U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2018, 01:58 PM

8,766 posts, read 9,841,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
No fires in Las Vegas, but between the ones in CA and AZ the valley is full of smoke. Burning eyes, cleaning "junk" out of them constantly, lungs can feel it (I have a strange lung problem), and my nose doesn't like it at all.

I would not trade those in places where the fires are. Hopefully they will get them under control and out.

Edit: Right after I wrote this I looked up to see my wife using eye drops.

You must be getting smoke from the fires over this way. There are 6 or 7 going right now from Flagstaff to Grand Canyon and one of those on the North Rim. Went to have lab work done this morning early and saw that the entire valley is surrounded by smoke from them. Maybe that's why MY eyes feel so awful.

Starting today we are 'supposed' to have thunder storms through Saturday but not much accumulation. Then three days of partly cloudy and, again, thunder storms Wednesday through Saturday. We'll see. They often predict that but most of the time it fizzles. Promises, promises. Right now, except for all the smoke, the skies are blue and the sun is shining. Supposed to be 99 today but after that the temps run 88-95. So, below 100 at least.

Old 08-08-2018, 02:14 PM

11,202 posts, read 12,681,779 times
And in summer I hang the clothes outside in my solar powered clothes dryer. In this 100 degrees and hot wind they dry in a little over a second. Sadly, now all my clothes smell like a forest fire.

Old 08-08-2018, 03:19 PM

758 posts, read 502,183 times
All that smoke sounds awful! I know what that's like when we get it here, usually in June but I heard there is a fire up around the north rim of the Grand Canyon...just horrible.

I wish I could send some of the heavy rain we are supposed to get up your way Jim and Rambler! They say it is partly due to a hurricane down south, so maybe some will make it to SW CO?

Old 08-08-2018, 04:35 PM
ERH

1,229 posts, read 1,693,670 times
mathjak and others who know what they're talking about re: all things retirement/personal finance, which resources (publications, blogs, authors) do you follow and find most credible?

Old 08-08-2018, 04:53 PM

5,757 posts, read 3,046,581 times
Last night and this morning had the most intensely smoky air. I too had to choose between closing windows during the few cool hrs or breathing the smoke both outside and in. Early afternoon to dinnertime it typically improves, but that is the hottest part of the day. Ugh.

And now there is a hot, dry wind. The humidity from the earlier monsoons (more than two weeks ago) has vanished.

If I could join a huge community rain dance, I would!

Rambler: When I bought groceries, the checkout clerk asked me if I were shopping to get inside AC from the smoky air! Sad part is that in town the smoky air was noticeably less smoky than where I live. As soon as I began driving up The Devilís Highway, the smoke density hit me like a wall, even in an ACed vehicle.

How appropriate...Devilís Highway. Iím renaming some places right now. HadesCamp Mesa. Monti-hell-o. Smoggy Draw. McHellMo Canyon. WeatherHell Mesa. Ovenweep Canyon. Fever Creek.

Last edited by pikabike; 08-08-2018 at 05:06 PM..

Old 08-08-2018, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuglf View Post
All that smoke sounds awful! I know what that's like when we get it here, usually in June but I heard there is a fire up around the north rim of the Grand Canyon...just horrible.

I wish I could send some of the heavy rain we are supposed to get up your way Jim and Rambler! They say it is partly due to a hurricane down south, so maybe some will make it to SW CO?

Looks like we aren't going to get that rain they predicted for this evening. I thought I heard some thunder earlier but maybe I'm just hearing things.

Old 08-08-2018, 09:36 PM

6,183 posts, read 9,247,291 times
ADB: It rained here, but not as much. But the thunder was terrific. Big big booms that rattled my bones !!

Old 08-08-2018, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
ADB: It rained here, but not as much. But the thunder was terrific. Big big booms that rattled my bones !!

You guys, and Sedona, seem to always get the rain and nothing here. My house is kind of high up so I have a good view of the Sedona area and, boy, sometimes it's really heavy over there. Sunshine here. Sigh.

Maybe the thunder I heard was just an 'echo' from Prescott. lol

Old 08-08-2018, 10:36 PM
JRR

3,873 posts, read 2,323,605 times
My sympathies to those dealing with the fires and smoke situation. Brings back memories of the 1998 fires in Florida. Step outside in the morning to the smokey air and it was still there when I left work. We went over to the coast to visit my mother one weekend. Coming back, I-95 was closed because of fire. Got on some back roads and did manage to get home. But in one spot, a fire was heading toward the road and was within a few hundred feet. We were the next to the last car to make it through before they shut it down. Interesting to be that close to a moving fire.

Old 08-09-2018, 11:01 AM

4,951 posts, read 4,494,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Last night and this morning had the most intensely smoky air. I too had to choose between closing windows during the few cool hrs or breathing the smoke both outside and in. Early afternoon to dinnertime it typically improves, but that is the hottest part of the day. Ugh.

And now there is a hot, dry wind. The humidity from the earlier monsoons (more than two weeks ago) has vanished.

If I could join a huge community rain dance, I would!

Rambler: When I bought groceries, the checkout clerk asked me if I were shopping to get inside AC from the smoky air! Sad part is that in town the smoky air was noticeably less smoky than where I live. As soon as I began driving up The Devil’s Highway, the smoke density hit me like a wall, even in an ACed vehicle.

How appropriate...Devil’s Highway. I’m renaming some places right now. HadesCamp Mesa. Monti-hell-o. Smoggy Draw. McHellMo Canyon. WeatherHell Mesa. Ovenweep Canyon. Fever Creek.
LOL! Too funny, pika! Thanks for making me laugh this morning.

Last night one of my cats got out and I had to grab a flashlight and go look for her. It was surreal. The air was sooper smoky and I could see tiny particles of soot sparkling in the light produced by my flashlight. Could barely see the stars, and I live in a rural area where the night time sky is filled with zillions of shinning stars.(I finally found kitty and brought her inside).

This morning it's still hazy but at least there's a breeze blowing so I can see the mesas again.

All you Arizona folk need to stop hogging the monsoon and let us folks in SW Colorado get some relief!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement