U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2019, 04:51 AM

3,551 posts, read 1,743,298 times

Advertisements

Sorry to hear that NYGal, you've been through so much. Sending a few hugs.

We have visitors from NYC this weekend. I hadn't realized how how much our everyday lives had changed until this visit. It's amazing to see how much they eat. In the past two days we've gotten back into quite a few old habits, doing what we always used to do when we'd travel with them. Can't believe that used to be our normal way of living. I really didn't think retirement changed our habits that much, but it really has.

Old 05-25-2019, 08:01 AM

11,202 posts, read 12,681,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post

Jim -- I am sorry you have to endure so many trespassers and litterbugs on your land while they are out enjoying the outdoors. Oh wait! They took away the " Don't be a Litterbug" program in the schools and who knows what, if anything, they teach now. Sad.

What gets me there's 9,000 acres behind me, but they choose to race around right here until 1, 2, 3am. I stopped a few and talked to them, all drunk, got an earful of basically they don't live here and don't care and I can go...well you get the idea.

Early this morning I saw where someone tore down a no vehicles sign and spun donuts on wild grasslands back there. Should only take 200 or so years for the scars to heal.

Picked up McDonald's wrappers and Sonic cups from my yard this morning where the wind blew them.

...and so it goes.

Old 05-25-2019, 08:36 AM

1,353 posts, read 867,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
What gets me there's 9,000 acres behind me, but they choose to race around right here until 1, 2, 3am. I stopped a few and talked to them, all drunk, got an earful of basically they don't live here and don't care and I can go...well you get the idea.

Early this morning I saw where someone tore down a no vehicles sign and spun donuts on wild grasslands back there. Should only take 200 or so years for the scars to heal.

Picked up McDonald's wrappers and Sonic cups from my yard this morning where the wind blew them.

...and so it goes.
Is there any kind of law enforcement for your area?

Old 05-25-2019, 10:10 AM

5,757 posts, read 3,046,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post

...and so it goes.
If that is your land, they are trespassing. Call LE.

Some locals have another lame excuse for trespassing, the old “my grandpappy and his dad used to come here all the time” bit. If the land belongs to someone who does not grant permission to enter, it is trespassing. Period.

I just saw yet another tourist come down the road, turn around where the nonmaintained road gets REALLY bad, and come back up. People blindly trust electronic directions, and frankly some of the printed maps need to show hazards, too. Otherwise, people from “regular” places assume a public road, even a dirt road, is maintained. Yet other people clearly cannot read a map. Hey, if the road the trailhead is on is broken up by nonroad land for 4 miles, you have to take a different route to get there, DUH.

Old 05-25-2019, 07:27 PM

2,063 posts, read 1,272,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
Thx Holly ! Tucker did very well for his age. He only needed one tooth pulled and is now all back to himself.

Hoping to go see "Titanic" exhibit Sunday in Scottsdale if the kids are available.
I saw the Titanic exhibit on tv. It looked amazing! They actually have an exhibit that shows you how cold that water really was. If you do go, please take pictures and let me what you thought of it.

NYGal, sorry to hear you need more surgery.

Old 05-26-2019, 07:32 AM

11,202 posts, read 12,681,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
Is there any kind of law enforcement for your area?

Hahahahaha...no.

Old 05-26-2019, 09:26 AM

3,551 posts, read 1,743,298 times
Anyone know how to cook a hard boiled egg so that it's easy to peal?

Old 05-26-2019, 10:36 AM
JRR

3,873 posts, read 2,323,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
I have the best luck with starting the eggs off in cold water, bringing to a boil for about a minute, then removing from the heat and letting them sit covered for about 30 minutes. I can usually get 5 out of 6 to peel easily, but there is almost always one that is a problem.

Old 05-26-2019, 10:48 AM
JRR

3,873 posts, read 2,323,605 times
Quiet day here today. Been up for three hours and just saw the first car go by the house. Still hot and sunny; going to be up to around 90 today. Could use some rain for my little garden. The first peppers and tomatoes are forming and the zucchini, cucumbers and carrots are doing fine.

We are just hanging out in the a/c today; raised waffles for breakfast and cooking ribs later to have with fresh sweetcorn. Went over to Crossville (about 35 miles away) yesterday for a brass band concert. Theme was big band/Broadway and was an enjoyable evening. We probably will go over to the local park tomorrow evening for a community band concert. Other than that, just working on my leg exercises for my upcoming knee replacement.

Old 05-26-2019, 11:32 AM

1,670 posts, read 362,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
Has nothing to do with the cooking but the age of the egg itself.
The older the egg the more space between the egg and the shell as it shrinks inside the shell.

A fresh laid egg takes about 4 weeks to shrink so that it peels nicely.

I had chickens for the past 20 years until recently when I sold my property.

FWIW..farmers have up to 30 days to get the eggs into the cartons and then distributors have up to 30 days to sell them.
So sometimes you do get eggs that are 4 weeks old and they peel very nicely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement