U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-18-2019, 05:13 PM
 
Location: too far from the sea
20,304 posts, read 19,285,182 times
Reputation: 34695

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Just returned from the doc earlier this morning. Later on that.

Around a month ago, the doctors over in Vancouver, WA stopped my brother's heart, then restarted it. Something was out of whack and his cardiac rhythm was "skipping a beat". He was extremely afraid, as you would suspect. It was a surprise to us because he is fairly healthy and physically active. Plays basketball several times a week. The procedure didn't work, so several weeks later, they went up through the groin up into his heart and did whatever needed to be done. He is seven years younger than I, 60 years young.

Then I am conscious of my mom dying due to heart issues. She contracted cancer, but they couldn't operate on it because they said here heart couldn't handle the operation. Then there is a known history of the Surber surname and their heart problems since they first came to this country from Switzerland about 250 years ago. My grandma Surber died because in her 70's, she fell and broke her hip. At that time, she realized that she was "getting old and didn't want to be old", so quit her heart medicine and shortly thereafter died. Up to that time, she was a world traveler and bowled several times a week. Very active in an era where seniors were not so active.

So, about six months ago, the doctor gave me a new, low dose heart medicine. I took it about six weeks and then over the next week, noticed that my legs were swelling up greatly. To me, it was gross! "Hmmm. What's different in my life?" Only thing I could think of was the new medicine, so I read the handout sheet and saw where water retention and swelling could be a side-effect. I stopped taking the drug immediately, and several days later when I got in to see him, he prescribed a different drug.

Fast forward to this past week and I read an on-line scientific article that "proves" that two or more diet sodas per day greatly increases the risk of stroke. By a not so insignificant amount. "Oh great! My only vice." I track and record my vitals everyday and went in to see the nurse for a free blood pressure reading and to compare with my home monitor. My BP has been running high. The nurse checks with the doctor and doubles my new dosage, (said it was a mild dose anyway), and has me make an appointment "next available" to discuss the issue.

I went in there this morning, just devastated. I'm not ready to die. Too much to see, do, and experience. I haven't even started Social Security yet. What a waste that would be if I didn't get any. I was almost in tears. I'm physical enough, playing tennis at least once a week, gym several days a week, been shoveling my own snow, bike riding when the roads are dry, hiking in the hills, etc. I do enough to be in decent physical condition. Getting ready to take the Navy Physical Redness Test in a couple of months. At my age, the pass goal is pretty slack. I need to do so many push-ups, sit-ups, and run a mile and a half. (As an adult 'example' for our Sea Cadets. We shouldn't expect them to do anything we are not willing to do ourselves.)

Doc recommended no more processed meat, (too much sodium). I already minimize red meat and normally eat chicken, turkey, or fish when I eat meat. More veggies, but I think have to say that to retain their medical license. And to work up to an hour a day, seven days a week physical exercise. On the days I'm not playing tennis, using the treadmill, or bike riding, he wants me to lift weights. In the past, I very rarely lifted weights. If you could see my physical body, you can instantly tell than I'm a tennis player/bike rider. Toned, muscular legs and bird-skinny arms.


It's going to be tough giving up the diet sodas!




No sympathy sought. I almost feel part of the club now, with the new physical ailments. So, where is the 'old people physical complaint' thread?
Well, you can find some camaraderie on the Health&Wellness forum. You need to do everything you can do--we will not allow you to leave this world!

You can quit diet sodas. There's decaff coffee, tea, water, hot chocolate, even rice or almond milk, also juices and lots of other things. It's just a matter substituting a new food for a bad food. Vegetables are very good for you and if you don't like them, make smoothies in the blender! They taste good.

You're already doing a lot of things right and it's not fair that you have this genetic heart problem but you can win over it. (Just giving you a little pep talk, but people on the Health&Wellness forum have lots of great ideas and some may even have the same problem you do.)
__________________
my posts as moderator will be in red. Moderator: Health&Wellness~Genealogy. The Rules--read here>>> TOS. If someone attacks you, do not reply. Hit REPORT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-18-2019, 10:47 PM
 
Location: Idaho
4,722 posts, read 4,612,424 times
Reputation: 9354
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomputer View Post
volosong, I'm curious about some things in your post. Were you taking a heart med before the "new, low dose heart medicine" was prescribed? What is the condition that needs medicating? None of my business. I guess I'm wondering if you are treating something or preventing something.

What reason did your doctor give for suggesting that you lift weights? How old is your doctor? You might do some reading about the new thinking about salt and electrolytes in general . That doesn't mean I think you should eat more bologna.

I can't use artificial sweeteners. Some of them raise my BP. I drink a regular soft drink 2-3 times a week. Its not health food but I enjoy it

My mother died when she was 59. I never could imagine myself beyond that age. But here I am. Your brother's experience would certainly be unsettling to say the least.

I hope this is not rude.
Hypertension. I was on a low dose for about two years before the most recent scare, and on baby aspirin for ages.

Lifting weights? I think he said it raises the metabolism and is a valid exercise on the days when I don't do cardio work. I do understand that it is recommended for a balanced fitness routine.

Two or three sodas a week. I've been drinking five or six a day! For decades. That's how I get my caffeine, (never been a coffee drinker). Like I said, it is my only vice.
__________________


Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2019, 12:59 AM
 
Location: University City, Philadelphia
22,606 posts, read 12,478,542 times
Reputation: 15595
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Homestead, FL? That was a bunch of potato fields when I used to go down to Florida in the winter. Glad I went back then when I was younger, can't afford to go these days with flights and accommodations so expensive. We sold our camper but that was our dream--to take it down to FL in winter ...

It's a lot different now. Much development: suburban homes, apartment communities, shopping centers, car dealerships.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2019, 08:16 AM
 
Location: Western Colorado
11,195 posts, read 12,670,225 times
Reputation: 26568
Got a notification from my credit monitoring thing that my user name and password to everything was hacked in a data breach and sold on the dark web. So just finished changing my passwords on all my online accounts.


Kinda recommend everyone do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2019, 08:33 AM
 
Location: Central NY
4,865 posts, read 3,374,876 times
Reputation: 12614
Thanks Jim. That dark web is a scary thing, I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2019, 10:31 AM
 
Location: Idaho
4,722 posts, read 4,612,424 times
Reputation: 9354
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
Thanks Jim. That dark web is a scary thing, I think.
The regular web is scary enough, and now we have to contend with a dark web. Oh no. Woe is us!

Thanks for the reminder, Jim.
__________________


Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2019, 10:46 AM
 
Location: CO/UT/AZ/NM Catch me if you can!
4,906 posts, read 4,485,086 times
Reputation: 10659
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Just returned from the doc earlier this morning. Later on that.

Around a month ago, the doctors over in Vancouver, WA stopped my brother's heart, then restarted it. Something was out of whack and his cardiac rhythm was "skipping a beat". He was extremely afraid, as you would suspect. It was a surprise to us because he is fairly healthy and physically active. Plays basketball several times a week. The procedure didn't work, so several weeks later, they went up through the groin up into his heart and did whatever needed to be done. He is seven years younger than I, 60 years young.

Then I am conscious of my mom dying due to heart issues. She contracted cancer, but they couldn't operate on it because they said here heart couldn't handle the operation. Then there is a known history of the Surber surname and their heart problems since they first came to this country from Switzerland about 250 years ago. My grandma Surber died because in her 70's, she fell and broke her hip. At that time, she realized that she was "getting old and didn't want to be old", so quit her heart medicine and shortly thereafter died. Up to that time, she was a world traveler and bowled several times a week. Very active in an era where seniors were not so active.

So, about six months ago, the doctor gave me a new, low dose heart medicine. I took it about six weeks and then over the next week, noticed that my legs were swelling up greatly. To me, it was gross! "Hmmm. What's different in my life?" Only thing I could think of was the new medicine, so I read the handout sheet and saw where water retention and swelling could be a side-effect. I stopped taking the drug immediately, and several days later when I got in to see him, he prescribed a different drug.

Fast forward to this past week and I read an on-line scientific article that "proves" that two or more diet sodas per day greatly increases the risk of stroke. By a not so insignificant amount. "Oh great! My only vice." I track and record my vitals everyday and went in to see the nurse for a free blood pressure reading and to compare with my home monitor. My BP has been running high. The nurse checks with the doctor and doubles my new dosage, (said it was a mild dose anyway), and has me make an appointment "next available" to discuss the issue.

I went in there this morning, just devastated. I'm not ready to die. Too much to see, do, and experience. I haven't even started Social Security yet. What a waste that would be if I didn't get any. I was almost in tears. I'm physical enough, playing tennis at least once a week, gym several days a week, been shoveling my own snow, bike riding when the roads are dry, hiking in the hills, etc. I do enough to be in decent physical condition. Getting ready to take the Navy Physical Redness Test in a couple of months. At my age, the pass goal is pretty slack. I need to do so many push-ups, sit-ups, and run a mile and a half. (As an adult 'example' for our Sea Cadets. We shouldn't expect them to do anything we are not willing to do ourselves.)

Doc recommended no more processed meat, (too much sodium). I already minimize red meat and normally eat chicken, turkey, or fish when I eat meat. More veggies, but I think have to say that to retain their medical license. And to work up to an hour a day, seven days a week physical exercise. On the days I'm not playing tennis, using the treadmill, or bike riding, he wants me to lift weights. In the past, I very rarely lifted weights. If you could see my physical body, you can instantly tell than I'm a tennis player/bike rider. Toned, muscular legs and bird-skinny arms.


It's going to be tough giving up the diet sodas!




No sympathy sought. I almost feel part of the club now, with the new physical ailments. So, where is the 'old people physical complaint' thread?
Well, you have my sympathy anyhow. So there! I'm so sorry that you are going through all that despite your healthy lifestyle (other than those evil diet sodas). Hopefully you and your doctor can come up with the right med to control your BP. They are making new advances in medicine all the time. Hang in there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2019, 10:47 AM
 
Location: Williamsburg, VA
3,551 posts, read 1,739,340 times
Reputation: 10224
Sympathy from me too. It's a club nobody wants to belong to, but FWIW, welcome to the club.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2019, 11:41 AM
 
Location: Idaho
4,722 posts, read 4,612,424 times
Reputation: 9354
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
The regular web is scary enough, and now we have to contend with a dark web. Oh no. Woe is us!
Oh my word! I said the above in jest. I was just checking the Sea Cadet FB pages and at the end, browsed through the latest favorites postings. On LADbible, they showed a video about the dark web. It's a real thing, and it really is scary. Truly, "Woe is us."
__________________


Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2019, 02:31 PM
 
Location: Central NY
4,865 posts, read 3,374,876 times
Reputation: 12614
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Oh my word! I said the above in jest. I was just checking the Sea Cadet FB pages and at the end, browsed through the latest favorites postings. On LADbible, they showed a video about the dark web. It's a real thing, and it really is scary. Truly, "Woe is us."



Tell us more!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:54 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top