U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2018, 12:10 PM

6,183 posts, read 9,247,291 times

Advertisements

It's not smokey here at all, Colorado. But it is wet !! Last night we had (another) very bad thunder/lightning storm around 10:30 pm. I was wondering what to do if the house got hit. The clocks all got messed up and the TV and phone were blinking so I guess it was a close hit. I have an antenna on the roof and always am afraid it will attract the lightning. Big scaredy cat I am !!!

Old 08-03-2018, 02:19 PM

11,202 posts, read 12,681,779 times
Wet? What's wet?

Old 08-03-2018, 07:36 PM

4,951 posts, read 4,494,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
It's not smokey here at all, Colorado. But it is wet !! Last night we had (another) very bad thunder/lightning storm around 10:30 pm. I was wondering what to do if the house got hit. The clocks all got messed up and the TV and phone were blinking so I guess it was a close hit. I have an antenna on the roof and always am afraid it will attract the lightning. Big scaredy cat I am !!!
I'll gladly trade you! I read that both Arizona and New Mexico are getting some relief thanks to the monsoon. Alas, the monsoon doesn't seem to have made it far enough north yet to do very much for most of Colorado. We did get a small front that passed thru which didn't drop any rain on us to speak of, but the winds did clear out much of that nasty smoke - at least for now. I can breathe without chest pain for the first time in several days. YAY!

Old 08-04-2018, 03:40 AM

2,907 posts, read 4,630,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Hello everybody!

Guess what???!!!

Officer Clark (aka Kampus Kop) has announced his retirement ... in just 30 days.

A new chapter in my life!
Have been wondering where you were! So...what are your retirement plans?

Old 08-04-2018, 05:40 AM

8,322 posts, read 12,075,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
With our fence installed in the back, our pool project is done. We have a few small DIY landscaping things yet, but they can be done at our leisure. We went will an 8 foot fence height in the back with transitions to five foot gates facing the front.
Beautiful, Jean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
Unfortunately itís been a good year to have a pool here: red tide (algae bloom) has been the worst in years, making the beach a no-go. There is always some red tide here at different times, but not for this long or at this intensity, itís killing fish and sea turtles, washing them up on shore from Sarasota to Naples, itís awful.
And yet our governor continues to roll back environmental regulations that could have lessened the formation of the algae and the impact of red tide. During his eight years in office, he has rolled back crucial safeguards like septic-tank inspections that ensure waste isnít seeping into water systems. He has cut almost $700 million in funding for water management districts largely responsible for the protection of waterways. He appointed water management board members more concerned with the rights of polluters than clean water.

The only consolation is that he lives in a beachfront mansion in Naples and has a front row seat to the smell, dead fish, and overall decimation of Florida's west coast beaches and tourism.

And now this putz is running for the Senate and wants to do to the country what he did to Florida.

Old 08-04-2018, 07:50 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,741,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Beautiful, Jean.

And yet our governor continues to roll back environmental regulations that could have lessened the formation of the algae and the impact of red tide. During his eight years in office, he has rolled back crucial safeguards like septic-tank inspections that ensure waste isn’t seeping into water systems. He has cut almost $700 million in funding for water management districts largely responsible for the protection of waterways. He appointed water management board members more concerned with the rights of polluters than clean water.

The only consolation is that he lives in a beachfront mansion in Naples and has a front row seat to the smell, dead fish, and overall decimation of Florida's west coast beaches and tourism.

And now this putz is running for the Senate and wants to do to the country what he did to Florida.
Scott’s record speaks volume and his stance on term limits is so transparent.

The local news outlets tend to downplay or not report on anything that could harm tourism. Local groups through FB and contacting people with influence have brought this to the attention of the national news outlet. Bad timing for an election year for some politicians, it’s about time, but hopefully a good start for the environment.

The part that is bothering me, is not the great activism and involvement from citizens that has come about, but the hysteria that happens when a large group of people get emotional. Some believe any video or information put out out online, especially if it dovetails with what they think must be the cause. Everyone wants to jump on a bandwagon and point fingers and if I don’t and want to wait and hear more opinions, then I must be part of the problem. Social media at its best and worst is going on right now.

Old 08-04-2018, 08:31 AM

5,102 posts, read 3,578,192 times
I agree jean, but I was just remembering when we didn't have internet & all you really had were newscasts or newspapers. Or go to the library. So much easier to research these days!

Have to be careful what to believe these days though.

Old 08-04-2018, 08:37 AM

4,882 posts, read 3,382,746 times
It seems that the environmental problems FL is having right now is a country-wide problem. I'm not saying red tide is a problem for the rest of us but there is plenty of other things being started by our government that will harm our country big time.

Old 08-04-2018, 09:38 AM

4,951 posts, read 4,494,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
It seems that the environmental problems FL is having right now is a country-wide problem. I'm not saying red tide is a problem for the rest of us but there is plenty of other things being started by our government that will harm our country big time.
It's been a crazy summer all over the US - and the rest of the world. I feel so sorry for those poor folks who got killed in that awful fire in Greece a little while back. It's been dry, dry, dry in southern Colorado - we are in the middle of a 15 year drought here - and I am just praying that we get enough snow in the mountains this winter, so that my farming and ranching friends will have the water to irrigate their crops next summer.

Old 08-04-2018, 11:21 AM
JRR

3,873 posts, read 2,323,605 times
It is hot here and we have not had any appreciable rain for two weeks. 20% chance today with increasing over the next few days, but I'll believe it when I see it. All the rain seems to keep sliding just enough to the East and South to miss us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement