Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2018, 11:30 AM

31,680 posts, read 40,970,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
So far we are only forcast to get heavy rain. 7 to 10 inches with some local at 20 inches. These amounts cause landslides and fell trees, as well as flood lower valleys. Power will most probably go out for sometime. We are at about 3,000 ft with nothing to slide down on us. We have a whole house generator, but are on a community well so expect to be without running water for a while. We feel very fortunate.

I fear the destruction at the coastlines will be immense. People really need to get out if ordered. It will take a long time to rebuild. I sure hope folks got their flood insurance.
Saw a guy on tv other day one of his evacuation targets from Wrightsville Beach was Ashville. The other was Jacksonville.

Old 09-12-2018, 12:29 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,822,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Driving to Willcox yesterday there were signs off the freeway that read, fire danger extreme. My nephew wanted to have a cigarette and flick the ashes out the window. I yelped and said, okay shouted, NO! A few minutes later we saw the first fire danger sign.

I wonder if other folks from out of state think like he did and don't realize the risk.

There was a large fire on I-70 near Grand Junction last month started because some moron threw his cigarette out of his window.

Old 09-12-2018, 12:58 PM

695 posts, read 699,053 times
My son and his wife live in GJ and said they can't believe how hot and dry it's been this year.
Anyone who would throw a cigarette butt out the window is a slob, as well as a danger.

I'm so worried about my siblings in South Carolina. My brother, who lives in a big house in the Columbia area, invited my sister, who lives in a trailer in Myrtle Beach, to come stay with him and his family. She decided to stay with her daughter's family instead. Her daughter lives in Myrtle Beach and says she is just outside the mandatory evacuation zone. ��

Old 09-12-2018, 03:26 PM

3,550 posts, read 3,099,434 times
Sending good vibes to Tuborg and all other people on his forum who are dealing with Florence. I hope you don't get much damage, and stay safe.

Old 09-12-2018, 03:30 PM

3,550 posts, read 3,099,434 times
In Williamsburg we are feeling very lucky, indeed. Yesterday, we were talking evacuations. The schools and all facilities were closing. A few banks had closed. Trash pick up was cancelled. The power plant did a siren check. We really thought we might take a hit.

Then the storm turned. By this afternoon they decided we won't see more than a heavy rain storm. So all the closures have been cancelled. I'm especially happy that they'll pick up my trash.

Now all I have to do is figure out what to do with all the ice in my freezer. I filled many plastic bins and froze them, guess I might as well throw a party!

Old 09-12-2018, 04:21 PM
JRR

8,144 posts, read 5,612,434 times
Living with hurricanes is always interesting. Back in 2004, Charley was supposed to stay out in the Gulf for a bit longer and then come ashore in the Tampa area. So in Orlando, we were looking at just a bit of wind and rain. Then all of a sudden, it spun up a lot in intensity and made a bit of an unexpected right turn. So we went from no big deal to batten down the hatches because here it comes. Many people had left Tampa and came to Orlando to wait out the storm, in what they thought was a safe area. Little did they know that they were coming into the bullseye.

And just like real estate, with hurricanes it is location, location, location. Charley was small and intense. So while we were sitting in 100 mph winds in the dark, our friends in Mt Dora, 35 miles away, were getting a brisk breeze and a bit of rain.

Old 09-12-2018, 05:55 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,681,702 times
JRR,

I remember that Charley (a Cat 4 hurricane) was supposed to hit Tampa and the Orlando shelters and hotels were filled with evacuees and the people from Orlando had no place to go! And then 3 weeks later we were hit with Frances (a Cat 2 hurricane) and the ground was still saturated with water and buildings hadn't been repaired yet and there was still more damage. Then 3 weeks after Frances we were hit with Jeanne (a Cat 3 hurricane) and the damage just kept piling up.

That's about the time I started thinking of leaving Florida and moving some place that didn't have hurricanes :-)

Anyway, I am sending prayers for everyone in Hurricane Florence's path. Please stay safe.

Old 09-12-2018, 08:04 PM
JRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingatFL View Post
JRR,

I remember that Charley (a Cat 4 hurricane) was supposed to hit Tampa and the Orlando shelters and hotels were filled with evacuees and the people from Orlando had no place to go! And then 3 weeks later we were hit with Frances (a Cat 2 hurricane) and the ground was still saturated with water and buildings hadn't been repaired yet and there was still more damage. Then 3 weeks after Frances we were hit with Jeanne (a Cat 3 hurricane) and the damage just kept piling up.

That's about the time I started thinking of leaving Florida and moving some place that didn't have hurricanes :-)

Anyway, I am sending prayers for everyone in Hurricane Florence's path. Please stay safe.
As we sat there in 2016 watching Hurricane Matthew creep up the East Coast, with the forecast for us of a possibility of winds similar to Charley, I told my wife that there was no way I would be there for another hurricane season. Thankfully we got out in time to miss Irma last year.

Old 09-12-2018, 08:16 PM
JRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Thank you. But honestly I've lost a lot of friends along my career. Too many.

I hope folks on the east coast are really taking this hurricane seriously. Don't be one of those guys sitting on the roof of your house with a HELP ME sign. Get out now.

BTW it's 100 degrees here with 30-50mph hot howling winds.
I guess that I won't complain about it being in the mid 80s and humid here today. I am beginning to wonder if autumn is ever going to get here as our forecast is low to mid 80s for the next week.

Old 09-12-2018, 09:44 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,822,510 times
Forecast here for the 90's through next week and howling winds. Was 99 today 30mph sustained winds gusts around 58 or so. One thing about this wind it sure is clear at night. I can walk out see the edge of the Milky Way and shooting stars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.