U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2018, 08:19 AM

1,661 posts, read 1,351,744 times

Advertisements

We are starting to get rain from Flo. Should not be as bad as originally expected, though probably some flooding near the rivers and landslides on the mountains because of already saturated ground. We have dinner Reservations at Rezaz in Biltmore Village tonight- will call first.

According to friends, Wilmington is in dire shape.

Glad to hear from Tuborg - thankful you didn’t loose power for longer.

Old 09-16-2018, 08:29 AM

3,551 posts, read 1,742,076 times
I'm so glad you are ok! Thanks for posting

Old 09-16-2018, 11:20 AM

30,037 posts, read 35,221,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
We are starting to get rain from Flo. Should not be as bad as originally expected, though probably some flooding near the rivers and landslides on the mountains because of already saturated ground. We have dinner Reservations at Rezaz in Biltmore Village tonight- will call first.

Glad to hear from Tuborg - thankful you didnít loose power for longer.
power still out at beach and spoke with neighbor who said that other than a few shingles and some siding we did well. We had a fence down so as a HOA board member that is on my plate but pleased. I guess we could have some drainage if one of the shingles was our we could have some wet spots but we are happy.
Thanks for the concerns.

Old 09-16-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post

Glad to hear from Tuborg - thankful you didn’t loose power for longer.
Yes Wilmington is dire. They are cut off and running out of fuel for their water pumping facility.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/to...age/ar-BBNpcmP

Quote:
Homes and businesses in Wilmington and other parts of New Hanover County may lose drinking water because a major utility is critically low on fuel. Hurricane Florence has dumped a whopping two feet of rain on Wilmington and surrounding areas so far. The Cape Fear Public Utility Authority warned residents to prepare for the worst in a statement on its website Sunday. They could lose drinking water if the agency doesn't get needed fuel within 48 hours.
"We are in critical need of fuel to keep our water treatment plants running," the utility wrote.
It said it is exploring "every avenue" to find a potential fuel source. If it's unable to, water service for public health and safety — including firefighting and other vital services — will halt. Flood waters have made it impossible for authorities to access the area.
"Basically, Wilmington is currently cut off from the rest of the state," the agency said. "Needed resources cannot get here by roads due to extreme flooding."
This includes us and they are running low on food also. It is not going to be the property damage as much as the human suffering for those still there.

Old 09-16-2018, 01:03 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,282,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
This includes us and they are running low on food also. It is not going to be the property damage as much as the human suffering for those still there.

I am sorry for your neighbors and all the people dealing with the results of the hurricane. The news does a terrible job of educating us on what to expect. The storm lasts for hours and the news covers the flooding and the downed trees. But the news does not stick around to cover the results of the flood, the lack of food, water and electricity, all the diseases that can occur, the difficulty getting buildings repaired, and the con artists preying on everyone over the following months. It is the weeks after the storm that are the most difficult. When we are told to evacuate, we should be running from that just as much as the hurricane.

Sending prayers. Very glad you have minimal damage.

Old 09-16-2018, 01:04 PM
JRR

3,871 posts, read 2,320,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Thanks for checking we are good. Loss power on Friday for six-seven hours. Neighbors had a tree come down. Not sure the beach is as bad as the press is projecting. Flooding in some areas is normal and occurring again. They obviously pick the worse areas to highlight. Some major roads are terrible and the flood prone areas are facing a disaster.
The real story that needs to be told and hopefully will be is the impact of these storms on the poor and elderly. That is the real tragedy as the often have little to no resources to flee or recover with.
On another note the flooding in New Bern should be of interest in this forum as it is a popular retirement destination and has been mentioned often in this forum.

New Bern was originally on my list of places to move to in retirement. Mild weather, on the water, not too large or too small and lots of history. Then my wife reminded me of how much I disliked June 1st every year when hurricane season started and what 2004 was like in Florida, even though we were 40 miles inland. So New Bern was checked off of the list.

Old 09-16-2018, 09:30 PM

11,201 posts, read 12,675,819 times
It was 101 degrees today with 30mph hot winds and dust with smoke from the 70,000 acre wildfire behind me. We are begging for rain, just can't catch a break from this dry heat. Now 6" below normal in rainfall for the year and in an extreme drought.

And the east coast just wants a dry sunny week.

Old 09-17-2018, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingatFL View Post
I am sorry for your neighbors and all the people dealing with the results of the hurricane. The news does a terrible job of educating us on what to expect. The storm lasts for hours and the news covers the flooding and the downed trees. But the news does not stick around to cover the results of the flood, the lack of food, water and electricity, all the diseases that can occur, the difficulty getting buildings repaired, and the con artists preying on everyone over the following months. It is the weeks after the storm that are the most difficult. When we are told to evacuate, we should be running from that just as much as the hurricane.

Sending prayers. Very glad you have minimal damage.
There are still people without permanent homes from hurricane Matthew. Thanks to you and everyone for their concerns.

Old 09-17-2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
[/b]

New Bern was originally on my list of places to move to in retirement. Mild weather, on the water, not too large or too small and lots of history. Then my wife reminded me of how much I disliked June 1st every year when hurricane season started and what 2004 was like in Florida, even though we were 40 miles inland. So New Bern was checked off of the list.
Very true, New Bern was oft mentioned as a destination in this forum. I suspect its popularity will be on decline for awhile.

Old 09-18-2018, 01:54 PM

11,201 posts, read 12,675,819 times
100 degrees again today with howling hot 30-50mph desert winds. It was 82 degrees at midnight. This is getting old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement