U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-20-2018, 08:06 PM
 
Location: Western Colorado
11,202 posts, read 12,681,779 times
Reputation: 26582

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post
Wow! Send a nice 48 degree morning down here please, Jim. I think we will have to wait until November or December for that weather. But we are halfway + through August, so not too much longer.

No I'm keeping it. It's been in the 100's since June 1 with nights in the high 60's. Of course tonight forecast cloudy and low around 68. UGH...so my window air conditioner will run on high all night.

 
Old 08-21-2018, 07:46 AM
 
Location: Western Colorado
11,202 posts, read 12,681,779 times
Reputation: 26582
At 1am it was 82 degrees and 71 at 6am. So much for the cooler air!
 
Old 08-21-2018, 11:15 AM
 
Location: CO/UT/AZ/NM Catch me if you can!
4,951 posts, read 4,494,276 times
Reputation: 10688
^^^

82 degrees at 1:00 AM? Yikes! That sounds more like Arizona than Colorado. My sympathies. The high out here was 92 yesterday, but the temps go down to 55 or so in the small hours of the morning. It's only supposed to get into the low to middle 80's for the next few days with a good chance of rain (Fingers crossed. Come on rain!)

They just got in their second cutting of hay in the fields behind my house. They were working after dark last night with bright lights attached to the haying equipment. This morning it looks like a picture postcard with all those neat bales of hay and the Sleeping Ute Mountains and the mesas in the background.

When I step outside, it smells like a thousand freshly mowed lawns - a vast improvement over the smell of smoke which has hung around for weeks.

My garden is going wild - I have zillions of tomatoes that I don't know what to do with since I don't know how to can. Plus, there are 7 apple trees planted around my house and they all are getting ripe RIGHT NOW! I have to be careful where I walk for fear of slipping on all the fallen apples.

I think I'm going to gather up as many boxes as I can and donate them to the local food bank. Plus make an apple pie or ten.
 
Old 08-21-2018, 12:00 PM
 
Location: Central NY
4,882 posts, read 3,382,746 times
Reputation: 12643
^^^^^^ If you are serious about canning tomatoes, Google it. Maybe even UTube it? Those two sites seem to have everything and anything you might want to know.

You can make applesauce, too.

But then, I'll bet you already know all that!!!
 
Old 08-21-2018, 12:34 PM
 
Location: CO/UT/AZ/NM Catch me if you can!
4,951 posts, read 4,494,276 times
Reputation: 10688
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
^^^^^^ If you are serious about canning tomatoes, Google it. Maybe even UTube it? Those two sites seem to have everything and anything you might want to know.

You can make applesauce, too.

But then, I'll bet you already know all that!!!
Thanks for the suggestions! The thing is that it simply boggles my mind when I look at the vast quantity of nature's bounty. I'm thinking of putting up a sign out front:

Free Apples! You pick!

Or maybe I could charge a little something for admission and get enough money for a night out on the town!
 
Old 08-21-2018, 12:42 PM
 
Location: Central NY
4,882 posts, read 3,382,746 times
Reputation: 12643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Thanks for the suggestions! The thing is that it simply boggles my mind when I look at the vast quantity of nature's bounty. I'm thinking of putting up a sign out front:

Free Apples! You pick!

Or maybe I could charge a little something for admission and get enough money for a night out on the town!



What kind of apples? I wish I could pick some.

I used to can tomatoes...... could probably remember how.

Darn....... too many miles in between. If I ever win the lottery, I need to do a road trip.
 
Old 08-21-2018, 09:24 PM
 
Location: Cochise county, AZ
5,102 posts, read 3,578,192 times
Reputation: 10943
I don't like to can so when I had a bunch of tomatoes I looked up freezing them & yup, it can be done & they work great in chili, soups & stews.

For apples, I cut them up & froze them too. But, food banks would probably appreciate them too.
 
Old 08-21-2018, 10:29 PM
 
5,757 posts, read 3,046,581 times
Reputation: 10989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Thanks for the suggestions! The thing is that it simply boggles my mind when I look at the vast quantity of nature's bounty. I'm thinking of putting up a sign out front:

Free Apples! You pick!

Or maybe I could charge a little something for admission and get enough money for a night out on the town!
You can slice and dehydrate the apples. Yummy snacking.
 
Old 08-21-2018, 10:36 PM
JRR
 
Location: Middle Tennessee
3,873 posts, read 2,323,605 times
Reputation: 5721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
^^^

82 degrees at 1:00 AM? Yikes! That sounds more like Arizona than Colorado. My sympathies. The high out here was 92 yesterday, but the temps go down to 55 or so in the small hours of the morning. It's only supposed to get into the low to middle 80's for the next few days with a good chance of rain (Fingers crossed. Come on rain!)

They just got in their second cutting of hay in the fields behind my house. They were working after dark last night with bright lights attached to the haying equipment. This morning it looks like a picture postcard with all those neat bales of hay and the Sleeping Ute Mountains and the mesas in the background.

When I step outside, it smells like a thousand freshly mowed lawns - a vast improvement over the smell of smoke which has hung around for weeks.

My garden is going wild - I have zillions of tomatoes that I don't know what to do with since I don't know how to can. Plus, there are 7 apple trees planted around my house and they all are getting ripe RIGHT NOW! I have to be careful where I walk for fear of slipping on all the fallen apples.

I think I'm going to gather up as many boxes as I can and donate them to the local food bank. Plus make an apple pie or ten.
This bring back memories of when I was around 12 or so. We had moved to Florida and one summer we went up to New York to visit for a month an aunt and uncle who had a dairy farm. It was haying time and my job was to hook the bales as they came off of the baler and drag them back on the wagon to my father who stacked them. Then it was off to the barn where I would put the bales on the conveyor up to the barn where my father and uncle stacked them. Hard work but I enjoyed it. While they were doing the evening milking, I would head off to do a bit of fishing, then dinner and kick back on the front porch to talk and relax before an early bedtime. Even got to watch Rocky and Bullwinkle now and then.

Weather here is going to cool down a bit for the next couple of days as a cold front has gone through. Going to be in the 50s at night and high 70s during the day but gets back into the mid 80s by the weekend. Hopefully we are done with the 90s for the year.

When we lived in South Carolina and had loads of tomatoes, my wife froze them. Dropped them in boiling water for a few seconds until the skins split and then peeled them and put them in the freezer containers.
 
Old 08-21-2018, 10:49 PM
 
Location: Nebraska
1,157 posts, read 1,020,323 times
Reputation: 1030
Got 8 inches of rain yesterday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top