U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2019, 08:13 AM
JRR

3,873 posts, read 2,323,605 times

Advertisements

We are getting a few flakes of snow in the air this morning, just enough to make it look like someone shook a bit of powdered sugar on the mulch in the flower garden. This has been a lousy winter for snow; not quite cold enough when it rains and not enough moisture when it gets cold. Going to get down to 16 tonight and tomorrow night. We'll see how much damage is done to the trees and shrubs that have been leafing out and blossoming due to the early warm weather.

Old 03-04-2019, 09:10 AM

4,882 posts, read 3,382,746 times
Snowed here earlier this morning, supposed to get more of it later. Temperatures will drop very low, too.

I am counting my blessings that I do not live in Alabama.

Old 03-04-2019, 09:20 AM

11,202 posts, read 12,681,779 times
Only 3 inches of snow here overnight. The surrounding mountains got hammered. Sure miss living up there. Seeing those tornadoes, I miss the people when I lived in the south, but have been through 4 tornadoes. Don't miss those at all.

Old 03-05-2019, 11:11 AM

1,645 posts, read 631,336 times
Yes, the people in Alabama and western Georgia got hammered by those tornadoes. Terrible. I have noticed, though out my years, that when a community experiences trouble, like they are -- for the most part, it brings out goodness in people and they work to help each other. The goodness in people really rises to the surface and things get done.

Old 03-08-2019, 07:20 AM

3,423 posts, read 5,210,143 times
Hard to believe that it was 42 years ago today that I started my job at the Port of Oakland working for Sea-Land Service. At the time I recall the shop steward telling about the great pension plan and saying something like that sounds great. I learned that it would take me ten years to vest my interest in the plan and thinking that there was NO WAY I would stay even half that time.

Well, 28 years later I retired from the job with a very nice pension indeed.

That pension has been in the red in "critical and declining status" since the crash of 2008 and the amount I receive may yet be cut by at least 60%. I just keep on trying to live frugally and put as much as possible toward savings.

The predicted snow has just started falling and we might get as much as 3", maybe some of it as freezing rain. I hate driving in those conditions. I've got an 11:15 appointment for ongoing physical therapy but don't feel much like going in for an hour of semi-torture of my frozen right shoulder. Very tempted to "call in sick" and get back under the covers with a good book after I get the critters all fed.

Old 03-13-2019, 12:33 PM

1,353 posts, read 867,042 times
Another wet and mostly cloudy day but at least we didn't get the snow the nearby mountains got Been thinking of adding flowers to my balcony but will need to wait a bit longer

My oldest computer broke. I've been expecting this to happen. Fortunately, I backed really important files to a flash drive. Spent the last two days downloading programs. Geesh, I hate Windows 10 as it doesn't play nicely at all!

Old 03-13-2019, 12:44 PM

8,766 posts, read 9,841,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
Another wet and mostly cloudy day but at least we didn't get the snow the nearby mountains got Been thinking of adding flowers to my balcony but will need to wait a bit longer

My oldest computer broke. I've been expecting this to happen. Fortunately, I backed really important files to a flash drive. Spent the last two days downloading programs. Geesh, I hate Windows 10 as it doesn't play nicely at all!

Our mountains and the high points in Sedona have snow today. It rained all day yesterday and some pretty good 'stormy stuff' early this AM. Heavy rain and wind.

My trees are budding out as of last week. I don't think this will hurt them. It's still in the 40s here.

I'm still using Windows 8! lol One of these days.....

Old 03-13-2019, 02:48 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,741,983 times
Sunny days and warm here. We had our vacant lot cleared of Brazilian pepper trees last week. They are awful invasives to deal with. We have a relatively clean slate to work with now, while watching for and removing any Brazilian Peppers re-seeding. We left oak trees, saw palmettos and slash pines in place.

My brother and cousin came to get away from the cold, spending a week up in St. Pete, three days with us, on to a friend’s place in the Keys for a few days and then one more night with us before going back. We had lots of pool and beach time, sunsets and chatting.

We took them to a local beach to experience a drum circle. The group has them twice a week, starting two hours before sunset. There were fifty +/- drummers there, dancers in sequined jingle skirts with scarves, hoopla hoopers, tie-dyed tee shirts and many spectators with some joining in, it’s hard to resist the beat. I always enjoy the vibe and so did my brother and cousin, it’s hard to describe.

We spotted a drone overhead while we were there. The next day a pic for free use was on the drum circle’s FB page and we found ourselves when we enlarged it. Good times, we loved a break from routine.
Chat Thread-5c4c5c79-419d-4da7-93fb-a34af4c12b62.jpeg

Last edited by jean_ji; 03-13-2019 at 03:47 PM..

Old 03-13-2019, 04:01 PM

11,202 posts, read 12,681,779 times
Had an inch of rain overnight, 50-70mph winds now. I had the sheer joy of crawling under this place in the cold half frozen mud to shoot a skunk that managed to get under here, then drag it out.

The fun here just keeps on giving.

Old 03-13-2019, 05:04 PM
JRR

3,873 posts, read 2,323,605 times
Spring has really showed up around here. Beautiful day; up to 70 and sunny. Bit of rain tomorrow and then a stretch of several sunny days with highs in the low 50s and lows in the low 30s.

All the spring colors are moving along. My tulips and hyacinths are just about ready to open. I planted a shadblow serviceberry this week and it will be blooming real soon as will my pink kousa dogwood. Just ordered a couple of iris and when I get them planted along with a Spilled Wine weigela, I'll be done with everything except my small raised vegetable garden. It was a lousy winter for getting any snow, but a beautiful spring will make up for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement