U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2018, 09:41 AM

11,202 posts, read 12,681,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
I hope you find something but an off grid Yurt sounds extreme. Rents in western mountain communities are obscene. Central Oregon rents are $2K or more. And few allow pets, especialy cats.

I'm vacationing this week in SW Colorado. Plan to drive the San Juan Skyway and to stop in Ridgway to look around. Any dining recommendations?

Ridgway, the True Grit Café is the tourist spot to eat, good food. I also recommend Tacos del Gnar and Kate's Place for breakfast.

Enjoy traveling in paradise.

The Yurt didn't work out have to haul my own water and at $2,200 a month NO PETS. Geeze. I did find a 2 bedroom condo in Telluride for only $14,500 a month. A steal.

Last edited by jim9251; 09-23-2018 at 09:59 AM..

Old 09-23-2018, 01:21 PM

5,102 posts, read 3,578,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Ridgway, the True Grit Café is the tourist spot to eat, good food. I also recommend Tacos del Gnar and Kate's Place for breakfast.

Enjoy traveling in paradise.

The Yurt didn't work out have to haul my own water and at $2,200 a month NO PETS. Geeze. I did find a 2 bedroom condo in Telluride for only $14,500 a month. A steal.
Darn. I was hoping you could find something you like Jim, and could afford.

Sometimes I feel so lucky, knowing I have back up if I need it (my investment accounts) and my brother managing it, plus I am still astonished at how much better the cost of living is here. It may not seem like much to some but I roll over a couple hundred each month plus put some in savings.

I don't know, nor do I want to know, what your monthly income is. But, because I only have social security, my rent in a HUD building is based on income, which is how I manage. Would it be possible for you to do something like that? Our complex does allow pets, one of the reasons I chose it because I seriously needed a cat in my life. I would have chosen a dog but since I can't walk well it wouldn't have been fair to the animal. I really like my cat so it works for us.

It is more difficult when you have a pet to find a place to rent. I couldn't have one at my last apartment, but what a difference they make in our lives! Not just because we have a reason to get up in the morning, to feed them, but the love they give cannot be measured. So I certainly understand why it has to be a pet approved rental.

Well, fingers crossed that you will find something soon.

Old 09-23-2018, 03:31 PM

There's no HUD apartments where I want to live and in this horrible city I live near, I wouldn't live in the HUD apartments if they were the last place on earth. Anyway, there's a one year waiting list. I love the "fenced yard NO PETS, on 5 acres in the country NO PETS, pets ok, NO DOGS."

I'm still looking. At least it's cooling off here a bit, only 90 degrees today.

Old 09-24-2018, 04:38 PM

Got my new Medicare card today. And a notice from Humana they are increasing my prescription drugs plan (I never use) $10 a month starting next year.

Also got some Cohiba Red Dot cigars in the mail, so all is not lost.

Old 09-26-2018, 05:04 AM

3,423 posts, read 5,210,143 times
I generally check a weather website first thing each morning and today it listed both sunrise and sunset occurring at 7:14 at my latitude. Currently have 52 minutes of additional twilight but that number is dropping by more than 2 minutes a day. So it won't be long now until I'll be coping with more hours of darkness than light. We'll likely have our first frost in a few weeks and then it will be time to get the fireplace going.

Sometimes I wish I could get on a plane and move to Australia for half the year.

The good news - thunderstorm season will also come to an end and I can put away the Thundershirt that Boca wears but seems to get little help from. He'll get a good break from drooling and quivering that comes with each storm. So that's something.

Old 09-26-2018, 07:47 AM

6,977 posts, read 7,473,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
I generally check a weather website first thing each morning and today it listed both sunrise and sunset occurring at 7:14 at my latitude. Currently have 52 minutes of additional twilight but that number is dropping by more than 2 minutes a day. So it won't be long now until I'll be coping with more hours of darkness than light. We'll likely have our first frost in a few weeks and then it will be time to get the fireplace going.

Sometimes I wish I could get on a plane and move to Australia for half the year.

The good news - thunderstorm season will also come to an end and I can put away the Thundershirt that Boca wears but seems to get little help from. He'll get a good break from drooling and quivering that comes with each storm. So that's something.
They just announced Sat a.m. we will get our first frost - it's Sept. Last week it was 90F. Nuts. My heat is on now to get the chill off - it's 47F. I always test the heat early to make sure it'll work when I need it.

Poor Boca - I have one that use to get scared - now she's so old she just snores through it.

Old 09-26-2018, 08:15 AM

It was 38f this morning, I can't wait for the first frost and SNOW! Hopefully these 100 degree days since June are done.

Well looked at a townhome yesterday, affordable, nice, will accept a dog but in the middle of this city I live near. And I could hear the THUMP THUMP from the music next door. No thanks, and the landlord got mad because I wasted his time.

And so it goes...

Old 09-26-2018, 08:40 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,741,983 times
Instead of afternoon thunderstorms, the last two days have had evening storms. Both nights had over two hours of constant thunder. The storms here are amazing and I actually like them, but I take lightening seriously here. I go in or get out of the pool as soon as I hear the first rumble.

I’ve been attending Oceans 101 classes once a week and I’m loving it. They’ve been 3 1/2 hour brain workouts with PHD lecturing from the marine research facility for part of the class, active learning sessions and pre and post class online reading. This week was invertebrates with a dissection of a squid. I hadn't decided if I was going to stay for it, but I did and it was interesting. I won’t be eating fried calamari any time soon.

We have a quick four day trip coming up to see relatives, I had to dig out jeans and shoes to wear for cooler weather. More of an obligation than a vacation, but it will be a change of pace. DH took a day off from work. He’s been in his office for three hours so far. A day off for him means working less than usual.

Old 09-26-2018, 08:45 AM
JRR

3,873 posts, read 2,323,605 times
Another rainy day here in Tennessee. It actually started on Saturday afternoon and has been pretty steady; sometimes heavy and sometimes just a sprinkle. Our county has been under a flash flood warning. No problem for us as we are not in a low area and we also have a drainage system in our neighborhood.

Temperature is 72 and that should be about the high for the day. Nice day to have the windows open and listen to the raindrops. Going to pop some popcorn later and watch a movie on VUDU.

Hopefully we are done with the 80s for the year. I'm looking forward to the leaves changing. There is one backroad, up on the plateau a few miles from me, that had color last year that rivaled what I have seen along the Blue Ridge Parkway at autumn peak.

Sorry to hear that the townhouse didn't work out. But I agree; that music would drive me crazy. Many years ago we lived in a downstairs apartment for a while. The people overhead had a dog and they would throw a toy down the hallway for the dog to chase. So at different times of the day we could hear the dog running back and forth over our heads. Another time we rented a townhouse and the neighbors fought a lot. The woman screaming that she was going to cut his throat with a razor and him slamming her up against the wall. Thing like that can make apartment/condo living challenging. Then again, we rented a condo in Florida and you would have never known that we had neighbors as it was so quiet.

Old 09-26-2018, 08:58 AM

^ Thanks. If it was a condo in the mountain town I want to live that would be ok but this city I live near, I would never want to live in town. Too much drugs, shootings, gang fights, and unless you nail down your possessions they get stolen. Then they steal the nails.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement