U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2019, 10:43 PM

1,269 posts, read 1,144,942 times

Advertisements

Glad you're back! I've been thinking about you and hoping you'd return. I don't post on this thread very often but I read it every time there's a new post so I do keep up. Hope it thaws soon so you can escape to the lakes.

Old 05-09-2019, 07:17 PM

1,694 posts, read 1,568,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Sorry to hear you are feeling so poorly. I've been sneezing a lot myself lately. And yes, that pine pollen is nasty stuff. My mom had three HUGE pines in her yard and suffered through it every year.

Rant away. Being sick is a good excuse. Hope you feel better soon but I don't recommend the head in a pail of water though. lol
When I get bad allergies (or a cold), I find it helpful to use a Neti pot to wash out my nasal cavity and I also splash water in my eyes to get rid of residual pollen. Especially before going to bed and first thing in the morning (when pollen is highest). Sort of like dunking your head in a pail of water.

Old 05-09-2019, 11:49 PM

1,645 posts, read 631,336 times
Jim -- Good to have you back! Glad you only had to pay $100 bucks for the windshield. Could have been worse.

I heard on the late evening news that the AZ Snowbowl ski area will be open for business on Mother's Day! They got more snow up in the Flagstaff area this week. This is the latest I can ever remember the Snowbowl being open in the spring. And that moisture is heading east; they sure do not need more rain in Oklahoma and Texas.

Today we went to our granddaughter's "graduation" from her Special Needs preschool. There were 3 students graduating from preschool and a boy graduating from high school, at this special facility. The entire student body of about 25 students was there. It was the most beautiful graduation I ever saw, especially the boy graduating from high school. He was not actually receiving a diploma, but a "Certificate of Completion". But his mother wore a beautiful long dress in honor of the occasion and a number of relatives were there. They made him feel so special; it made me cry. When I walked out of there, all I could think was, "Therefore but by the grace of God, go-eth I".

Old 05-11-2019, 07:27 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,741,983 times
DH returned from a week long overseas work trip last night. We both crashed early last night, it’s been a long week for both of us.

I have a vanilla orchid on our live oak tree that has been blooming this year. It’s twenty feet up the tree and the blossoms are 10-12 feet up. We’ve been using a ladder to hand pollinate the flowers. DH put up an A-frame ladder for me to use while he was gone, but I had him take it down for two reasons.

1. I didn’t want to be in the ER explaining what exactly I doing was on a ladder (I could just imagine the eyerolls).

2. It probably wasn’t smart to leave an expensive ladder out for a week where someone could take it or delivery people might trip over it (explain that to the insurance company).

Back to routine, there’s a lot to be said for it.

After reading what I’ve written, I now have to wonder if DH was being such a good guy putting up the ladder for me or if he had ulterior motives. Hmmm.

Old 05-11-2019, 08:03 AM

11,202 posts, read 12,681,779 times
Family reunion this weekend started yesterday. There's somewhere around 70-80 relatives from all over, luckily they're not staying in my "trashy trailer" and when they start drinking and fighting, I can leave and come home.

It's been um entertaining. Foods good.

Old 05-11-2019, 12:21 PM

So I had a phone call this morning from someone with a heavy foreign accent [not Spanish] claiming to be from my insurance company's "Department of Pain". They had my name and insurance company. I told them I could not talk to them but to give me a call back # as I am unfamiliar with a "Department of Pain". After that he hung up.

It is scary though. Where did they get my name, insurance company, and phone #??? And what if he reached someone who was kind of dumb and thought there was a "Department of Pain" ?

And the phone call came on a Saturday morning, when most of the departments at my insurance company are off for the weekend. Bad stuff.

Old 05-11-2019, 01:11 PM

3,551 posts, read 1,743,298 times
LOL a Department of Pain! That sounds like something you'd find in a Tim Burton movie

Old 05-12-2019, 08:35 AM

They get your information that's sold on the dark web. Don't ever call back a number you don't recognize, it's a scam and you'll be charged.

I got a call once from the Internal Revenue Department saying they had "the Army swat team" on their way to arrest me if I didn't call them back immediately.

I made waffles. Still waiting.

Old 05-12-2019, 10:26 AM

Ha! The Army Swat Team!!!
Well, hopefully all blows away with the wind and no insurance company troubles.

I hope those that are celebrating Mother's Day have a good day. We had a family birthday party yesterday, so we have nothing planned. I'm exhausted today!

Jim, I hope your family reunion goes well. Enjoy all the good food!

Old 05-12-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post

Jim, I hope your family reunion goes well. Enjoy all the good food!

I left when the sheriff's department showed up for the second time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement