U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2013, 07:53 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times

Advertisements

The Fourth...It's almost 10 pm and I'm out on the deck with the laptop with no lights, just starlight and a faint moon...with my citronella candles and wrapped in a big white sheet to repel any mosquitos...and hearing fireworks rumble in the distance beyond the fields. Fireflies glinting through the dark. It feels magical, like in Mendelssohn's "Midsummer Night's Dream." This actually sounds good with the fireworks going off: Mendelssohn A Midsummer Night's Dream Overture Op.21 by Masur, LGO (1997) - YouTube The music is like the invisible summer sprites of Shakespeare.

This evening also reminds me of when we were kids and we stayed up real late on hot summer nights (without a.c.) and saw the fireflies and tried to collect them in glass jars, and then tried to get to sleep inside on the floor in front of the screen doors. We used to get ice cream before bed, lol. And summer was a forever time, with no thought of anything but the present.

Any other childhood memories of hot summer nights?

Old 07-04-2013, 08:19 PM

20,328 posts, read 19,311,428 times

You write so well. I thought I was right there.I remember a terrible heatwave when I was about 6 years old. My mother would put washcloths in the fridge and then put them on my forehead as I lay up in my bed. Finally the two of us tried sleeping on the porch and she told me they used to do that when she was a little girl. No a/c in those days, not in New England anyway.

Old 07-04-2013, 08:22 PM

......and now the fireworks are going off! When I was a kid it was still legal to buy them and we would all go over to another family's house and have a cookout. When it got dark the men would set up the fireworks and we'd have a great show. I got to hold a Roman candle one time as it went off--yikes. When it was made illegal, I felt upset but my dad said it was for the best, that a lot of people got burned and hurt by fireworks. I still have nostalgia for the days when we did it ourselves but I never want to go back.------got to run out and see if I can see the fireworks!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-04-2013, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

You write so well. I thought I was right there.I remember a terrible heatwave when I was about 6 years old. My mother would put washcloths in the fridge and then put them on my forehead as I lay up in my bed. Finally the two of us tried sleeping on the porch and she told me they used to do that when she was a little girl. No a/c in those days, not in New England anyway.
People say it gets hot in the South, which is true, but there's nothing like a "stinking hot" New England night in July when you can barely breathe and there's no breeze...and in the old days no a.c. just fans. Many of those ranch style houses with small rooms must have been like an oven. I think we were all tougher back then (the good old days, lol). We kids made a lot of grape juice popsicles and they melted and made our fingers sticky...and spitting out baby watermelon seeds....

Old 07-04-2013, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
People say it gets hot in the South, which is true, but there's nothing like a "stinking hot" New England night in July when you can barely breathe and there's no breeze...and in the old days no a.c. just fans. Many of those ranch style houses with small rooms must have been like an oven. I think we were all tougher back then (the good old days, lol). We kids made a lot of grape juice popsicles and they melted and made our fingers sticky...and spitting out baby watermelon seeds....
hahahaha. I just remember hanging out in our old garage where it was cooler. Or we'd traipse down to the town swimming pool and live there all day long. I think I spent most of my childhood summers at that pool--it sure served to keep us out from underfoot. In that town and in that house we all slept upstairs in the suffocating heat. One year my dad bought this giant fan--a standing fan that you rolled around on wheels-- and he had a theory that you should point it OUT the window, not inward. Arguing did no good so we'd pretend to be asleep but when he left, we'd get up and point that fan directly at our beds. It wasn't fun when he would come back to check.

Old 07-04-2013, 10:22 PM

6,977 posts, read 7,473,925 times
Quote:
hahahaha. I just remember hanging out in our old garage where it was cooler. Or we'd traipse down to the town swimming pool and live there all day long. I think I spent most of my childhood summers at that pool--it sure served to keep us out from underfoot. In that town and in that house we all slept upstairs in the suffocating heat. One year my dad bought this giant fan--a standing fan that you rolled around on wheels-- and he had a theory that you should point it OUT the window, not inward. Arguing did no good so we'd pretend to be asleep but when he left, we'd get up and point that fan directly at our beds. It wasn't fun when he would come back to check.
We'd do the same thing - the idea was to blow the hot air out of the house. It made no sense to me at the time either.

Old 07-04-2013, 11:56 PM

1,157 posts, read 1,020,100 times
Quote:

I remember sleeping on the porch. We got A/C when I was 7ish. One of the first on the block. It was one of the window units. Don't see many of them anymore.

Old 07-05-2013, 05:52 AM

Quote:
One year my dad bought this giant fan--a standing fan that you rolled around on wheels-- and he had a theory that you should point it OUT the window, not inward. Arguing did no good so we'd pretend to be asleep but when he left, we'd get up and point that fan directly at our beds. It wasn't fun when he would come back to check.
I can see this, lol. Dads in those days thought they knew it all. Many also wore suits and hats to work. The workplace was not air-conditioned. My dad would travel to his downtown job via the local bus, returning home with his jacket over his arm and carrying his hat, shirtsleeves rolled. Then he'd make the house hotter by smoking. He'd take us out for ice cream cones at a farmstand - real creamy farm made ice cream. Our mother forced us girls to get pixie haircuts each summer, she couldn't stand the sight of long hair in hot weather.

Old 07-05-2013, 06:08 AM

Supposed to be around 96 out there today, it just makes me feel trapped inside with the a/c. I don't think it used to get this hot around here when we were kids. I remember deciding that 85 was hot and it rarely got to 90 and that was really hot.

Old 07-05-2013, 06:16 AM

20,143 posts, read 20,252,538 times
May be I'm older than you or may be my memory is worse but I remember that we usually expected at least one week in the summer with close-to and at least one or two days of 100 and at least one week in Jan or Feb with 0 to 10 degrees below for a day or two.
Not every year, of course, but not unexpected when it happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement