U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2018, 06:25 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,741,218 times

Advertisements

Belated Happy Birthday, Jim!

Tropical Storm Gordon went by south of here, giving us some rain and wind. He effects were less than our recent daily afternoon summer thunderstorms. Itís hard to see any change in the weather here, but our pool is showing it. Instead of temps of 88-90, the water is now 84-86. Those incremental changes arenít apparent in the days, but we are noticing slightly cooler evenings here and there.

Old 09-04-2018, 09:36 AM

1,645 posts, read 630,703 times
Good morning! I am up bright and early, for me! The reason I am up early is that my Hubby had to have a sleep apnea test last night and I had to go pick him up at 5:45am. Well, I got there and asked the technician how he did, and he said he had an agitated night [not a surprise] and did not sleep much, only 1 and 1/2 hours. But in that period, he stopped breathing 45 times! He also told us that Medicare will not pay for a machine unless the test is over 2 hours, so he will probably come back for a 2nd test and be given a sleeping pill next time! I wanted to share this because my hubby does not fit the image of a person for sleep apnea, since he is not over-weight and has a 15 and 1/2 neck size. He was referred due to having morning headaches - another less-known symptom. But it can happen to anybody. There was a little 2 year-old girl being tested there last night.

I know many places had stormy weather over the Labor Day weekend. And Tropical Storm Gordon is going to hit down south. We had pleasant weather here; it is warm, but starting to cool off just a little. High today will be about 100 but will be back up to 107 by next Saturday, the forecasts predict.

Wishing all of you a good week!

Old 09-04-2018, 12:25 PM

4,879 posts, read 3,380,409 times
Retirement, that time in life when things can go wrong. Like health.

In addition to an A1 score of 6.3 (diabetic), I have high cholesterol (288). Because of the combination, my doctor is recommending I take a statin.

Some years ago another doctor put me on a statin and a few years later told me to stop taking them. No real explanation but did hear that statins were no longer good for us.

So, what say you? Any of you taking statins? Is it important to take them if you also have diabetes?

I really have no good knowledge of any of this.

Thanks for any help.

Old 09-05-2018, 09:25 AM

1,362 posts, read 3,827,799 times
NYgal1542, my stepson is 38 and has very high cholesterol too. He went to another cardiologist who has him following the KETO diet. He's been on it strictly for 3 months now and will be getting his cholesterol checked again. His doctor is trying to avoid statins at all costs. I was also told by 2 friends who work in the pharmaceutical field that he should try the KETO diet before going on any statins.

Old 09-05-2018, 11:10 AM

46Barb: Thank you! I think I'm just going to refuse the statin. The doctor who took me off them was a good doctor and I am not willing to take a risk that they suddenly became good for me.

I've heard of the Keto diet...... I'll check it out. Thanks.

Old 09-05-2018, 11:53 AM

6,183 posts, read 9,242,986 times
NYGal: Have you calculated your cholesterol ratio? Divide your total chol. by your HDL and you will get a ratio. If it is higher than 1to 4 it might be a problem. The higher your good cholesterol is (HDL), the better off you are. Look in Google: cholesterol ratio.

Old 09-05-2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
NYGal: Have you calculated your cholesterol ratio? Divide your total chol. by your HDL and you will get a ratio. If it is higher than 1to 4 it might be a problem. The higher your good cholesterol is (HDL), the better off you are. Look in Google: cholesterol ratio.

So far I have only one number and I'm not even sure which number it is. The nurse said it's the fact that I now have diabetes that causes the concern. But I'm not going to worry about it. Not trying to be flip. I just don't want to take another pill that could very well not be good for me.

Old 09-05-2018, 10:44 PM

5 posts, read 2,118 times
I got my cholesterol down to 150 and my A1c down to 5.8. [mod cut - see TOS, Recommendations are allowed for posters that have at least 10 posts.]

Last edited by VTsnowbird; 09-09-2018 at 05:42 AM..

Old 09-07-2018, 10:48 PM
JRR

3,871 posts, read 2,320,936 times
Looks like it is going to be an interesting week coming up for those who live on the US East Coast. It appears that Florence will become a major hurricane by Tuesday and may be taking aim at the coast anywhere from Florida northward. And another storm should wind up to hurricane force later in the week and will be heading toward the Lesser Antilles and maybe Puerto Rico and the US Mainland later.

After all those years that I lived in Florida, it seems kind of strange to just be an observer and not to have to be thinking about what action to take as a storm comes closer. I've got my fingers crossed for the people in Puerto Rico and those in the coastal US.

Old 09-08-2018, 08:35 AM

353 posts, read 176,970 times
Our daughter and her friend are spending 10 days in Bermuda with my husband's family that lives there. They are hoping Florence doesn't get too close to the island. Five cruise ships have canceled their Bermuda runs for next week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement