". lol I think I say that every year.

I know, me too! haha

Old 07-26-2018, 02:35 PM

4,536 posts, read 3,755,086 times
Confession time: we do not have wills. We have wanted to have them made since our son was seven and he’s forty-two now. How’s that for procrastination?

We have waited so long, we decided it was time for an elder care law practice.

We really liked the lawyer we met with today and the office staff. He had looked through the forms we had filled out earlier and brought with us and asked more questions, getting more of a feel for who we are, and what we wanted and needed. He said we have a very simple estate: a long marriage, no divorces, one adult child and beneficiaries in place already. He recommended a trust for the grandkids in case we and our son predecease them when they are not of legal age yet. He recommended age 25, but said we could use 21 if we wanted.

Along with the wills, dPOA’s and advanced health directives are being made too. We kept putting this off for many reasons, all of them really lame. We’ve been lucky none of them haven’t been needed before. He’ll send a draft to us and then we can make changes, call or come in to see him again if we have any questions and then sign the finalized version after that. I’m glad we got this going finally.

Last edited by jean_ji; 07-26-2018 at 02:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement