U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2019, 09:33 PM

5,728 posts, read 3,032,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
Lordy lordy I am pollinated to the core. Very sick. No energy. Malaise. Hardly breathing. Foolishly trimmed a backyard pine tree on Sat. and all this yellow stuff blew down on me. I assume that's pollen. Wear a mask?? No, of course I didn't. I take every pill on the market for congestion, stuffy nose, yellow gunk on the kleenex. Is there no relief? If I dunk my head in a pail of warm water, will I feel better?

I am a gardener and must stop planting stuff which leads me to this misery. Sorry for the rant.
Yes, the fine yellow dust is pine pollen. It gets to me, too. We used to find it had coated vehicles parked outside, among other things. I would feel short of breath during pine pollen season, tired, just blah.

Now we have mostly pinon pines (and junipers), and not as many of them as the ponderosa pines at our old home. But there are plenty of other allergens around, especially on windy days. Gack. Last two weeks I was really dragging and wanted a nap every day, which sometimes I indulged and sometimes not.

Soooo eagerly waiting for the cedar gnats, NOT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2019, 05:43 PM

4,865 posts, read 3,374,876 times
Feeling pretty frustrated mixed with anger today. I hate it when that happens.

I am beside myself with parents who murder their kids, then cry in front of the camera telling the kids to come home, they love them, all the time knowing they murdered the kids. And then you hear how in some cases the parents have been investigated for cruelty to their kids and found to be "fine." Really? Aren't we supposed to protect the children?

And another school shooting. Let's face it. It's not going to get better.

Another plane crash?? Is there quality control being used in their manufacture?
And the very least of it all is going to a beauty shop, telling the girl what you want but would appreciate her input, spending a lot of money for it only wanting to scream when you look in the mirror.

I really am getting grouchy.

Oh yeah, but the other isn't supposed to be discussed here. Our political environment. 'nuff said.

Old 05-07-2019, 07:00 PM

2,514 posts, read 1,739,465 times
^^^ I’m sorry you are having a bad day. The stylist was the tipping point, which is understandable.

I watch the news once a day. Any more than that and it’s too much on bad news days. Hearing it once and being informed is good. Watching it over and over is as bad as too much screen time with social media: perspectives begin to warp.

I saw this happen to my Mom she got older and Dad had CNN on too much during the day. She began to see the world as only bad and wasn’t getting out enough to see the good around her. This may not be what is happening with you at all and I apologize if I assumed too much. I know how it affects me and I limit it. The days I don’t, I feel like you do today.

Last edited by jean_ji; 05-07-2019 at 07:09 PM..

Old 05-07-2019, 07:08 PM
JRR

3,867 posts, read 2,318,170 times
It sure has been a very warm spring here this year. Over 80 for several days and one more coming, then we get a stretch in the 70s.

Got my garden raised bed frame put together and filled up with material. Planted three tomatoes (Juliet grape, Cherokee Purple heirloom and Celebrity hybrid); two peppers, one zucchini and some cucumbers and tucked in some carrots. First time having a garden since we moved here, so we will see how the experiment goes. Hoping for some nice garden treats.

Went over to the hospital for my pre-surgery testing and had a session with the orthopedic nurse navigator. She will be my point of contact before and after my knee replacement. I have a class to attend on Friday morning for more information on how this will progress. They are much more involved and informative then when I had my hip done in Florida. And as usual around here, everyone is just as pleasant as can be. My tentative time frame for the other knee is sometime in September, so I will need to be diligent about the rehab.

Old 05-08-2019, 09:57 AM

7,417 posts, read 1,640,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
Feeling pretty frustrated mixed with anger today. I hate it when that happens.

I am beside myself with parents who murder their kids, then cry in front of the camera telling the kids to come home, they love them, all the time knowing they murdered the kids. And then you hear how in some cases the parents have been investigated for cruelty to their kids and found to be "fine." Really? Aren't we supposed to protect the children?

And another school shooting. Let's face it. It's not going to get better.

Another plane crash?? Is there quality control being used in their manufacture?
And the very least of it all is going to a beauty shop, telling the girl what you want but would appreciate her input, spending a lot of money for it only wanting to scream when you look in the mirror.

I really am getting grouchy.

Oh yeah, but the other isn't supposed to be discussed here. Our political environment. 'nuff said.
I live in the southwest metro Denver, so I am very depressed and slightly teary-eyed today. So many younger people gripe about how we seniors are so nostalgic for the "good old days", and although there were problems in the good old days, too (notably, racism being much more prevalent and accepted), at least back then we didn't have to cope with social media and the fact that so many (more) individuals now think that shooting people is a good way to let out one's anger and get some fame, too.

Old 05-08-2019, 11:20 AM

8,761 posts, read 9,832,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
Lordy lordy I am pollinated to the core. Very sick. No energy. Malaise. Hardly breathing. Foolishly trimmed a backyard pine tree on Sat. and all this yellow stuff blew down on me. I assume that's pollen. Wear a mask?? No, of course I didn't. I take every pill on the market for congestion, stuffy nose, yellow gunk on the kleenex. Is there no relief? If I dunk my head in a pail of warm water, will I feel better?

I am a gardener and must stop planting stuff which leads me to this misery. Sorry for the rant.

Sorry to hear you are feeling so poorly. I've been sneezing a lot myself lately. And yes, that pine pollen is nasty stuff. My mom had three HUGE pines in her yard and suffered through it every year.

Rant away. Being sick is a good excuse. Hope you feel better soon but I don't recommend the head in a pail of water though. lol

Old 05-08-2019, 11:57 AM

1,642 posts, read 629,711 times

JIM -- I, for one, miss you on the Chat threat and wish you would come back!

I enjoyed hearing about those cool Colorado temps while sweating here in the desert! And your 45 minute one-way pizza runs!

Don't desert us! We care and want to hear how you are doing.

Old 05-08-2019, 07:19 PM

11,195 posts, read 12,670,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post
JIM -- I, for one, miss you on the Chat threat and wish you would come back!

I enjoyed hearing about those cool Colorado temps while sweating here in the desert! And your 45 minute one-way pizza runs!

Don't desert us! We care and want to hear how you are doing.

Thanks. Nothing much to say, got the windshield replaced only cost $100 which was my deductible. Cold front came through rain and highs in the 40's.

Old 05-08-2019, 08:27 PM
JRR

3,867 posts, read 2,318,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Thanks. Nothing much to say, got the windshield replaced only cost $100 which was my deductible. Cold front came through rain and highs in the 40's.
Welcome back. How soon before you will be going trout fishing again?

Old 05-08-2019, 09:49 PM

11,195 posts, read 12,670,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
Welcome back. How soon before you will be going trout fishing again?

Lakes are all still frozen over, I did a bit of fishing on a nearby river, no luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement