U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2018, 06:27 AM

7,467 posts, read 1,650,318 times

Advertisements

RE: TOYS FOR TOTS

Toys R Us was the main distributor for Toys for Tots until they went out of business, but there are MANY sites in our area that collect for another few days. We always donate about a dozen toys, and I truly believe that it makes us feel every bit as good as the families who receive them.

(I found the site for drop-off locations near me by Googling "Toys for Tots drop-off Denver" and hitting the Ways to Donate button.)

Btw, Volosong, how did you go about volunteering? I think that would be a DREAM volunteer job!!

Old 12-12-2018, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenah View Post
Volosong - thanks for an uplifting post. Can you recommend toys for that age group? I haven't the foggiest idea what kids those ages find interesting.
We also donate to a local "poor working moms" food, clothing and food bank sponsored by a local church, and they also said they are in need of toys for older kids (9 and up), especially boys. Their suggestions for older kids were for building (Lego) sets for boys, and ANY kind of art/craft sets for boys or girls. And maybe some kind of "beauty kit" (like a set of lip glosses) for pre-teen and teenage girls?

(Personally, though, I prefer to give books IF I know what type of books the kids like.)

Old 12-12-2018, 07:16 AM

1,165 posts, read 459,553 times
Our little church collected over 200 "Trader Joe" bags stuffed full of toys, clothing, candy, etc for our sister church just across the border from Nogalas in Mexico. Getting them across the border is a little tricky at times but the border police are pretty accommodating if we're stopped. For many of the kids, this is their only Christmas. That follows a sit-down Thanksgiving dinner for several hundred kids in foster care that our church and another church in Mesa puts on. Some of the kids get to see their siblings for the first time since going into foster care so that makes it even more special for them. Our little church is ..... little but I think we do more outreach than churches 3x our size.

Old 12-12-2018, 07:19 AM

353 posts, read 176,970 times
We donate every year to an organization that gathers gifts for children in foster care. My niece gets the kids names and wishes from the organization and then family and friends sign up to fulfill the wishes. I always do the older kids. This year it was gift cards most were asking for.

Old 12-12-2018, 09:30 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,616,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
...Volosong, how did you go about volunteering? I think that would be a DREAM volunteer job!!
Guess I never talked about it before. As many of you know, I worked most of my career at a NASA facility in SoCal. It was a wonderful, fulfilling, exciting, and interesting "job". Being NASA, it was funded by taxpayer dollars. It was a good career and gave me a comfortable lifestyle. Even though I worked long, hard hours, sometimes even pulling "all-nighters", and earned every dollar I received . . . now that I am retired, I feel an obligation to "give back to society" for what they gave me during my working career. We can blame my dad too. He was such a generous person and was a real role model for me to follow, and inspired me to 'follow in his footsteps'.

So . . . I keep my eye out for volunteer opportunities. I've done various things, and one day somehow stumbled upon the Sea Cadets in the adjacent metropolitan town. Upon investigation, it seems like a good fit for me and for them. I'm ex-Navy and have maintained close ties to the ocean since those days, (have owned various sailboats throughout my life). I've taught college in subjects that are directly applicable to the program. And having been in the national space program, I can offer insights on things that people only see in science fiction movies.

It is a good fit for both of us. They offer me an opportunity to serve and mentor young men and women and I can offer them my personal knowledge and insights based on my life of adventure, experience and education, as well as being an adult role model.

As to the Toys for Tots program. Part of being a Sea Cadet is participating in community service. We endeavor to instill in the young cadets an ethos of giving to the community through volunteer service. A cadet will not be a Sea Cadet for very long if he or she does not participate in community service. We are helping to train the cadets to be responsible, contributing members of society. It is a great program, one that I have come to respect.

This past Saturday, as part of our detachment's community service, we volunteered at the local Toys for Tots distribution center. To make it easy on the younger cadets, we broke the day up into the morning and afternoon shift. They could "work" either shift, or both. Being retired, and by myself, and still fairly healthy, there was no reason I couldn't work both shifts.

As I learned about the program, and experienced the appreciation of those who received presents for their children, I wanted to do more. As I mentioned, being retired and having no pressing time commitments on my life . . . why not keep on volunteering at the distribution center?

Sorry for the long story and for rambling on. You asked!

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 12-12-2018, 10:35 AM

^^^ THANKS!!! That is just so wonderful and great, and I am VERY envious!

Old 12-12-2018, 01:09 PM
JRR

3,871 posts, read 2,322,326 times
Just realized that a niece of mine has a birthday today and she will be 60! The years have sure gone by quickly. It doesn't seem that long ago that I was pulling her around the yard in a wagon.

Old 12-14-2018, 08:07 AM

1,352 posts, read 866,453 times
There was a gorgeous sunset earlier this week. I grabbed my digital camera and put in my rechargeable batteries. Unfortunately, the batteries had lost their charge Oh, I know there will be other sunsets, but this one had an amazing quality. Batteries are now recharged. Anyone know how long rechargeables keep the charge?

Old 12-14-2018, 08:50 AM

11,201 posts, read 12,675,819 times
Got up at 2am to watch the Geminid meteor shower literally one a second, crystal clear sky no wind and 8 degrees outside.

Old 12-14-2018, 10:11 AM

4,879 posts, read 3,380,409 times
Darn it, I missed the meteor shower. And I was up and awake at that hour (tho I imagine jim's 2 a.m. is after my 2 a.m., cat had me up and I wasn't exactly thinking straight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement