U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2019, 05:50 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,172,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Thanks.
It's really strange when the cravings come. The morning one I understand but the rest come at different times. Oh well, this too shall pass.
As someone who stopped smoking about 25 years ago or so ( I had stopped a few times before the final) I can tell you that as you probably know, it is such a strong addiction. What I have learned is that if you think you can just have one cigarette or just smoke for one event..........it will be like you never quit. That has been my lesson. i don't crave it anymore, but I always joke that if they find out it's healthy for you (lol some chance) I will be back buying cartons like it's no one's business.
The point is it's such a powerful addiction or at least it was is for me and it is lifelong.
The best thing I found to do was to drink water. It keeps you busy,has no calories-- and you keep having to go to the bathroom which helps activity wise.

Anyway congrats and keep up the good work MEO

Old 05-19-2019, 07:24 AM

3,551 posts, read 1,742,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
As someone who stopped smoking about 25 years ago or so ( I had stopped a few times before the final) I can tell you that as you probably know, it is such a strong addiction. What I have learned is that if you think you can just have one cigarette or just smoke for one event.

Amen to this. And in particular, when stressful events occur you have to overcome the lie your head will tell you that "I just need one cigarette to get me through this stress!" All you end up doing is adding to your stress. This was a regular issue in my career. Firefighters hate cigarettes, for several reasons, but many of them smoke. Why? Often they're people who had smoked in their teens and then quit, but then had "just one" at a stressful moment (which happens quite a bit in firefighting, as you can imagine.)

The problem is it's never "just one." And when you go back to smoking after having quit once, it seems harder to quit the second time.

Old 05-19-2019, 09:30 AM

2,062 posts, read 1,271,312 times
^^^^ So true. I met a man the other night while outside a restaurant smoking a cigarette and he was telling me he quit for 9 mos because his wife was pregnant. After the baby was born he decided to celebrate with that 'one' cigarette and now he's been smoking regularly ever since.

I honestly wanted to smack him for going back to cigarettes Lol because for that long a time the nicotine is out of your system so the addiction to it isn't physical anymore. It's purely psychological.

Old 05-19-2019, 11:41 AM

3,551 posts, read 1,742,076 times
You know what retirement is like? It's like the horse in the Preakness who lost his jockey, and so no longer needed to "work". So he ran simply for the joy of it.

And what I liked the best, ran where he wanted instead of worrying about being in the rat race.

Old 05-19-2019, 03:32 PM
JRR

3,871 posts, read 2,322,326 times
Well, summer certainly has rolled in here for us. Temp is in the 80s every day and will be at 90 by the end of the week and a bit humid. Saving grace has been that it cools off nicely when the sun goes down. Went to a concert in the park on Thursday and by the time it was half over, I was glad that I had bought a light jacket. Even saw a few fireflies out and about.

We have had an interesting situation with our drinking water here. About three weeks ago I noticed an odd taste/smell to it, sort of swampy. This area gets it water from a huge lake and the lake had turned over which gave it the taste/smell. Water was safe, but not pleasant to drink. We lived with it for bathing, but just had to buy some water for drinking. Finally, the water is bit by bit getting better. First time I've ever run into that situation. Made me a bit homesick for the swimming pool taste of the heavily chlorinated water in Florida where we lived.

Old 05-19-2019, 07:37 PM

5,101 posts, read 3,576,860 times
I just posted in the Arizona forum because its actually been long sleeve weather today. Haven't lived here long enough to know if that's weird or not.

The whole water thing - even in Minnesota I used a Brita to filter the water. I can not drink the water here but find filtering it works.

Old 05-19-2019, 09:20 PM

1,111 posts, read 856,422 times
Unless I'm in a restaurant and have no choice, I have not drank tap water since the mid-1980's.

I drink bottled water, and not just anybody's. I could be doing the right thing or maybe it doesn't matter but the water never tastes or smells funny and I just feel better about bottled water

Old 05-20-2019, 04:31 AM

4,879 posts, read 3,380,409 times
Wow, we got hit with a really big storm yesterday. It was thought there was a tornado in the middle of it, winds were very strong, there was hail, lots of trees downed, lots of personal property damage. Radio/TV reporters kept reminding everyone to stay indoors, go into safe area away from windows, etc.

Pretty sure temperature got up to about 89.

Much calmer and cooler today.

More bad weather coming our way but hopefully not as severe.

And sad to say the coastal area along the lakes is once again rising to the flooding stage. So many people are experiencing damage from the high water the past couple of years. Sandbags are being put along the areas, but water will probably still cause a lot of flooding.

Old 05-20-2019, 08:16 AM

2,062 posts, read 1,271,312 times
Wow, NYGal. That's gotta be frightening especially with the possibility of having a tornado. We had a major torrential downpour here but that was it. I guess it was the leftovers from your area. The good thing about it was my flowers must have grown like 3 inches from it.. Lol

Old 05-20-2019, 09:12 AM
JRR

3,871 posts, read 2,322,326 times
We lived in Central Florida in 1998 when the "Night of the Tornadoes" came through. Multiple tornadoes touched down in a swath all the way to the coast and the aftermath was 42 deaths and 260 injured. One that was an F3 touched down about 3 miles from us and wound up killing 13. My wife was sleeping and I heard what seemed like a rumble of thunder that didn't stop; it just kept getting louder. I woke her up and we got into the interior hallway, away from windows. After a couple more minutes, the sound started to recede. That was scary as hell.

When we decided to retire to Tennessee, some people asked if we were afraid of the prospect of tornadoes. But the tornado activity here is no higher then an Central Florida. The sirens did go off a couple of times during our first year up here. I know the odds of one hitting us are small, but sometimes I do wish that we had a basement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement