Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2018, 11:33 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,508,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJW50 View Post
She is a para. She was a lunch lady, it was time for a change.
Then she surely knows what's she's doing. Respect and kudos, she's got this.

Old 08-13-2018, 07:39 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,829,872 times
Well yesterday evening had a dust storm, 68mph wind gusts and 105 degrees. I had siding blown off shingles blown off and my ham radio antenna is somewhere in the next county. Everything coated in dust (inside and out).

Old 08-13-2018, 10:44 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,601,455 times
The other side (east) of the Las Vegas valley had a big storm go through Saturday night. We watched it from our house (west side "up the hill") and it had a lot of lightning and what looked like dust (actually sand here).

Yesterday one of the posters said an entire roof was blown off a house.

Old 08-13-2018, 10:48 AM

6,926 posts, read 6,916,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Well yesterday evening had a dust storm, 68mph wind gusts and 105 degrees. I had siding blown off shingles blown off and my ham radio antenna is somewhere in the next county. Everything coated in dust (inside and out).
Dust storms - yuck! You have my sympathies. We haven't had any dust storms in the Four Corners - yet. We did have some clouds and wind yesterday evening - plus about 10 drops of rain. Whooo-Hooo!

Speaking of fireflies, I went out at about 2AM Sunday morning to watch the Perseid meteor shower. I stretched myself out prone in the adirondack chair out back and my kitty came and jumped in my lap. There was a meteor every couple of minutes or so - some with long tails - very nice display. Unfortunately the mosquitos were out too, and after a while they drove me plus kitty back inside.

@pikabike - Fireworks accompanied by fireflies sounds lovely. I bet the fireflies were trying to figure out who the alien invaders were and were blinking in time with one another as a show of strength!

Old 08-13-2018, 01:11 PM

4,530 posts, read 3,737,136 times
Hot, humid and red tide here in SWFL. Today is the first day of school today for the grandkids, they met their teachers last week. Summer vacation blew by in the wink of an eye this year. We planned on taking the grandkids to their great grandma’s house again this summer, but it didn’t work out and we ran out of time. Fireflies were the highlight of the visit there last year, they had never seen them before.

We signed all the paperwork for our wills, dPOA’s, and living wills today. It feels good to have that done finally. We had a few questions, but other than that, it was pretty straightforward. The library has a Medicare 101 session on Wednesday that is straight info with no selling I’m going to attend. I have been deluged with mail and emails offering Medicare supplements all summer since I turn 65 at the end of the year. Double whammy this week!

Old 08-13-2018, 03:49 PM

22,634 posts, read 14,908,919 times
I wanted to see the Perseid Meteor shower on both Saturday and Sunday evenings, but the weather wouldn't cooperate. It was sunny and nearly cloudless on both days but the clouds arrived in late afternoon and by night time the sky was completely overcast. I think astronomy is fascinating. I remember when I was a little kid in elementary school learning about the solar system ... back in those days Pluto was a full fledged planet, Saturn had something like 9 moons and Jupiter had 12 - my, how our understanding of the solar system has changed!!!

Old 08-13-2018, 09:01 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,656,861 times
I too wanted to see the Perseids. Around here, the skies have so much smoke even on the clearer nights that we’ve lost the normal brilliance. However, the last few nights I have been lucky enough to randomly spot a few meteors without searching for it. The movement catches my notice.

No fireflies, though.

Rambler, last year an astronomy club held star parties at Mesa Verde. I went to the one in September. Haven’t seen any info on whether they will do it this year.

Old 08-13-2018, 09:17 PM
JRR

8,144 posts, read 5,619,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
Hot, humid and red tide here in SWFL. Today is the first day of school today for the grandkids, they met their teachers last week. Summer vacation blew by in the wink of an eye this year. We planned on taking the grandkids to their great grandma’s house again this summer, but it didn’t work out and we ran out of time. Fireflies were the highlight of the visit there last year, they had never seen them before.

We signed all the paperwork for our wills, dPOA’s, and living wills today. It feels good to have that done finally. We had a few questions, but other than that, it was pretty straightforward. The library has a Medicare 101 session on Wednesday that is straight info with no selling I’m going to attend. I have been deluged with mail and emails offering Medicare supplements all summer since I turn 65 at the end of the year. Double whammy this week!

Oh, how I remember that year of turning 65 and having to beat the Medicare supplement/advantage plan people off with a stick. I actually had one call me stupid (in a roundabout way) because I said that I already knew what supplement I was going to get. He said that I might think that I knew what I was doing, but I really had no idea and should let him guide me.

Then the next year we had round 2 when my wife turned 65.

Old 08-13-2018, 09:59 PM

1,481 posts, read 1,374,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Then she surely knows what's she's doing. Respect and kudos, she's got this.
She said she had a good day. It's different. She's used to hustling from the time she clocks in until she clocks out.

Old 08-13-2018, 11:24 PM
JRR

8,144 posts, read 5,619,378 times
Today was a shopping day for us. Now that I have got shelves in the garage along one wall, I have room for a freezer. Along with a new toilet for the master bathroom (chair height). And my wife ordered a new chair for the living room to replace one that we have had since 1979.

Got an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon in the morning to discuss a knee replacement. Probably do it sometime after the first of the year. Hate the thought of doing it, but it isn't getting any better; bone on bone is no fun anymore. Already have had a hip replacement; getting new parts bit by bit.

Stayed up until 2 AM looking for meteors. Only saw 18 and just one that was bright with a trail. Maybe I'll do better in December.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.