U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2018, 09:09 AM

30,037 posts, read 35,229,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
She’s not far from where Michael made landfall. I’m so glad to hear she is alive with all that damage. They aren’t kidding when they say you can rebuild homes, but not lives. I watched ABCNews streaming live coverage on YouTube and they were in the middle of it. The pictures/videos coming out of there before dark were sobering. He’s still at hurricane strength in Georgia right now. This is one for the books.

Isn’t one of the members here in the Destin area too?
Not sure rebuilding homes is reasonable in some areas and for many people. Older homes need to be rebuilt to newer codes and may not be affordable to many. And the value of living in devestated areas may not be worth the cost of rebuilding.

Old 10-11-2018, 11:37 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,741,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Not sure rebuilding homes is reasonable in some areas and for many people. Older homes need to be rebuilt to newer codes and may not be affordable to many. And the value of living in devestated areas may not be worth the cost of rebuilding.
Changing codes through the years, coupled with FEMA rules, may make rebuilding impossible for those who still want to stay.

There is also the 50% rule in coastal areas that comes into play. Homes now below current (and ever changing) base flood elevations cannot be rebuilt if the amount goes above 50% of the home value. Owners are learning they can’t add additions or make major renovations. A flood or hurricane will likely guarantee a house can’t be rebuilt if there’s significant or even minimal damage, depending on the homes worth, if below BFE.

Many people think no one should be building in these areas anymore and these current codes and regulations are moving in that direction. Houses need to be built to withstand these storms, but it comes at a cost. In the near future only the rich will be able to build and maintain homes in these areas. Having a place near the beach won’t only be a dream, but an impossibility for most people in the coming years.

This video makes you wonder about the randomness and/or the construction.
https://twitter.com/EdPiotrowski/sta...121855488?s=20

Last edited by jean_ji; 10-11-2018 at 12:42 PM..

Old 10-11-2018, 03:12 PM

30,037 posts, read 35,229,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
Changing codes through the years, coupled with FEMA rules, may make rebuilding impossible for those who still want to stay.

There is also the 50% rule in coastal areas that comes into play. Homes now below current (and ever changing) base flood elevations cannot be rebuilt if the amount goes above 50% of the home value. Owners are learning they canít add additions or make major renovations. A flood or hurricane will likely guarantee a house canít be rebuilt if thereís significant or even minimal damage, depending on the homes worth, if below BFE.

Many people think no one should be building in these areas anymore and these current codes and regulations are moving in that direction. Houses need to be built to withstand these storms, but it comes at a cost. In the near future only the rich will be able to build and maintain homes in these areas. Having a place near the beach wonít only be a dream, but an impossibility for most people in the coming years.

This video makes you wonder about the randomness and/or the construction.
https://twitter.com/EdPiotrowski/sta...121855488?s=20
As you watch the footage coming out from Florida it is clear that the homes of the affluent did better than those of their neighbors with lesser means. Same observation for us at the beach where we have a place after Florence.

Old 10-11-2018, 04:01 PM

1,157 posts, read 1,020,323 times
I saw the Sun today. I forgot what it looked like.

Old 10-12-2018, 04:31 AM

3,423 posts, read 5,210,143 times
Lots and lots of flooding of our roadways here in rural Sw VA from Hurricane Michael. I suppose that in the long run we know that our groundwaters are being replenished. No creeks, streams or rivers flow into or through our county - all our water originates here, although a portion of the Little River does form part of the northern boundary of the county. We are on the eastern continental divide so rain in the eastern section of the county eventually flows out to the Atlantic ocean, while on the western side it makes its way to the Ohio River, the Mississippi and then down to the Gulf of Mexico.

Most of the homes here are on well water, only the tiny town of Floyd in the center of the county has city water.

The last of the warm weather is finally gone and it won't be long now until we have our first frost and start so see some splendid autumn color from many of our trees, with the evergreens interspersed making a truly beautiful landscape. The Blue Ridge Parkway, which forms the southern border of the county, will have lots of travelers out to enjoy the scenery.

Old 10-12-2018, 10:44 AM

5,102 posts, read 3,578,192 times
My niece, who lives with my Florida sister, posted an update and pictures on FB. Lots of downed trees. There's no electricity and they can't get out of their driveway yet but no one was hurt. From reports on the news, it will be quite a while before they will have electricity. Also before their road/driveway is cleared.

That's got to be tough. I remember when there were high wind storms in Minnesota and the electricity would be out for hours. I can't imagine going without it for days. I hope they at least go somewhere once they get out. Minnesota might be too far but we have family in Tennessee and Illinois also. Prayers for all the folks who are going through this.

Old 10-12-2018, 07:45 PM

6,977 posts, read 7,473,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJW50 View Post
I saw the Sun today. I forgot what it looked like.

We finally got sun also - had to go get my sunglasses. Many of my annuals are gonners due to the frost last night. Believe it or not - I'm ready for snow - and Xmas. As long as it isn't gloomy and dreary - hate that.

Old 10-12-2018, 08:00 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,741,983 times
Tonight was family movie night at the elementary school the grandkids attend. We were invited to come along. The movie is shown in the cafeteria and we laid out blankets, had low-back folding beach chairs and stuffed animals. It was a full house and Transylvania 3 was the movie being shown.

It was a cute animated movie and one part had the characters doing the Macarena dance to the song. The kids in the audience spontaneously stood up and began doing the Macarena along with the movie. So fun, this is my idea of a good time. I like kids. Most of the time.

We got home and the stars are bright in a clear sky. A cold front is going through and tomorrow morning’s temp is suppose to be 68, the coolest temp we’ve had since May.

Old 10-15-2018, 08:08 AM

11,202 posts, read 12,681,779 times
Clear and 22f this morning. Nice quiet sunrise walk with the doggie. A balmy 56 inside here.

Old 10-15-2018, 11:01 AM

6,183 posts, read 9,247,291 times
Yikes, Jim ! I could not handle 56 inside !! Turn on the heat before you freeze !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement