U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2018, 03:42 PM

4,882 posts, read 3,382,746 times

Advertisements

^^^^^^^^^^ Love to hear them honking as they pass over.

Old 12-10-2018, 04:08 PM

11,202 posts, read 12,681,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
^^^^^^^^^^ Love to hear them honking as they pass over.

Same here, but as soon as the geese fly over KABAM KABAM people are shooting at them.

Old 12-10-2018, 04:11 PM

7,479 posts, read 1,655,403 times
Went shopping this weekend for my husband's company's CASUAL holiday party, and it took only one try-on of pants and two try-ons of sweaters to find the right outfit. Although I don't exactly enjoy looking in the mirror these days now that I am a senior, it was so nice to just be able to find something that fit and was appropriate and not have to worry about looking "attractive". (Those days are long gone.) But, seriously, less than a half-hour In Dillard's, and success! YAY!! (When I was younger, finding the "right" outfit usually took a minimum of four hours of shopping and at least a dozen try-ons.)

Old 12-10-2018, 05:30 PM

238 posts, read 197,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Sound asleep I mean sound then at 6am KABAM! Some moron shooting next to my place. I jumped my dog jumped. So much for sleeping in.
Jim, I wish there were some way we could help you move to a more civil place. No one should have to put up with what you describe.

Old 12-11-2018, 08:23 AM

11,202 posts, read 12,681,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenah View Post
Jim, I wish there were some way we could help you move to a more civil place. No one should have to put up with what you describe.

Thanks but unless I win the lottery here I am.

Old 12-11-2018, 06:17 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,741,983 times
It’s a peaceful night here. DH told me he wanted a ukele for a Christmas present. He used to play guitar and was in a band in his younger days, weren’t most guys? After looking online, I found a ukulele store in the next town. I sent DH off on Saturday by himself to pick what he wanted. The store had 150 ukeles on the wall, they give lessons, have group uke-alongs and visiting artists. He really liked the store owner and came home with a ukele and case.

I’m in the kitchen making pinwheel cookies with a ruler (don’t ask) for Christmas while he’s practicing Christmas songs in the living room. He wants to wrap the ukele up and put it under the tree when it gets closer to Christmas. When the family is together opening presents, he’ll unwrap it and start playing the Christmas songs like he’s a natural. He’s having fun.

Last edited by jean_ji; 12-11-2018 at 07:21 PM..

Old 12-11-2018, 08:16 PM

4,727 posts, read 4,619,362 times
As some of you know, I have affiliated with the local Sea Cadet detachment as an adult volunteer. This past Saturday, as part of our community service, a group of cadets and several adults went to volunteer at the local Toys for Tots distribution center.

How it works is that families sign up on-line and receive a control number. When convenient to them, they come into the distribution center, present their control number and appropriate identification, then go sit in the waiting room. While they are waiting, a printed "work order" comes to us in the back that lists the ages and sex of the children. We grab the copy and go through the warehouse selecting age and sex appropriate gifts, tally a count of what we grab, bag the gifts in a large trash bag, tie it off, and the best part . . . take the bag to the waiting room to give to the parent. (The appreciation is readily evident!)

It was so emotionally fulfilling that I want back Monday to work all day, and again today. Why not? I'm retired and have plenty of time. I'd probably just be home anyway since the snow/rain season has started.

Today, after I presented a bag of gifts to a couple, I noticed a lady who is obviously close to my own age, (mid to late 60s). We have all been around long enough to be able to date someone within about five years, plus or minus. She was definitely close to my age. (Nice looking too! We guys notice stuff like that.)

I go into the back and get in line for the next "order". After a few minutes, I notice that nobody is fulfilling any orders. "Huh? There's someone waiting", I think to myself. Remembering that yesterday morning there were some computer glitches whereby some orders never got printed out, I went out to speak to the lady.

She had been waiting for a long time and commented that she saw people come in after her, then leave with their bags while she was waiting. "Uh oh!", I thought, "Looks like it happened again." I asked to see her little ticket and went to check if there was indeed a printout or not. There wasn't, so I go to the front desk to inform them that her "order" was never printed and can they reprint it.

I hurried into the back because by this time, I now had a "vested interest" and wanted to fill her order myself. Was I ever in for a surprise! Six children, of the full age range to which the Toys for Tots program caters. I took extra care fulling her "order", and had to get some help because of so many children of different ages and sex.

It took three bags to contain the toys and when I took them out to her, and knowing that she was on the smaller side, almost frail looking, and my age - I offered to carry the bags to her car. Of course, she readily accepted the offer. (She looked "tired".)

On the way out, I just had to ask her, "Please don't tell me that these are all your children?"

"No, they are my grandchildren. I'm raising my seven grandchildren . . . on just my Social Security check." (She didn't have to say that things were tight and difficult. We all know what SS pays.)

I was floored and emotionally humbled. I don't know the back story or know the circumstances in which she finds herself - to be raising seven grandchildren, of all ages, on just a Social Security check. I am truly humbled, saddened, and at the same time, emotionally happy.

THIS is what the Toys for Tots program is all about. To serve those in her situation or the like, to help those who cannot afford the expense to at least give some type of Christmas to children, and who through no fault of their own, find themselves living in difficult circumstances.

God bless the United States Marine Corps for running this program. God bless the individuals, commercial stores, and corporate firms who contribute their purchased toys and funds to sustain and make the program work. And God bless the grandparents who, through whatever circumstances, are raising their grandchildren. And not to be forgotten, God bless the children.

= = =

If you are inclined, there is a desperate need of toys for older children. At least at the center where I've been volunteering. There are plenty of toys for younger children, but sorely lacking for boys and girls ages 9, 10, 11, and 12. If you had planned on purchasing a toy to contribute to the Toys for Tots program, I implore that you please consider something for the older children. Thank you.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 12-11-2018, 08:39 PM

238 posts, read 197,909 times
Volosong - thanks for an uplifting post. Can you recommend toys for that age group? I haven't the foggiest idea what kids those ages find interesting.

Old 12-11-2018, 09:09 PM

4,727 posts, read 4,619,362 times
You're welcome.

I'm not sure what to recommend. Been a long time since I was that age, but it helps to figure out what grades they would be. Ages 9-12 would be in grade 4 up to about 7 . . . I think. I would guess girls are into fashion at that age. Boys? By that time, they have developed specific interests. One may be tending to be a geek and another a jock. What do you get a pre-teen boy? I don't know.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 12-12-2018, 04:22 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,741,983 times
Volvosong, thanks for the post. We drop off toys at a local store that collects for Toys for Tots, but I never knew how they were distributed. It’s great that you find volunteering there so fulfilling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement