U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2018, 11:29 PM

4,951 posts, read 4,494,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
This summer has been mostly glorious here in NW AR, including the nights. We've had mostly moderate temps (highs in the upper 80s, lows in the low 60s), sufficient rain, and enough clear nights that I can attest to Mars being noticeably bright and clear.
Everything is green and lush, and many nights we've been able to sleep with the windows open. The fireflies are even still out and about, I don't recall ever seeing them in August before.
That's right. Rub it in, but cowgirls don't cry.

I miss fireflies. We don't have any to speak of in SW Colorado, but I remember being enchanted by them as a child when we lived in Kentucky. It's good to know that at least someone is having a nice summer. Enjoy, Bisquitmom!

Old 08-11-2018, 07:58 AM

11,202 posts, read 12,681,779 times
Quote:
This summer has been mostly glorious here in NW AR, including the nights. We've had mostly moderate temps (highs in the upper 80s, lows in the low 60s), sufficient rain, and enough clear nights that I can attest to Mars being noticeably bright and clear.
Everything is green and lush, and many nights we've been able to sleep with the windows open. The fireflies are even still out and about, I don't recall ever seeing them in August before.

Ah I miss living there.

Old 08-11-2018, 09:39 AM
JRR

3,873 posts, read 2,323,605 times
Quote:
I was just thinking the same thing about the fireflies; that they seemed to be here later this year. We have had a few hot days and a stretch of a couple of weeks without rain. But with a shower now and then, everything is back to lush and green and when I rolled the trash can out the other night, it felt downright cool.

Sunny day today with just a few puffs of clouds. Watching a hummingbird make his stops in front of my window at the Franklin tree and the cannas. Won't be too long until I start seeing the first color change on the trees on the plateau near my house. I do like that the seasons here are not too long; by the time I get tired of one it is about time for the next one to roll in.

Old 08-11-2018, 01:20 PM

758 posts, read 502,183 times
Quote:
Sounds nice!

Old 08-12-2018, 04:13 PM

1,645 posts, read 631,336 times
I miss the Fire Flies, too. We also called them Lightning Bugs. Hubby, brother, and I all grew up in Illinois and that is where we saw them. None here in dry and hot Arizona. Our daughters used to fly up to IL to their grandma, where they got to experience catching lightning bugs and watching the 4th of July parade. And Oberweiss ice cream. But we have good ice cream here in Arizona, too!

Old 08-12-2018, 07:20 PM

5,757 posts, read 3,046,581 times
Fire flies—so pretty and evocative of summer nights!

My favorite memory of them is watching fireworks in VT. When the fireworks flashed off and darkness prevailed for a few moments, the fireflies all flashed in unison! A little girl had a firefly signalling in her hair and giggled with glee when her mom told her.

Old 08-12-2018, 10:57 PM

10,851 posts, read 8,203,309 times
Just one more thing I love about my new hometown:
https://www.arkansasonline.com/news/.../joe-copeland/
Quote:
Joe Copeland, 98 and a volunteer with the Fayetteville Public Library for 40 years, sits Thursday, August 2, 2018, in the used book shop at the library. - Consider, if you will, what Copeland has witnessed and accomplished in his 98 years on Earth: The oldest of eight kids, he helped raise his younger siblings as his father struggled to support the family on a teacher’s salary during the Great Depression. As a young man, he would become the family’s financial anchor, working with the Civilian Conservation Corps to build Devil’s Den State Park. In World War II, he was part of multiple military campaigns and sacrificed most of his hearing during his participation in the Allied invasion of Sicily. As an adult, he loyally spent 40 years of his life working for Caterpillar and has, so far, given 45 years to the Fayetteville Public Library, where he is one of the longest-working volunteers in the library’s history.

Old 08-12-2018, 10:58 PM

1,157 posts, read 1,020,323 times
We call them lighting bugs here. My youngest starts a new job tomorrow. She will be working with the special kids who need the most help. She's nervous, but I think she will be good at it.

Old 08-12-2018, 11:08 PM

10,851 posts, read 8,203,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJW50 View Post
We call them lighting bugs here. My youngest starts a new job tomorrow. She will be working with the special kids who need the most help. She's nervous, but I think she will be good at it.
Speaking as a former (long ago) teacher of very special kids: being nervous is good, the kids will help her get over it!

Old 08-12-2018, 11:23 PM

1,157 posts, read 1,020,323 times
Quote:
Speaking as a former (long ago) teacher of very special kids: being nervous is good, the kids will help her get over it!
She is a para. She was a lunch lady, it was time for a change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement