U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2019, 09:27 PM

1,352 posts, read 866,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
Life just isn't fair.

My son in law lost his father yesterday. He was 83. He also lost his brother in January. He was 50. It's a large family of 10 kids but now there are only 8. One brother died (suicide) several years ago. Time is cruel and we all must respect it, especially as we age. Peace be with you all today.
I agree. It's very difficult when you lose a lot within a short period of time. All of my dad's siblings are gone, he was the last one and when his sister went, he wanted to go too There's three left on my mom's side (her brother and two aunts through marriage) and I keep hoping NOT to hear they've gone. There's no way I could afford to go back for a funeral All of them are probably close to 90 now.

When I was younger, I wasn't in the habit of telling people that I loved them. Now that I'm older and have lost so many, I make it a point to say "I love you" to not only family but also to close friends. I'm just thankful that I enjoyed their company and rely on fond memories.

Peace right back at you

Old 03-25-2019, 11:12 PM

1,645 posts, read 630,703 times
AzGarden --

I am so sorry for the losses in your son-in-law's family. As Deelighted said, it is very hard to lose two close family members in a short period of time.

We lost another Police Officer last week in Phoenix, and the whole community is mourning. This fellow was a brand-new grandpa. Very sad affair - he was hit by a car while working at end accident scene.

Yes, it is important to tell people we love them. I agree.

Old 03-26-2019, 07:46 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,741,218 times
I am enjoying the lovely weather here before summer heat and humidity arrives, doing more intensive projects that are easier to do in this weather. We cleared a bed and replanted it and made another bed this weekend and we were both feeling it afterward.

We had our extra lot cleared of Brazilian Pepper, a Class 1 invasive two weeks ago. DH has been cutting it back only to have it grow back with even more vigor. We hired a company to mechanically remove it, it’s 80-90 % effective. At least we can work in there now. It was an impenetrable canopy, choking out native plants and trees. I sure wasn’t going into it! Our plan is to plant native trees, shrubs and plants on the lot. I’ll still keep non-native tropical plants I have, I’m not a plant snob, but I will remove other invasive plants I unknowingly planted before I knew better.

The man who owns the company that did the removal, looked at the lot before giving us the invoice and wasn’t satisfied with the job his crew did. He had them return for another day, and came to look at it again, was satisfied and then billed us. We were impressed, that was a first for us with any company!

I made a collage of the change. The top pic is after the removal, taken as the sun was coming up so there isn’t much color. The bottom is a Google Earth view at the same angle taken a year or so ago. We were cutting vines on the oak trees and a couple driving by, stopped wanting to know if we were selling the lot, they were interested. I’m sure they were, many of the empty lots in SWFL, not in developments, are overrun with Brazilian Pepper and need cleared.

Chat Thread-1d1eed91-00a2-4854-8576-808ce343a26e.jpeg

Old 03-26-2019, 10:44 AM

3,551 posts, read 1,742,076 times
Wow, that's quite a difference!

Old 03-26-2019, 01:26 PM

11,201 posts, read 12,675,819 times
Drove to town and got a pizza today. Only took 90 minutes, good thing I ordered it online.

Old 03-28-2019, 06:03 PM

1,352 posts, read 866,453 times
I'm so ticked! Stopped to get gas today and found out that someone dinged my car. The (expletive deleted) person did not have the courtesy to leave a note on my car

I also didn't realize that portion of the car is fiberglass.

Old 03-28-2019, 06:57 PM

4,879 posts, read 3,380,409 times
^^^^^^^^ Sorry to hear about your car and the dingbat who dinged it.

I'm sorry to say that I think a lot of today's cars have a lot of fiberglass.

Old 03-29-2019, 09:02 AM

8,018 posts, read 11,797,335 times
My mother passed in 2015. Previous to that she would always ask me to promise to take care of the house, live in the house etc. My father built it in 1967. I never would, vowing I would never move back to my depressed somewhat crap little home town.

Well. After 2 years of staying in my crap apt after retiring (really seems sort of mentally ill behavior), looking for the perfect home, in some new adventerous state, then up north in my old home state, where I would have retired wildlife adventures! I would be a different person, finally getting a life. Ha.
I moved into my parents home, the home I grew up in from the age of 11, last August. We were renting it out but my sister, co-owner, didn't want to do that anymore. She wanted a seperate place to crash in town when visiting her grand kids but didn't want to foot the bills for everything while it sat mostly empty. It just made no sense for me to continue living in the apt while I looked for a place up north.

I joke with myself that I have turned into my mother. I'm on about the exact same pension budget, same amt in the bank even. I read all day and watch tv at night, same as her after my father died. And am really pretty content. Honestly do I need to live somewhere grand when that's what I've done all my life? (read and watch tv). Does it matter where I read? Am I really going to change and become adventure woman just because I'm retired? Suddently become hiker, kayaker, snowshoer, traveler extrodinnaire? I mean yea, I would love to live in the Rockies or Washington state I think, or somewhere grand. There is a little bit of that failure feeling, moving back to the parents even though they are no longer here. They worked so hard and denied themselves so much to make sure their kids were taken care of, including after they were gone but it also seems very bittersweet in some ways to be here. We are fine and I would be fine without this house. I always wanted them to enjoy their lives a little more and worry less about us, spend some of that savings. I still wish they had. But as always my mother is smarter than me and here I am. Taking on her deferred maintenance LOL. Feeling nostalgic, they were great people.

Old 03-29-2019, 09:29 AM

1,958 posts, read 1,028,803 times
Giesela..... I believe I just heard your mother smile

Old 03-29-2019, 11:42 AM

3,551 posts, read 1,742,076 times
You can still go hiking, and probably do things like kayaking. Just because you live in her house doesn't mean you have to have the exact same life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement