U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2013, 04:55 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,627,864 times

Advertisements

I dreamed of visiting Santa Fe for years and thought it would be wonderful for my severe allergies --plus the art community, alternative healthcare, etc.

Instead,, within hours of landing, I was looking for an ER -- migraine, nasal bleeding so badly that both nostrils had to be packed-- and steroids to try to take the swelling down (throat, inner ear, etc).

Turns out it hadn't rained in months and I am highly allergic to tumbleweed. I had known that but simply had never come into contact with the plant.

Evidently, the stuff gets into the air and with no rain--lots of dust and spores or whatever it would be (pollen?) -- who would have guessed Santa Fe would be like poison to my system?

So --I would recommend visiting at different times of the year to any place one might move to if allergies, asthma or any other pulmonary problem might be involved with the decision.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:02 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,627,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
When we go out for meals especially Chinese with multiple folks and are sharing I often give up my choices as I like it all and might find a new dish I haven't tried before
Yes, I do the same. To be honest, when it comes to food, there are very few things I dislike. And often, that is a matter of preparation.

I am always game to try something new.

People can get really hostile over food, lol. I was the kid that ate what the other kids wouldn't touch--spinach, cabbage, brocolli, brussel sprouts, etc.

Old 07-17-2013, 06:45 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,771,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
What is COPD? A form of asthma?
Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder. It's emphysema, chronic bronchitis or both.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:16 PM

606 posts, read 563,663 times
Curmudgeon, sorry to learn you have COPD.

Topic: Boardinghouses. My Dad's Mom, operated boardinghouses, in the 1920's or possibly eariler in Indiana. Do people still run boardinghouses ?

Meant to ask when I posted a Thread about temporary housing when wanting to decide
whether to relocate to another part of the country.

Old 07-18-2013, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sera View Post

Topic: Boardinghouses. My Dad's Mom, operated boardinghouses, in the 1920's or possibly eariler in Indiana. Do people still run boardinghouses ?

Meant to ask when I posted a Thread about temporary housing when wanting to decide
whether to relocate to another part of the country.
Thanks. As for boarding houses, they used to typically provide a small room, breakfast and dinner and sometimes washing (laundry), mostly for working men. I doubt if they still exist in this country although they still do in Japan (Ryokan).

Old 07-18-2013, 06:38 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,166,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder. It's emphysema, chronic bronchitis or both.
That sounds like a hard condition to deal with. Has your new location helped or is it about the same? I'm sure you have no polluting industries to contend with, probably just the high summer heat. But then, you moved away from high summer heat.

Old 07-18-2013, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sera View Post

Boarding houses arose in the U.S. in the 1800s esp with the rise of a merchant class in the mid-1800s, and with the influx of immigrants. If people were not farmers or business owners - if they were general employees and teachers, they were not property owners and tended to live in boarding/"rooming" houses where many young couples met and subsequently married. Many moved from city to city for jobs. It's a fascinating time in American history. Today, esp in college towns but wherever there are really big houses, owners rent out rooms with kitchen privileges. They advertise under "housemates wanted."

Old 07-18-2013, 06:46 AM

4,806 posts, read 4,930,245 times
Quote:
Boarding houses arose in the U.S. in the 1800s esp with the rise of a merchant class in the mid-1800s, and with the influx of immigrants. If people were not farmers or business owners - if they were general employees and teachers, they were not property owners and tended to live in boarding/"rooming" houses where many young couples met and subsequently married. Many moved from city to city for jobs. It's a fascinating time in American history. Today, esp in college towns but wherever there are really big houses, owners rent out rooms with kitchen privileges. They advertise under "housemates wanted."

I hope you are not talking from experience. You don't look a day over 45 .

Old 07-18-2013, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
I hope you are not talking from experience. You don't look a day over 45 .
Some day I'll post a pic on my profile and you can laugh out loud (it was taken recently on a motorcycle not in motion).

Old 07-18-2013, 07:53 AM

Quote:
That sounds like a hard condition to deal with. Has your new location helped or is it about the same? I'm sure you have no polluting industries to contend with, probably just the high summer heat. But then, you moved away from high summer heat.
I t's not fun and somewhat limiting. Part of it stems from a self-inflicted wound, many former years of smoking. The rest is thanks to inhalation of noxious substances which, I'm sure, exacerbates the former.

The air here is so clean that it really does help. Thus far this summer we've only had one day with noticeable humidity and it was mild.

You're right. Not only did Sacramento have high heat during the summer, there was some humidity thanks to the rivers almost surrounding it. Add to that an almost constant inversion layer most of the year trapping nasty stuff and it's one place I avoid.

Looking forward to seeing your Biker Mama picture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement