U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-19-2013, 07:48 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times
Reputation: 22439

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I'm reading reports of a few people who during their normal exercise outdoors are collapsing or suffering heat stroke in these high temps. We're toward the end of a terrific heatwave here. I felt a little lightheaded at the library yesterday and had to sit down. I guess some of us should take it easy.
Absolutely! Stay as cool as possible and do not push! The weather will change; plenty of time this Fall to get super active again.

I get up about 5:45 am so at that time, it is still possible to do some Tai Chi and a Salute to the Sun out on the deck. This works b/c it is cool outside, whether at the mtn house or back in Charlotte. I have noticed a surprising number of folks out walking around 6 am in my Charlotte neighborhood. We have both retired folks and folks that work from home (or telecommute) -- and this seems to be the group that is out with their doggies or jogging/walking early. It's cool then, even if it is humid.

After about 10 am, it just isn't good to be outside when the humidity is high and the temps are soaring. Hard on the lungs and heart -- respiration is complicated by high humidity as well as heat.

I know you doubtless carrry a water bottle with you all day, but so many people forget how important it is to stay hydrated year round, much less during the summer.

 
Old 07-19-2013, 11:33 AM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
Reputation: 15656
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Absolutely! Stay as cool as possible and do not push! The weather will change; plenty of time this Fall to get super active again.

I get up about 5:45 am so at that time, it is still possible to do some Tai Chi and a Salute to the Sun out on the deck. This works b/c it is cool outside, whether at the mtn house or back in Charlotte. I have noticed a surprising number of folks out walking around 6 am in my Charlotte neighborhood. We have both retired folks and folks that work from home (or telecommute) -- and this seems to be the group that is out with their doggies or jogging/walking early. It's cool then, even if it is humid.

After about 10 am, it just isn't good to be outside when the humidity is high and the temps are soaring. Hard on the lungs and heart -- respiration is complicated by high humidity as well as heat.

I know you doubtless carrry a water bottle with you all day, but so many people forget how important it is to stay hydrated year round, much less during the summer.
Great reminders. I was going to go out walking this morning but I delayed too long and suddenly it was 8:30 a.m. and already 90 degrees. So I went to a brand new senior center, fully a.c., became a member and sat in on some classes including yoga. The yoga class was chair yoga and I thought that's too simple for me, but I went in as an alternative to back outside in the baking heat. It was a great one hour and the poses and stretches very similar to mat yoga. I will be going to her actual studio tomorrow to try out her regular class. If anyone has trouble getting down on a mat for yoga, check with your senior center about chair yoga, it really was a good session and energized me to face the awful heat. Drink, says Ani! (water, that is).
 
Old 07-19-2013, 12:40 PM
 
Location: too far from the sea
20,328 posts, read 19,311,428 times
Reputation: 34750
I've been in all day--this is the day they've been warning us about, the possibility of reaching 100 degrees. But I just went out with a watering can because some of the flowers looked sad and there is a great breeze out there--along with the Arizona type heat.

Must keep drinking.............water.
__________________
my posts as moderator will be in red. Moderator: Health&Wellness~Genealogy. The Rules--read here>>> TOS. If someone attacks you, do not reply. Hit REPORT.
 
Old 07-19-2013, 01:50 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times
Reputation: 22439
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Great reminders. I was going to go out walking this morning but I delayed too long and suddenly it was 8:30 a.m. and already 90 degrees. So I went to a brand new senior center, fully a.c., became a member and sat in on some classes including yoga. The yoga class was chair yoga and I thought that's too simple for me, but I went in as an alternative to back outside in the baking heat. It was a great one hour and the poses and stretches very similar to mat yoga. I will be going to her actual studio tomorrow to try out her regular class. If anyone has trouble getting down on a mat for yoga, check with your senior center about chair yoga, it really was a good session and energized me to face the awful heat. Drink, says Ani! (water, that is).
Oh my! What a great surprise this morning!

90 d at 8:30 am . . . that is just miserable.

Had you been in the senior center previously? Or was this a total discovery today?

Yes, chair yoga can still give you a good workout! And you met a new instructor, as well!

Sounds like your tactics to stay cool brought some new faces/places/spaces into your life. What a nice morning, NEG!
 
Old 07-19-2013, 02:03 PM
Status: "Support the Mining Law of 1872" (set 19 days ago)
 
Location: Cody, WY
9,668 posts, read 11,127,014 times
Reputation: 19463
I've mentioned several times that there are more heat related deaths than all other weather related deaths combined. That includes hurricanes, blizzards, floods, tornadoes, and tsunamis. While stories of people dying of hypothermia receive a lot of press very few people die because of extreme cold.

During the Chicago heat wave of 1995 many older people refused to turn on air-conditioning saying they couldn't afford it. It was, of course, a senile mindset. I'm sure that many cases were feigned in order to gather attention from family and others. But it backfired for many of them.

The number of deaths was extraordinary.

1995 Chicago heat wave - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Heat-Related Mortality -- Chicago, July 1995

http://www.press.uchicago.edu/Misc/C.../443213in.html

Last edited by Happy in Wyoming; 07-19-2013 at 02:13 PM..
 
Old 07-22-2013, 12:52 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles area
14,017 posts, read 17,939,286 times
Reputation: 32336
Default Rep point totals - pretty meaningless in my opinion

I just went through an exchange of posts with someone who has over 120,000 rep points on City-Data - over 65 "stars" worth. A lot of that exchange has now been taken down by a moderator, as it deserved to be. One of the things that gentleman (or lady?) wrote to me was "You have no valid point - hence only five stars." That's mind-boggling lack of logic when you think about it. It implies that his or her posts are more valid than mine because he or she has more stars. When I responded to that, analyzing the faulty logic, the response was, in its entirety: "You're quite dense, aren't you?" To the immense credit of all of our posters here in the retirement forum, I have never, ever, witnessed someone bragging about how many stars they have. That's as it should be, of course. Just when I think I've seen everything on City-Data, something like the above pops up. We humans are amazing - there seems to be no limit to the childishness that we adults can engage in.

I am certainly pleased when people like one of my posts and rep me for it. But if I had a way of hiding the total points (and the stars) I would do it. The person making his or her very first post on City-Data is just as likely to be intelligent and insightful as anybody else, and I judge each post on its own merits, as I'm sure the vast majority of people reading this do also.
 
Old 07-22-2013, 05:50 AM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
Reputation: 15656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escort Rider View Post
I just went through an exchange of posts with someone who has over 120,000 rep points on City-Data - over 65 "stars" worth. A lot of that exchange has now been taken down by a moderator, as it deserved to be. One of the things that gentleman (or lady?) wrote to me was "You have no valid point - hence only five stars." That's mind-boggling lack of logic when you think about it. It implies that his or her posts are more valid than mine because he or she has more stars. When I responded to that, analyzing the faulty logic, the response was, in its entirety: "You're quite dense, aren't you?" To the immense credit of all of our posters here in the retirement forum, I have never, ever, witnessed someone bragging about how many stars they have. That's as it should be, of course. Just when I think I've seen everything on City-Data, something like the above pops up. We humans are amazing - there seems to be no limit to the childishness that we adults can engage in.

I am certainly pleased when people like one of my posts and rep me for it. But if I had a way of hiding the total points (and the stars) I would do it. The person making his or her very first post on City-Data is just as likely to be intelligent and insightful as anybody else, and I judge each post on its own merits, as I'm sure the vast majority of people reading this do also.
I never knew what the yellow stars are for, so I've never been bothered by them. As for number of reps, it can indicate that they are being given on many different forums and so that person spends a lot of time on CD. Cannot compare with someone who doesn't (spend a lot of time). Seeing a number of reps a poster has does not effect my view of that poster in the slightest. In fact, some of those I respect the most seem to have relatively few reps compared with others. Quality and quantity are different things. I think it's just neat that CD offers such an engaging opportunity to connect with others.
 
Old 07-22-2013, 06:03 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times
Reputation: 22439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escort Rider View Post
I just went through an exchange of posts with someone who has over 120,000 rep points on City-Data - over 65 "stars" worth. A lot of that exchange has now been taken down by a moderator, as it deserved to be. One of the things that gentleman (or lady?) wrote to me was "You have no valid point - hence only five stars." That's mind-boggling lack of logic when you think about it. It implies that his or her posts are more valid than mine because he or she has more stars. When I responded to that, analyzing the faulty logic, the response was, in its entirety: "You're quite dense, aren't you?" To the immense credit of all of our posters here in the retirement forum, I have never, ever, witnessed someone bragging about how many stars they have. That's as it should be, of course. Just when I think I've seen everything on City-Data, something like the above pops up. We humans are amazing - there seems to be no limit to the childishness that we adults can engage in.

I am certainly pleased when people like one of my posts and rep me for it. But if I had a way of hiding the total points (and the stars) I would do it. The person making his or her very first post on City-Data is just as likely to be intelligent and insightful as anybody else, and I judge each post on its own merits, as I'm sure the vast majority of people reading this do also.
Oh my. I have never had anyone with a lot of rep act that way to me or with others, either. That is unbelievably rude!!!

The thing about rep points is . . . a lot of folks spend time in the "off topic" sections of the forum - and they rep each other daily. Plus, rep points from someone with HIGH rep points are higher, as well. I don't know what the cut offs are, but for sake of explanation - let's say that everyone gives 1 rep point until they reach 10,000 reps themselves. After that point, the "value" of any rep points goes up. I have no clue what the cut off is and if the points get higher than 5 points. But that will really add up the points fast and I figured out maybe in 2010 or so that this is why my rep points were going up - people with high reps would give me a pat on the back, and I got 5 points instead of 1 point.

So . . . there are several things that will make those stars appear, lol. I don't know how it all works, but I did figure out I was giving 5 pts rep to others at some point, b/c I repped someone and they repped me back and said "Thank you for that 5 pt. boost." I had no idea what they were talking about so started checking around.

Now, some forums only award 1 pt. no matter who is giving it. I think I read that Politics and Religion forums only give 1 pt in rep.

But back to what you wrote about ER, I am very sorry that you were treated so disrespectfully. Someone must have been in a snarky mood, indeed, lololol.
 
Old 07-22-2013, 08:25 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles area
14,017 posts, read 17,939,286 times
Reputation: 32336
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I never knew what the yellow stars are for, so I've never been bothered by them. As for number of reps, it can indicate that they are being given on many different forums and so that person spends a lot of time on CD. Cannot compare with someone who doesn't (spend a lot of time). Seeing a number of reps a poster has does not effect my view of that poster in the slightest. In fact, some of those I respect the most seem to have relatively few reps compared with others. Quality and quantity are different things. I think it's just neat that CD offers such an engaging opportunity to connect with others.
A sensible and mature attitude. FYI, each star represents a certain number of rep points (I don't remember how many). When the little horizontal bar of marks gets "full" it turns into a star and the horizontal bar starts over. When you get ten stars, they turn into one star marked in red at the top, and then the green-marked stars start over.
 
Old 07-22-2013, 08:36 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles area
14,017 posts, read 17,939,286 times
Reputation: 32336
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Oh my. I have never had anyone with a lot of rep act that way to me or with others, either. That is unbelievably rude!!!

The thing about rep points is . . . a lot of folks spend time in the "off topic" sections of the forum - and they rep each other daily.

But back to what you wrote about ER, I am very sorry that you were treated so disrespectfully. Someone must have been in a snarky mood, indeed, lololol.
Well, yes, it was rude. But I had criticized the "rep factory" you named above (where people celebrate each new star) as being childish and narcissistic, so you can see why that guy (or gal) was irritated at me. As you know, I can have a bit of a sharp tongue at times. Still, I do not issue insulting one-liners which are totally devoid of content related to the subject under discussion, such as "You're quite dense, aren't you?" that I was the butt of. That poster was actually proving my point by the response. One poster whom we all know well here referred to that group (in a DM) as "the gradeschoolers". Very apt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top