U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-27-2018, 06:56 PM
 
1,642 posts, read 628,757 times
Reputation: 3533

Advertisements

Gee whiz. Sorry about your back door, Jim!

Just watching the pictures of burned-out homes in Redding, CA. Complete devastation, and two lives lost. So sad.

Hard to believe schools are about to start here [I am in Arizona]. The starting times have been moved forward into early August. The universities start earlier too, and the schools have to match up so the student teachers semester times comply.

We had the last community summer band concert last light, because the band, too, is impacted by both students and teachers returning to the classroom.

The local public swimming pools close July 30th in Phoenix and will only be open on weekends, also due to schools and colleges starting so early.

I have been trying to figure out the advantage to the change in school calendars and still come up with a zero. When I was young, we always started the Tuesday after Labor Day. And some places still do -- primarily in the Eastern U.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-27-2018, 07:02 PM
 
5,722 posts, read 3,027,190 times
Reputation: 10889
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
SOOOOOOOOOO, a storm came through earlier, went from 95 to 65 in about 20 minutes and pouring rain. So nice, I opened the windows, and took a nap on the sofa. I mean sound asleep, don't wake me I'm dead nap.


Wind gust came through and TORE THE BACK DOOR OFF! Sounded like an explosion. I jumped up, my dog jumped up. SO here I am in that sort of awake but not really state, chasing my back door in the wind and pouring cold rain. It's one of those cheap trailer doors, so I nailed in back on, and put 2x4s across it (can we say ghetto) since I never use it anyway.


My life...
Yikes. I hope your interior is not soaked.

Good point about having two exit points. I think windows of a minimum size will meet that requirement, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2018, 10:52 PM
 
Location: Nebraska
1,156 posts, read 1,019,097 times
Reputation: 1030
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post

I have been trying to figure out the advantage to the change in school calendars and still come up with a zero. When I was young, we always started the Tuesday after Labor Day. And some places still do -- primarily in the Eastern U.S.
I think it's because of testing. But also kids today have more time off during the school year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2018, 07:19 AM
 
Location: ☀️ SWFL ⛱ 🌴
2,514 posts, read 1,737,789 times
Reputation: 9031
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post
Gee whiz. Sorry about your back door, Jim!

Just watching the pictures of burned-out homes in Redding, CA. Complete devastation, and two lives lost. So sad.

Hard to believe schools are about to start here [I am in Arizona]. The starting times have been moved forward into early August. The universities start earlier too, and the schools have to match up so the student teachers semester times comply.

We had the last community summer band concert last light, because the band, too, is impacted by both students and teachers returning to the classroom.

The local public swimming pools close July 30th in Phoenix and will only be open on weekends, also due to schools and colleges starting so early.

I have been trying to figure out the advantage to the change in school calendars and still come up with a zero. When I was young, we always started the Tuesday after Labor Day. And some places still do -- primarily in the Eastern U.S.
The link below is a good read: the reason some states have maintained a school start after Labor Day is for economic gains based on more time for end of summer tourism/family vacations. For states that don’t have a short warm weather vacation period, the Labor Day start is not as important.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kellyph.../#15bd82df1387

I thought the start of school after Labor Day was because of no AC in the schools when I was a kid. Sitting in a hot September classroom wearing new school clothes meant for later in autum was the worst! In NY our son started school after Labor Day and the last day of school was around June 20, it’s still that way. Here in FL, the grandkids start in the middle of August and get out before Memorial Day. The length of summer vacation is the same.

Last edited by jean_ji; 07-28-2018 at 07:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2018, 07:39 AM
 
Location: Western Colorado
11,195 posts, read 12,664,360 times
Reputation: 26568
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Yikes. I hope your interior is not soaked.

Good point about having two exit points. I think windows of a minimum size will meet that requirement, though.
Back door was in a utility (washer dryer) room. Yeah it was soaked in there. If this place catches on fire I can get out a window with my dog, then I'll block the driveway so the fire trucks can't get to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2018, 08:01 AM
 
Location: La Jolla
352 posts, read 175,915 times
Reputation: 656
We have all kinds of school start times her in San Diego. The school that my daughter teaches at will start after Labor Day, but many schools are starting in the next couple of weeks. Growing up in Southern California we always started after Labor Day. Most universities begin by the middle of August except UC San Diego which is on the quarter system and doesn't start until mid September.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2018, 01:37 PM
 
1,264 posts, read 1,138,356 times
Reputation: 2748
I grew up in San Diego and school always started after Labor Day. Flag Day (June 14) was generally our last day before summer vacation. Of course this was a long time ago so things could have changed by now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2018, 02:55 PM
 
1,642 posts, read 628,757 times
Reputation: 3533
Well, one thing for sure, with the school start dates getting close, we all need to be aware when we are driving around the children and teens. I like the Fall, since it is kind of a "new beginning" for clubs and organizations to start meeting again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2018, 09:00 AM
 
Location: Western Colorado
11,195 posts, read 12,664,360 times
Reputation: 26568
School starts here August 24 ends May 22. Kids get a fall break, Christmas break (TWO WEEKS!), spring break. Seems they are out of school more than they are in.


The high school is an open campus so one does not go into town before 9am, from 11am to 1pm or after 3pm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2018, 03:56 PM
 
1,642 posts, read 628,757 times
Reputation: 3533
We had a closed campus at our high school [okay, it was 45 yrs ago] but it seemed to work well, as there was only a 1/2 hour lunch break and no restaurants or drive-ins anywhere near the school. I brown-bagged it most days because it took too long to get through the cafeteria line and then find a place to sit. Now the high schools have different lines for foods, like a salad bar line, etc. That helps, I think. And at the high schools in Arizona, some of the kids can eat out doors, which frees up space in the crowded cafeterias. Our local campus was open for lunch, but sadly, there was a fatal accident in which a student died in a car wreck rushing back to school at lunchtime. The campus was closed after that happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top