U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2019, 10:38 AM

4,906 posts, read 4,483,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I was wondering if you could just ask around your town if anyone was driving to Denver or maybe even putting up some signs on bulletin boards. Offer to contribute for the cost of gas.

I haven't seen my oldest brother for two going on three years and I promised I would visit him. He lives south of Miami in a place called Homestead. Since I bought a new car last August I thought it might be fun to make a road trip out of it since I am (mostly*) retired. Nowadays airlines charge for luggage, renting a car for a week, etc., etc. adds up. Last time I visited him my brother asked why don't I come down and visit more often - I told him the truth: even in the off-season a week in Florida sets me back something like $1200-$1500 for just one week ... and that means not staying in luxurious accommodations or splurging on fine meals.

* mostly retired means I'm not working 95% of the time, collecting SS, but still "on call" when they seriously need me - like last week I put in 15 hours but got paid time and half.
I have been asking around, but so far no luck. I'll continue to ask though. Yesterday it came to me that I should check the price of car rentals down in Farmington, NM which is maybe 30 miles south of me. Farmington is much cheaper in general than the other towns here in the Four Corners. I have until April to figure this out - surely I'll come up with a solution by then (I hope).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Soooooooooo in the "this is how the universe works part 19..."

Got a text from the EXGF - hope you had a wonderful Valentine's, mine was awesome got treated to dinner, flowers. Love the new house, lots of snow here too. Oh going to Italy! Great to have the money to be able to do what I want now! Have a super weekend. Later.

...and so it goes.
What a beatch! Can't you block her number or something? Definitely don't reply to her texts, that will only egg her on. Or else make up an imaginary new GF for yourself and text your ex about her in glowing detail. Make her 20 years younger than your ex and drop dead gorgeous. Say you've met your "soul mate" at last and have never been happier. She does tend to be slightly jealous however, so you won't be able to text the ex again and you'd appreciate it if the ex would move on already, and besides you and Miss Wonderful will be out of town for a while since your new lady is independently wealthy and wants to whisk you off to Telluride for a week in a love nest in Mountain Village.

Living well is the best revenge and all that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2019, 02:41 PM

4,863 posts, read 3,372,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
MadManofBethesda[/b];54456001]Not in Homestead it wouldn't, lol. I'm sure if you came down in the middle of summer you would have a choice of motels offering rooms for $50-$70/night. Or you could Airbnb for $30-$40/night

Good to know, thank you.

Old 02-17-2019, 04:40 PM

11,195 posts, read 12,670,225 times
My cell plan won't let me block texts. I usually reply "OK" because if I don't she blows up my text time with are you ok or I really care about you, crap like that. And nah, not going to make up some imaginary gf.

I did have an imaginary invisible pony as a kid though. Thunderbolt the Wonder Colt.

Old 02-17-2019, 06:09 PM

3,498 posts, read 4,055,279 times
Then don't read them, hit "delete" when she sends one.

Old 02-17-2019, 09:26 PM

5,100 posts, read 3,571,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
She will just blow up his phone. Personally, I would just say, none of your business anymore - your choice. Now leave me alone for the rest of you're and my lives.

Old 02-18-2019, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post

Text messages opens automatically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
She will just blow up his phone. Personally, I would just say, none of your business anymore - your choice. Now leave me alone for the rest of you're and my lives.

I've done that. I won't hear from her for 6 months then text after text.

Old 02-18-2019, 07:48 AM

20,304 posts, read 19,285,182 times
Homestead, FL? That was a bunch of potato fields when I used to go down to Florida in the winter. Glad I went back then when I was younger, can't afford to go these days with flights and accommodations so expensive. We sold our camper but that was our dream--to take it down to FL in winter. Nope, not after seeing the cost of camping. Just glad I did all that camping and skin diving long, long ago.

Jim, that exgf is just using you. She wants to make sure you are there to fall back on if her current bf lets her down. Don't be nice to her. She is not a nice person.

Old 02-18-2019, 08:14 AM

4,863 posts, read 3,372,297 times
jim9251: I think you already know what to do without all the suggestions. Maybe just a little fun to write about it here.

I think you exgf gets an ego boost from you. Does that happen to you, too?

Human nature. We all have it one way or the other.

Old 02-18-2019, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

Jim, that exgf is just using you. She wants to make sure you are there to fall back on if her current bf lets her down. Don't be nice to her. She is not a nice person.

She uses everyone, it's what she does. Anyway she won't fall back to me, she has money now and a nice house, she knows I have about $10 at the end of every month. Believe me I'm not nice to her. I only reply with an OK to her texts to keep her from blowing up my phone. Just another thing to add to my wonderful life here.

Old 02-18-2019, 08:32 AM

20,304 posts, read 19,285,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
She uses everyone, it's what she does. Anyway she won't fall back to me, she has money now and a nice house, she knows I have about $10 at the end of every month. Believe me I'm not nice to her. I only reply with an OK to her texts to keep her from blowing up my phone. Just another thing to add to my wonderful life here.
Well, in a way, you have an interesting life. Ex's can be very infuriating. I saw a message on FB from my ex husband's gf--"Ooooooh, seeing Hamilton was great the first time, but even better the second time!"

I can only imagine how much those tickets must have cost. It's in the hundreds. The cheat. Makes me sick.

In my bad moments, I wish something nasty would happen to him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement