Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2018, 10:31 PM
JRR

8,165 posts, read 5,659,209 times

Advertisements

Just got back from a long weekend in the mountains of Virginia. Rented a cabin for a couple of nights that was right on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Went to a concert at the Blue Ridge Music Center last night. Absolutely beautiful evening weatherwise; got a bit chilly so had to put on a hoodie for the last hour. Sure wish I could have brought that weather back with us. But another month here and summer will start to abate.

Jim - Man, it seems that your weather is out to get you. That has to be a real jolt to wake up to your door being torn off!

Old 07-30-2018, 06:51 AM

7,043 posts, read 6,293,948 times
Sounds like you had a good time, JRR.

Minnesota schools always started after labor day, which is also when 'The great get together', the state fair, ended. I'm not sure what happens here.

This morning I woke up VERY early, between 3 & 4 and heard a coyote. Hadn't heard one in quite a while & was wondering where they had gone. It's such a mournful sound to me. I actually missed hearing them, even though the sound sends shivers down my spine.

Old 07-30-2018, 08:38 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,870,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post

Jim - Man, it seems that your weather is out to get you. That has to be a real jolt to wake up to your door being torn off!

It's just this cheap run down place here. Something is always falling apart or breaking or leaking, but the back door blowing off, completely off, well that's a new one.

It was 92 degrees at 10pm last night, 78 in my bedroom. Sky is brown this morning from all the wildfires (none regrettably threatening to burn this place down), hard to breathe.

Old 07-30-2018, 08:54 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times
Smoke from fires has been blowing in and then sitting from evening through morning here, the last two nights. The first time, I thought a new fire had popped up, and close to home. Found out it was from the Plateau Fire. The sudden squally high winds that had come out of nowhere the previous hour must have shoved the smoke plumes here. I did notice them rising up north of McPhee earlier in the day.

Sucks that just after the sun sets, when I usually start opening windows, the smoke hits. The alternative is to leave them shut up during the only cool hours. The smoke cleared out yesterday mid-day but I sure wasn’t going to open any windows then! I was hoping it would rain when clouds thickened and looked promising. Nope.

So I open the windows and breathe smoky air. Yeah, it is irritating to breathe. Probably frightens tourists.

Cloudstreaked nights also are keeping daytime heat from dissipating much. Need cloudy days with clear nights instead! It has not been 90 degrees at 10pm, but in the low 80s on the worst nights. Still hotter than normal.

Old 07-30-2018, 09:22 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,755,944 times
With our fence installed in the back, our pool project is done. We have a few small DIY landscaping things yet, but they can be done at our leisure. We went will an 8 foot fence height in the back with transitions to five foot gates facing the front.

I love having a pool with the grandkids, but was worried we’d be bored with it when they weren't here. As much fun as I have with the g-kids, there’s a lot to be said for relaxing in the pool, enjoying the quiet and not being splashed or dunked. I’m surprised that I can actually be chilly floating on the water with a feel-like temp of 92 in the evening. A pool has made it so much better here, we thought it would, we just didn’t realize how much.

Unfortunately it’s been a good year to have a pool here: red tide (algae bloom) has been the worst in years, making the beach a no-go. There is always some red tide here at different times, but not for this long or at this intensity, it’s killing fish and sea turtles, washing them up on shore from Sarasota to Naples, it’s awful.

Pic of the pool, red tide can be seen on news sources
Attached Thumbnails
Chat Thread-e56e2679-f623-43b9-ad2f-5a41cea19e73.jpeg  

Last edited by jean_ji; 07-30-2018 at 09:37 AM..

Old 07-30-2018, 10:27 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,870,986 times
^ wow!

Old 07-30-2018, 11:32 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,060,189 times
Double wow !!! That chaise chair is my favorite color. Wouldn't mind coming there to sit in it with you all.
I never liked swimming much (almost didn't graduate HS because I couldn't swim across the pool). But floating on those beautiful blue waters looks so very relaxing. Enjoy !!!

Old 07-30-2018, 11:36 AM

812 posts, read 795,276 times
That looks wonderful, Jean!

Old 07-30-2018, 11:53 AM

Thanks all! We still marvel we did this.

I’m quite proud of that beautiful water. I’ve made taking care of the pool and chemistry my job, testing daily and tweaking as needed. A pool, like health, is better with preventative care, rather trying to fix a problem after it happens.

Old 07-30-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
Double wow !!! That chaise chair is my favorite color. Wouldn't mind coming there to sit in it with you all.
I never liked swimming much (almost didn't graduate HS because I couldn't swim across the pool). But floating on those beautiful blue waters looks so very relaxing. Enjoy !!!
My favorite color too! This is more a splash pool than a swim pool. It’s small, you would feel comfortable in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement