U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2018, 07:11 AM

11,202 posts, read 12,681,779 times

Advertisements

.31" of rain here which is the first good rain since April. Hopefully the summer heat wave is broken.

Old 08-22-2018, 08:58 AM

8,766 posts, read 9,841,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
.31" of rain here which is the first good rain since April. Hopefully the summer heat wave is broken.

Don't know how much we got yesterday but I guess I can quit complaining about no rain! It came down so hard and furious it totally flooded my yard, the street and washed away some of the rock in my driveway. The wind was horrible too. It has been a lot cooler, in the 80s, which is nice. We are supposed to have more storms this week but we'll see. It starts out sunny and blue skies but can get ugly real fast here.

Old 08-22-2018, 09:19 AM
JRR

3,873 posts, read 2,323,605 times
Beautiful day here today. Temperature right now is 74 with scattered sunshine and it will stay under 80 for the day. Opened the windows when I got back from walking; first time I've done that for a while.

Old 08-22-2018, 10:35 AM

4,951 posts, read 4,494,276 times
The monsoon has finally arrived with a shower of rain and highs in the mid 70's to low 80's, and I'm loving it!

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions re all my tomatoes and apples!

I'm going to try freezing some and dropping off the rest at the food bank. All those fallen apples have been attracting the deer and yesterday I saw evidence that a bear had paid a visit. Thank heavens we only have brown bears in Colorado - no grizzlies.

@JRR
- Thanks for sharing your memories of haying when you were a boy. Reminds me of my own visits to my grandparent's farm in Kentucky when I was a child. They had both a hay barn and a tobacco barn and grew most of their own food. Hard work and wonderful memories!

Old 08-22-2018, 11:22 AM

758 posts, read 502,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Don't know how much we got yesterday but I guess I can quit complaining about no rain! It came down so hard and furious it totally flooded my yard, the street and washed away some of the rock in my driveway. The wind was horrible too. It has been a lot cooler, in the 80s, which is nice. We are supposed to have more storms this week but we'll see. It starts out sunny and blue skies but can get ugly real fast here.
Yeah, I saw that big storm over your area on the weather map. We didn't get any here. Wonder what today will bring?

Old 08-22-2018, 11:49 AM

2,266 posts, read 2,086,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I don't like to can so when I had a bunch of tomatoes I looked up freezing them & yup, it can be done & they work great in chili, soups & stews.

For apples, I cut them up & froze them too. But, food banks would probably appreciate them too.

This year I discovered that I can wash and cut up zucchini, freeze it on a flat surface like a cookie sheet, and then put it in a freezer bag. It keeps beautifully that way and is easy to use.

Old 08-22-2018, 01:47 PM

1,269 posts, read 1,144,942 times
Freezing zucchini is the way to go. At first I did it like you're doing with the cookie sheet, then the freezer bag. But that didn't work out when my freezer was stuffed full so I just sliced the zucchini and put it in the freezer bag. I did sort of flatten out the bag once it was in the freezer but it was flexible so I could drape it over other things. Once it was frozen I fluffed it up and squashed it (no pun intended!) in a convenient corner of the freezer.

I do the same thing with grapes. The hardest thing about freezing grapes is not eating them all on a hot day once they're frozen. Freezing seems to heighten their sweetness. Makes me exercise my willpower!

Old 08-23-2018, 08:01 AM

8,766 posts, read 9,841,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuglf View Post
Yeah, I saw that big storm over your area on the weather map. We didn't get any here. Wonder what today will bring?

We did get another storm yesterday but not nearly as much as Wed.. Boy, that was a deluge! I need to contact the city to come look at the street in front of my house. A real ditch is developing out there and messing up my driveway entrance.

Old 08-23-2018, 09:05 AM

11,202 posts, read 12,681,779 times
Another .12" of rain this morning, clearing now and 54 degrees. Smells so good out, dust is gone, smoke is gone. Actually had to wear a windbreaker when I took the trash out down my 300 yard driveway.

Old 08-23-2018, 09:33 AM

6,498 posts, read 3,709,547 times
Lovely days right now in Southern MN but the air is cool - a sign of impending Fall. I remember when August used to be our warmest month.

I just want to mention a selling technique I've been bothered with all summer for those of you who aren't yet in the know. Someone calls and says they are representing a bank and that they are in charge of coming to your home to look through your new annual Medicare booklet with you and explain your benefits. On what day can they make an appointment with you?

Don't know how many people apparently have been "assigned" to me. A lot! After the first call I called a local volunteer agency in town for Seniors and they told me they will do this for free and that probably those were people selling extra health insurance to Seniors.

I guess this is a good thing for people who don't understand their coverage and may need extra insurance. But I am really irritated by the deceptive way they all have presented themselves as appointed by the government just to help me especially. I would have been extra irritated to have made an appointment and then wasted part of an afternoon with them in my house. This teeters on the edge of fraudulent and I hope they aren't taking advantage of people who can't easily make decisions for themselves.

Last edited by Lodestar; 08-23-2018 at 10:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement