Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2018, 04:11 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,824,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
jim9251: I am very sorry for your loss of your friend on that horrifying day.

Thank you. But honestly I've lost a lot of friends along my career. Too many.

I hope folks on the east coast are really taking this hurricane seriously. Don't be one of those guys sitting on the roof of your house with a HELP ME sign. Get out now.

BTW it's 100 degrees here with 30-50mph hot howling winds.

Old 09-11-2018, 05:05 PM

31,680 posts, read 40,976,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
It is going to be interesting to see how this storm goes once it comes ashore. Models are all over the place. One has it just wandering around North/South Carolina for two days and then going back out into the Atlantic. Another has it going all the way to the NC/TN mountains and then coming back out. And one has it sitting in the sound between the mainland and the outer banks for two days before finally going inland.

No matter what, it is going to be a wet few days coming up for you.
Yup and depending on the weather source getting better or worse

Old 09-11-2018, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Today being 9/11...I was thinking about that day in 2001. I was on duty, we got a "call dispatch immediately" message and was put on tactical alert and 12 hour shifts. I was in northwest Arkansas (home to the largest retailer, trucking firm, poultry producer, and top research University in the world), the feeling was just surreal seeing uniformed US Marshals on the federal courthouse with automatic rifles, gas at $6.00 a gallon with long lines, stores full, and the only aircraft flying was fighter jets patrolling the area. For a time no one knew what to expect, and we all expected the worse. I had a friend on NYPD that day...had.

To the victims, survivors and to the families of that day, my heartfelt prayers and thoughts.
I have a neighbor who was NYFD and in the tower that day. Not good as he is PTSD scarred and loss a lot of friends that day

Old 09-11-2018, 09:38 PM

5,946 posts, read 5,099,666 times
Some prayers would be so appreciated for my great-niece and her family. They live in Cary, NC and are not leaving. I pray they get through this scary hurricane.
Thank you.

Old 09-12-2018, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Some prayers would be so appreciated for my great-niece and her family. They live in Cary, NC and are not leaving. I pray they get through this scary hurricane.
Thank you.
They should be fine. The outlook for Raleigh Triangle is much better. They are on the west side of town even better.

Old 09-12-2018, 08:00 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,824,527 times
Red Flag Fire Warning here today.

Old 09-12-2018, 10:25 AM

Our beach town will probably be destroyed according to the latest news and town manager. Won't be much left with most stores and homes along the beach totaled or close to it. We are off the beach and well above sea level and the biggest issue for us is wind damage. Also we are on the third floor so it is wind and more wind. We will eventually have a beach to sit on again but much of what we love about the town may be gone.

Old 09-12-2018, 11:01 AM

6,926 posts, read 6,914,715 times
Quote:
Thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Our beach town will probably be destroyed according to the latest news and town manager. Won't be much left with most stores and homes along the beach totaled or close to it. We are off the beach and well above sea level and the biggest issue for us is wind damage. Also we are on the third floor so it is wind and more wind. We will eventually have a beach to sit on again but much of what we love about the town may be gone.
My prayers go out to all who are in the path of this scary hurricane. Please be safe, everyone! I've never had to cope with a hurricane (thank heavens!). Where I live the big worry is fire. We're in the middle of a drought and have only gotten about 8 inches of rain this year (normal is a whopping 20 inches). I can't imagine the sky opening up and dropping 30 inches or more of rain in a couple of days or so. Too bad some of that rain couldn't be diverted to the Southwest!

Hope all ride out Florence safely and with little or no damage to their homes!

Old 09-12-2018, 11:07 AM

7,023 posts, read 6,257,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Red Flag Fire Warning here today.
Driving to Willcox yesterday there were signs off the freeway that read, fire danger extreme. My nephew wanted to have a cigarette and flick the ashes out the window. I yelped and said, okay shouted, NO! A few minutes later we saw the first fire danger sign.

I wonder if other folks from out of state think like he did and don't realize the risk.

Old 09-12-2018, 11:15 AM

2,061 posts, read 1,953,696 times
Default So Sorry to hear this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
So far we are only forcast to get heavy rain. 7 to 10 inches with some local at 20 inches. These amounts cause landslides and fell trees, as well as flood lower valleys. Power will most probably go out for sometime. We are at about 3,000 ft with nothing to slide down on us. We have a whole house generator, but are on a community well so expect to be without running water for a while. We feel very fortunate.

I fear the destruction at the coastlines will be immense. People really need to get out if ordered. It will take a long time to rebuild. I sure hope folks got their flood insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.