U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2019, 09:21 PM
JRR

3,873 posts, read 2,323,605 times

Advertisements

Our big day was lunch out and then grocery shopping. Came home for a bite to eat, then over to the university to hear a couple of student jazz bands and finished up with a stop at Dairy Queen on the way home. Tomorrow is going to be rainy, so cards in the afternoon with some friends and then out with them to dinner; nothing fancy. Next week I've got to get the metal frame put together for my small raised garden and fill it with the planting material. Planning on some tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, a zucchini and maybe some carrots.

I am finally going to replace my chewed up right knee the first week in June, so have to go for my therapy evaluation next week. Not looking forward to doing this, but got to get started as the left one is getting to the point that it also should be done. Thought about biting the bullet and doing both at the same time, but I guess I'll just do one step at a time.

Old 04-19-2019, 05:12 AM

198 posts, read 57,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
Here's a little glimpse at how retirement has changed our lives. The spring for our garage door broke today. We called the repairman, and he'll be out in the morning to fix it. No big deal. I called some friends we were supposed to go hiking with, they said "No problem, we'll do it Saturday." I was supposed to take some boxes to FISH. Called my next door neighbor, who is also retired. She was happy to help out, and being retired she had the time to come over and get me and the boxes to their destination. After we got home, she and her husband came over and helped us manually lift the heavy door so we could put our garbage out and get one of the cars out. Everything else we had planned for the day was easy to rearrange. An annoyance, but not a big deal. Spending some fun time with my neighbor even added a little bit of fun to the day.

What a difference from the last time a spring broke in my garage. That was such a stressful day! Had to call a taxi since we couldn't get the cars out and I couldn't miss work that day. Lots of stress trying to figure out which one of us could stay home to meet the repair men. There weren't any neighbors home to help out. Lots of stress from my boss because I was late to work, and it also meant I had to work late. All day long there was a series of phone calls to juggle responsibilities since I had no way to drive anywhere.

Just one more little reminder that I sooooo love being retired and having neighbors who are retired.
Ahhhh… the freedom of being retired! Nice to have those support groups and social groups too!

Old 04-19-2019, 07:40 AM

6,498 posts, read 3,709,547 times
Funny story on me yesterday. I had an appointment at the clinic. On arriving I passed the interpreter in the hall and said hi but didn't see she had anyone with her.

As I left, seated in the hall were two lovely-Hispanic-looking women and a particularly darling three-ish boy with curly dark hair and shining brown eyes. I don't have grandchildren so I like to get a baby fix now and then. I leaned over and commented on how happy he was. They all smiled but didn't say anything. Ahh. No English? I switched to Spanish and asked him if his house was full of Easter eggs. Mom nudged him to respond to me but everyone was giggling and speechless.

Oh dear. Wrong ethnicity. Well, that put me at a loss other than smatterings of Norwegian, German, Italian and French which were useless. Lots of giggles and smiles all around.

Nice encounter but none of us knew what the heck. I got my baby fix. Those come in every language.

Old 04-19-2019, 11:12 AM

11,202 posts, read 12,681,779 times
A helpful hint...when you wake up in the middle of the night, it's always good to remember where the mousetraps are.

Old 04-19-2019, 01:10 PM

198 posts, read 57,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
A helpful hint...when you wake up in the middle of the night, it's always good to remember where the mousetraps are.

Old 04-20-2019, 01:40 PM

SO been pleasant here, windows open, dusted, did laundry, made bread. A dust storm came up 60mph wind, half my laundry on the line blowing down my dirt road, everything inside coated in dirt, the towels I had on my 3 bowls of rising bread blew off and the bread covered in dirt. 85 degrees now winds died down to 30mph with dust.

...and so it goes.

Old 04-20-2019, 01:54 PM

4,882 posts, read 3,382,746 times
^^^^^^^ Yikes.

Old 04-20-2019, 02:31 PM

6,183 posts, read 9,247,291 times
Jim: I am so sorry, but I had a good laugh !!!

Old 04-20-2019, 03:10 PM

...sigh

Old 04-21-2019, 07:27 AM

Happy Easter.

I wonder why 20 something drunk girls feel it necessary to howl at the full moon at 2am? Yeah someone about a half mile from me had a bonfire last night, sound carries. Drunks on dirt bikes and 4 wheelers racing around like a Mad Max movie until 3am.

Sometime in the night heard a gunshot, no big deal, I always hear gunshots here. Walked out this morning with my coffee to find the front windshield of my car shot out. So it'll sit until I get paid on the 1st.

Yup Happy Easter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement