U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-21-2018, 10:11 AM
Status: "Yabba Dabba DO!" (set 2 hours ago)
 
Location: Western Colorado
11,377 posts, read 12,958,692 times
Reputation: 27435

Advertisements

39 degrees this morning when I got up. Very nice and it was actually quiet for a change. Had a good 4 mile morning walk with my dog. It was sure good to have the windows open and those little window air conditioners off all night.


Yesterday I looked at a cabin where I want to live in the mountains, 2 bedroom one bath, wood burning stove. On 1 fenced acre. $1,800 a month with first and last and a $2,000 security deposit and NO pets. But you have a fenced yard? NO pets! Now we have 22 people waiting on this you want it or not? Um no...


And so it goes.

 
Old 09-21-2018, 12:12 PM
 
Location: SW US
2,337 posts, read 2,149,152 times
Reputation: 4105
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
Our September electric bill was posted online today. Last year, this same period was $172 and was our highest utility bill here. This one is $110, using 500+ less kWh. This is from putting in new windows and a new AC unit, but we are also running a pool pump now that we weren’t last year. We’ll never recoup the cost of the windows and AC, but along with lower bills, the outside noise is reduced and the house temp is more comfortable and even throughout. Our house is total electric.

I had to replace my old pool pump this spring and got a variable speed pump. I was shocked to find out how much less electricity it uses even running more hours. And the pool is cleaner too.
 
Old 09-21-2018, 01:32 PM
 
Location: ☀️ SWFL ⛱ 🌴
2,699 posts, read 1,848,664 times
Reputation: 9966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
I had to replace my old pool pump this spring and got a variable speed pump. I was shocked to find out how much less electricity it uses even running more hours. And the pool is cleaner too.
Less money and cleaner too is great!
I didn’t know what to expect with the pool as far as increases in our electric usage, we have a variable speed pump too. DS replaced his old single speed with a variable speed one last year and was surprised at the difference in his electric bill and was pleased with a quieter pump.
 
Old 09-22-2018, 08:55 AM
 
Location: Cochise County, AZ
1,388 posts, read 902,199 times
Reputation: 3002
Last night, I screwed up my courage, attended Open Mic Night in the city, and read my comedic short story. Though I trembled with nerves, my writing friends said it didn't look like it.

But, I did have trouble removing my paper clip from my papers, and the MC took my mic while I got myself sorted out. I moved one leg back a little bit to hide my jitters and continued. The audience laughed in all the right places and clapped when I was finished.

I'm still trying to write my great American novel: a series of three books about my third great-grandfather. November 1st will be three years since I started down this path. You'd think I'd have at least one of the novels finished by now! Through my research, I keep finding new and interesting things that I feel must be added. For example, I found out that one of his uncles died during the Revolutionary War and his cousin came to live with his family.

I've joined three somewhat local writing groups -- I say somewhat local as two groups require traveling about 25 miles to attend. One group is currently critiquing what I've written as the first novel. I'm loving this process because they're catching things that I missed. Though I'm not a passive person, I have a tendency to use passive voice in my writing, and they're helping me overcome this problem. They are also encouraging me to continue writing the series.

So I'm constantly busy with writing and researching the novels. I'm also active with my town's library and Friends groups. There never seems to be enough hours in a day.

Daily, I thank the Lord for giving me the window of opportunity to move to southeastern Arizona. I love it and my life here. I still find the wide open views amazing and now feel my previous life was enclosed in a fish bowl!

It's been a while since I've posted here, and thought it was time for me to check in. Hope you are all enjoying your days of retirement as much as I am.
 
Old 09-22-2018, 09:19 AM
Status: "Yabba Dabba DO!" (set 2 hours ago)
 
Location: Western Colorado
11,377 posts, read 12,958,692 times
Reputation: 27435
44 degrees this morning. Nice long sunrise walk with the dog. Saw bear poop behind my house on the trail, Yogi and BooBoo will be eating 22 hours a day before hibernation. Looks like they are going to the corns fields near me and chowing down.


Headed to look at an off grid mountain Yurt today.
 
Old 09-22-2018, 12:08 PM
 
Location: Prescott AZ
6,283 posts, read 9,460,158 times
Reputation: 12072
Dee: Such GREAT news ! You go girl ! Those dang paperclips need to stay out of your way. I think we all are looking forward to seeing your novel published so we can read it. It takes determination to write anything lengthy. I have tried and failed each time because I get bored with writing. Would rather read it instead. Glad you are prospering in AZ !
 
Old 09-22-2018, 12:19 PM
 
Location: SW US
2,337 posts, read 2,149,152 times
Reputation: 4105
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
Less money and cleaner too is great!
I didn’t know what to expect with the pool as far as increases in our electric usage, we have a variable speed pump too. DS replaced his old single speed with a variable speed one last year and was surprised at the difference in his electric bill and was pleased with a quieter pump.

Yes, much quieter too. The only problem I've found is that if any debris, like leaves, get into the pump basket they block the outlet and that can cause it to run dry. I have to clean that out more often, and also listen for changes in the sounds coming from the pump. It did that a couple of times until I figured out how to stop it.
 
Old 09-22-2018, 12:57 PM
 
Location: ☀️ SWFL ⛱ 🌴
2,699 posts, read 1,848,664 times
Reputation: 9966
DeeLughted, I’m always happy to see people being brave enough to step away from their comfort zone and succeed. Not having enough hours a day in retirement is a great problem to have!
 
Old 09-22-2018, 02:15 PM
 
Location: Yavapai County
767 posts, read 522,652 times
Reputation: 965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
Last night, I screwed up my courage, attended Open Mic Night in the city, and read my comedic short story. Though I trembled with nerves, my writing friends said it didn't look like it.

But, I did have trouble removing my paper clip from my papers, and the MC took my mic while I got myself sorted out. I moved one leg back a little bit to hide my jitters and continued. The audience laughed in all the right places and clapped when I was finished.
Good for you, Dee! Sounds like you did great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
I've joined three somewhat local writing groups -- I say somewhat local as two groups require traveling about 25 miles to attend.
In rural Arizona, I'd say 25 miles is quite local!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
Daily, I thank the Lord for giving me the window of opportunity to move to southeastern Arizona. I love it and my life here. I still find the wide open views amazing and now feel my previous life was enclosed in a fish bowl!

It's been a while since I've posted here, and thought it was time for me to check in. Hope you are all enjoying your days of retirement as much as I am.
Glad you are enjoying your retirement. Cochise County is is beautiful area. Nice post!
 
Old 09-23-2018, 07:49 AM
 
Location: Albuquerque NM
1,723 posts, read 1,616,878 times
Reputation: 3805
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
44 degrees this morning. Nice long sunrise walk with the dog. Saw bear poop behind my house on the trail, Yogi and BooBoo will be eating 22 hours a day before hibernation. Looks like they are going to the corns fields near me and chowing down.


Headed to look at an off grid mountain Yurt today.
I hope you find something but an off grid Yurt sounds extreme. Rents in western mountain communities are obscene. Central Oregon rents are $2K or more. And few allow pets, especialy cats.

I'm vacationing this week in SW Colorado. Plan to drive the San Juan Skyway and to stop in Ridgway to look around. Any dining recommendations?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top