U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2019, 04:56 PM

11,195 posts, read 12,661,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
Got jury summons for Federal. Since it was over 60 miles to Tucson, I went up and spent the night before since I had to be there at 8 a.m. First time actually inside the city other than in/out at airport. Got lost -- my Garmin didn't work cause my very bad kitty had chewed the cord. Needless to say, I got lost trying to find the motel and again trying to find the parking lot by the courthouse.

Though I was assigned Juror #56, the judge would not release any of us before the lunch break. In fact, he kept us all until almost 4 p.m. When I got called for service in Bisbee, we were excused at noon. I wasn't at all thrilled with being kept so long Then multiple accidents on I-10 coming home - just wasn't my day. Anyone got a hug to spare?

Well here's a big bear hug for ya. Gosh I've never been picked for jury duty, and probably never will.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2019, 06:26 PM

1,345 posts, read 864,084 times
Thanks for the hugs all! Much appreciated

Holly that's terrible news and I'm so sorry to hear it. Here's a few hugs heading back your way {{{Holly}}}

Old 04-12-2019, 04:55 AM

2,564 posts, read 2,165,330 times
oh my Hollyhock- I am so sorry.....

Old 04-12-2019, 11:19 AM

5,096 posts, read 3,569,242 times
Hollyhock, So sorry to hear about your son-in-laws sister. I moved from Minnesota because I could no longer deal with the winters and have been through some of those freak storms. They are scary.

This winter has been very strange and dreadful in the Midwest. The storms can come up so suddenly, no matter how prepared you are. It's sad when people get caught up in them.

Old 04-13-2019, 07:30 AM

Cold snap the past few days, mid 20s in the morning. My POS pellet stove went out so there's no heat. Landlord refuses to repair it told me it'll warm up again in a few weeks. Fun to see my breath in the morning and sitting on the toilet is another adventure when it's 33 degrees in here!

Old 04-13-2019, 11:31 AM

1,640 posts, read 628,298 times
Thank you, everyone, for the thoughts and prayers. Hopefully the weather will be improving up that way. Funeral will be next week, Easter weekend.

Our weather here in Arizona got pleasantly cool and we are savoring every minute of it, because it will not be around for long.

Jim, sorry to hear your stove went out! I hope a promising new place turns up for rent soon. It is definitely moving season around here - we drove by our neighborhood service station [he doesn't sell gas anymore because he can't compete with the big guys price-wise on the gas but still does car repairs] where the owner has set up a U-Haul service to supplement his income, and he was all out of stock last weekend -- all were rented out by people moving.

Old 04-13-2019, 11:36 AM

3,551 posts, read 1,735,380 times
Yup, it's moving season here too. You can tell by the inventory in the local thrift stores, which suddenly has a huge increase when all the people moving start bringing in carloads of things they don't want to pay someone to move for them. LOVE thrift store shopping right now!!!! I tell people it's more fsacinating than going to the Smithsonian. The stories all these things tell about American culture.

Old 04-13-2019, 12:01 PM

If I had the money I would move in a blizzard, during a tornado, in an ice storm, with a forest fire...

Oh well it'll be 100 degrees every day before long.

Old 04-13-2019, 01:02 PM

1,640 posts, read 628,298 times
Yes, I love thrift stores, too. My favorite ones are in a well-known retirement community, where household items are donated after someone passes away or downsizes. Since I have been doing this for many years, it is fascinating to see the changes in stock. Many things stay the same, but some changes occur.

One example is cookbooks. When I was younger, in pre-Internet days, there were few cookbooks in stock and they sold fast. Now, with the advent of the Internet, I see many cookbooks on the shelves. Not only are many younger people living in smaller living quarters with less space for storage, they are able to search for recipes almost instantly on the computer or even on their phone. Consequently, the market for cookbooks seems to be way down, although the ones 50+ years old do get snatched up. And with electronic books in general, this may increase.

Curtains and draperies is another item that do not seem to sell as quickly, and this could possibly be a regional issue. Out here in Arizona, most of the housing is newer, and blinds and shutters are more popular as window coverings. So draperies and curtains are not selling as much.

But the good thing is that these stores do raise money for important causes and help shoppers get a needed bargain.

Old 04-14-2019, 10:31 AM

5,096 posts, read 3,569,242 times
After living in Arizona for over a year and a half now I'm finally at the point where I can get rid of things I have not used, mainly clothes.

Coming from such a different climate, Minnesota, I just wasn't sure what I would need here. Having worked in nonprofit organizations most of my career, I know my former work clothes will be appreciated. A win-win situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement