Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2018, 09:49 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
Looks like it is going to be an interesting week coming up for those who live on the US East Coast. It appears that Florence will become a major hurricane by Tuesday and may be taking aim at the coast anywhere from Florida northward. And another storm should wind up to hurricane force later in the week and will be heading toward the Lesser Antilles and maybe Puerto Rico and the US Mainland later.

After all those years that I lived in Florida, it seems kind of strange to just be an observer and not to have to be thinking about what action to take as a storm comes closer. I've got my fingers crossed for the people in Puerto Rico and those in the coastal US.

I know other areas have suffered horribly from the hurricanes. But my heart goes out especially to the people in Puerto Rico. I can't believe how poorly they have been helped, almost like they are a forgotten place.

Old 09-08-2018, 04:05 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,190,724 times
I subscribe to the US Navy FB page, and this morning they announced that a Sortie Condition Charlie is in effect for the ships in the Hampton Roads area. This was a public announcement; it means there is enough probability for the storm to head to that area, and all ships are asked to be ready to go out to sea in 48 hours if the need arises. It is safer for them to ride out the storm away from port. That being said, there are always Sailors on guard duty at our ports.

I am hoping this storm will head back out to sea. Kudos to our brave Military and First Responders and also Red Cross volunteers who do so much to help out when emergencies strike.

Old 09-10-2018, 07:31 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,014,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post
I am hoping this storm will head back out to sea.
Sadly, it doesn't look like there is any chance at all of that happening. The question isn't if it will hit the east coast, but where it will hit.

Old 09-10-2018, 08:46 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,868,731 times
Forecast highs in the 90's this week with high winds. Will be placed under a red flag warning and fire weather watch around mid week.

UGH.

Old 09-10-2018, 08:47 AM
JRR

8,165 posts, read 5,657,641 times
And it looks like Wilmington is right in the cross hairs for this. I was stationed there back in 1969-71 when I was in the Coast Guard. Liked my time there; thought it was a pretty city and have been back a couple of times to visit. I hate the thought of what a category 3/4 hurricane would to any area that it impacts and there are a lot of big trees near the downtown area.

Old 09-11-2018, 05:23 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,034,158 times
A perspective on the storm: Our beach place is at a Wilmington area beach right outside wilmington. The weather channel has been live from there. It is a projected ground zero. We left yesterday morning to return to the safety of just east of Raleigh. We had good timing getting gas, water, canned goods etc. About to go out hoping to find some rope left to tie things down.
It is what it is. Some neighbors at the coast were planning to stay close by their own place. Two of my neighbors in the Triangle also have a place at the beach. One has headed back down not sure where they would ride it out. The goal is to survive and if you play it smart that is very doable. Our choices were storm or storm.
It is the reality of our previous decisions and we are very happy with them.

Old 09-11-2018, 07:03 AM

5,328 posts, read 6,016,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
A perspective on the storm: Our beach place is at a Wilmington area beach right outside wilmington. The weather channel has been live from there. It is a projected ground zero. We left yesterday morning to return to the safety of just east of Raleigh. We had good timing getting gas, water, canned goods etc. About to go out hoping to find some rope left to tie things down.
It is what it is. Some neighbors at the coast were planning to stay close by their own place. Two of my neighbors in the Triangle also have a place at the beach. One has headed back down not sure where they would ride it out. The goal is to survive and if you play it smart that is very doable. Our choices were storm or storm.
It is the reality of our previous decisions and we are very happy with them.
Keep us informed, TuborgP. If I lived near your beach home, I'd be right behind ya!

Old 09-11-2018, 08:55 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,034,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Keep us informed, TuborgP. If I lived near your beach home, I'd be right behind ya!
Mandatory Evacuation there. However lot of risk here. When Matthew came it was worse here than at the beach because of the rain.

Old 09-11-2018, 09:06 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Mandatory Evacuation there. However lot of risk here. When Matthew came it was worse here than at the beach because of the rain.

I have some relatives in Carey, NC. Are they evacuating from there?

Old 09-11-2018, 09:17 AM

913 posts, read 885,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I have some relatives in Carey, NC. Are they evacuating from there?
Assuming you mean Cary, no it's not evacuating. We are expecting a lot of rain though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement