U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2019, 04:59 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,173,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJW50 View Post
So I locked myself out of my house this morning. My key ring with the house key broke. My wife was subbing and everyone with a spare key was working.
Oh boy. This is a great fear I have. With that, we do have a garage door pad that can be used, and I have hidden pretty well a spare key to the house within the garage. DH and I both have discussed this.
The only glitch will be if there is a power outage then I just don't know.
Someone we know used to keep a key attached with a magnet under a window. That actually worked fine for them but it somehow scares me.
But this is a good reminder that we all might want to finetune this.
So how did you do? Did you have to wait for school to end?

Old 02-22-2019, 06:50 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,741,983 times
G
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJW50 View Post
So I locked myself out of my house this use the garage door keypad to get in amorning. My key ring with the house key broke. My wife was subbing and everyone with a spare key was working.

Our front door has a smart lock and the batteries need to be replaced every once in a while. I don’t carry keys on walks with the dog and found the door lock wasn’t responding when we returned, so I had to use the garage door keypad to get in last week. Like many people, we keep the door from the garage into the house unlocked during the day. I should carry a key.

Last edited by jean_ji; 02-22-2019 at 06:59 AM..

Old 02-22-2019, 07:26 AM

1,157 posts, read 1,020,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
Oh boy. This is a great fear I have. With that, we do have a garage door pad that can be used, and I have hidden pretty well a spare key to the house within the garage. DH and I both have discussed this.
The only glitch will be if there is a power outage then I just don't know.
Someone we know used to keep a key attached with a magnet under a window. That actually worked fine for them but it somehow scares me.
But this is a good reminder that we all might want to finetune this.
So how did you do? Did you have to wait for school to end?
I had errands to run that morning so I didn't notice until it was too late. I hung out with my DIL for a couple hours until she picked up my great-granddaughter. My great-granddaughter has a key so she let herself in in the mornings when I take her to school.

The garage door opener was the reason I was out running errands. Had to replace it. We are getting new cabinets as well

Old 02-22-2019, 07:31 AM

3,505 posts, read 4,061,633 times
Magnetic key holder hidden on the hot water heater, off to the side almost to the back of the heater. With everything using a battery, I find it is easier to always carry a loose house key whenever I leave the house and lock it while gone. Transports easily in a pocket or shoe.

Old 02-22-2019, 09:43 AM

6,183 posts, read 9,247,291 times
Fake "rock" hidden in the flower box in the back yard.

Old 02-22-2019, 10:38 AM

11,202 posts, read 12,681,779 times
Luckily (I guess) I can't lock my doors. Anyway 6 inches of snow this morning still snowing, been outside with the doggie playing. It's very quiet for a change too.

Old 02-22-2019, 11:02 AM

1,353 posts, read 867,042 times
They predicted 2-3" of snow here and it's really coming down at the moment. I think we got lucky as it stayed warm enough through the night that it rained instead of snowed. The sound of the rain hitting the outside meters during the night kept me awake for most of the night. I can barely see the highway and both mountain chains are invisible today.

I'd planned to go grocery shopping today, but will put it off for another day as there's nothing that I need immediately. While I'm comfortable driving in snow, I worry about Arizona drivers who are unused to it. I found it amusing that they announced school closings yesterday before the rain even started.

Old 02-22-2019, 04:41 PM
JRR

3,873 posts, read 2,323,605 times
I just got back home a bit ago from driving a friend to Murfreesboro for a medical procedure (about 90 minute drive). Nothing but rain all the way over and back. Every river we crossed is running pretty wild and some places along the road looked like small lakes. And we still have another 24 hours of heavy rain coming at us. I sure am glad that I don't live in some of the homes we passed where the yards are already full of water.

Old 02-22-2019, 04:52 PM

1,645 posts, read 631,336 times
Wow, Deelighted, you are getting snow way down there in Cochise County? This storm really is massive! Hubby and I just walked to Walgreen's -- it looked like it was safe enough, not about to rain....well, we had to stand in line at the Pharmacy and by the time we walked out the front door of Walgreen's it was pouring. Fortunately, we had a big umbrella with us so we walked home "Under the Big Umbrella" just like Jo and Professor March in Little Women!!! We do not get to do this very often in Arizona!

Old 02-23-2019, 09:30 AM

8,766 posts, read 9,841,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
They predicted 2-3" of snow here and it's really coming down at the moment. I think we got lucky as it stayed warm enough through the night that it rained instead of snowed. The sound of the rain hitting the outside meters during the night kept me awake for most of the night. I can barely see the highway and both mountain chains are invisible today.

I'd planned to go grocery shopping today, but will put it off for another day as there's nothing that I need immediately. While I'm comfortable driving in snow, I worry about Arizona drivers who are unused to it. I found it amusing that they announced school closings yesterday before the rain even started.

I'm surprised we got as little snow as we did here. Sedona got at least a foot and we got about 6 inches. Seems like different parts of town got different depths too. Couldn't see Mingus Mtn. or Sedona for a couple of days. We've had a LOT of flooding up here and now, when the snow melts, it's likely to get worse.

So many people in AZ are 'transplants' from snow country you'd think they would remember how to drive in it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement