U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2019, 12:49 PM

10,972 posts, read 8,404,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Has nothing to do with the cooking but the age of the egg itself.
The older the egg the more space between the egg and the shell as it shrinks inside the shell.

A fresh laid egg takes about 4 weeks to shrink so that it peels nicely.
^^^Absolutely this.
I don't raise chickens but I frequently boil up to 2 dozen eggs at a time to make deviled eggs for gatherings, in addition to boiling several a week for personal use.

I usually buy from local vendors & farmers market & I make sure to keep a few cartons of eggs, replacing & rotating them so that the eggs in one carton have sat in my fridge* for at least a couple of weeks.
Every now & then I end up using fresh eggs and boy I can tell the difference as soon as I try to peel them.

In addition, I've found it's best to not let them cool in the shells after boiling, to just give them a quick dump in cold water and peel them immediately. Then I tap & crack the smaller end 1st, then tap & crack the larger end, then begin to peel from the smaller end.

If the eggs are properly aged and I follow these steps, I never have a problem. If I want to use or
cook eggs some other way than boiling, I usually grab fresh ones from the newest carton.

(*yes, I know refrigeration is unnecessary but in my kitchen the fridge is the most stable & accessible place to store them)

Old 05-26-2019, 01:29 PM

2,118 posts, read 1,335,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
Anyone know how to cook a hard boiled egg so that it's easy to peal?
After they're cooked crack them lightly and put them in a bowl of ice cold water til they're cold. The shells will just slide off easily.

Old 05-26-2019, 01:33 PM

38,484 posts, read 47,365,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
Very strange weather here for almost the end of May! The weather forecaster said the dirty four letter S word - how in the world???!!!
Wow, here in Savannah, it is over 100 degrees for 3 days in a row. It hasn’t been that hot for 3 years, and that was in July.

Old 05-26-2019, 01:56 PM

2,697 posts, read 1,846,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
^^^Absolutely this.
I don't raise chickens but I frequently boil up to 2 dozen eggs at a time to make deviled eggs for gatherings, in addition to boiling several a week for personal use.

I usually buy from local vendors & farmers market & I make sure to keep a few cartons of eggs, replacing & rotating them so that the eggs in one carton have sat in my fridge* for at least a couple of weeks.
Every now & then I end up using fresh eggs and boy I can tell the difference as soon as I try to peel them.

In addition, I've found it's best to not let them cool in the shells after boiling, to just give them a quick dump in cold water and peel them immediately. Then I tap & crack the smaller end 1st, then tap & crack the larger end, then begin to peel from the smaller end.

If the eggs are properly aged and I follow these steps, I never have a problem. If I want to use or
cook eggs some other way than boiling, I usually grab fresh ones from the newest carton.

(*yes, I know refrigeration is unnecessary but in my kitchen the fridge is the most stable & accessible place to store them)
Actually in the US, refrigeration is necessary for commercially produced eggs since the protective covering is power washed off. Local neighborhood raised eggs would not have to be refrigerated since that covering is not washed off. How the US and other countries approach the salmonella/bacteria problem with eggs is different, not necessarily better, just not the same.

https://eggsafety.org/us-refrigerate...ountries-dont/

Last edited by jean_ji; 05-26-2019 at 02:13 PM..

Old 05-26-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Wow, here in Savannah, it is over 100 degrees for 3 days in a row. It hasn’t been that hot for 3 years, and that was in July.
Quite hot in SWFL too and no rain. I’ve been getting out in the garden at 7 in the morning and try to be done by 9 when the sun is higher in the sky and then I work in the shade until 10. Jumping in the pool to cool off when I’m finished makes it bearable.

Last edited by jean_ji; 05-26-2019 at 02:19 PM..

Old 05-26-2019, 02:33 PM
JRR

4,115 posts, read 2,469,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
Quite hot in SWFL too and no rain. I’ve been getting out in the garden at 7 in the morning and try to be done by 9 when the sun is higher in the sky and then I work in the shade until 10. Jumping in the pool to cool off when I’m finished makes it bearable.
When we lived in Florida, we had a pool that wasn't screened in. Pain in the posterior to keep clean. But on weekends like this, I do miss being able to jump in and float in a pool hammock and doze.

Old 05-26-2019, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
When we lived in Florida, we had a pool that wasn't screened in. Pain in the posterior to keep clean. But on weekends like this, I do miss being able to jump in and float in a pool hammock and doze.
I was worried the pool might not be as much fun when the grandkids weren’t around.. Ha! While I love the action and fun with the grandkids, I do I love floating and relaxing in peace and quiet.

Old 05-27-2019, 07:47 AM

3,551 posts, read 1,842,313 times
Went kayaking this morning to watch the bald eagles. That seemed like an appropriate thing to do to do on Memorial Day.

Guess a lot of people had the same idea, because we saw lots of people out there. Which brought up the question of how to greet people on a day like Memorial Day.

It seems appropriate to say something. I don't want the day to pass by un-marked. But what?

"Happy Memorial Day" seems wrong, but so does greeting people by saying "Somber Memorial Day." It's a day for remembering, but "Memorable Memorial Day" isn't right. Nor is "Have a good Memorial Day."

I finally settled for "What a beautiful Memorial Day morning" but that didn't quite seem right either. My dh opted for simply saying "..... Memorial Day" in a mumble, so people would think they didn't hear the first word and would insert whatever they felt was appropriate.

What do you guys say?

Old 05-27-2019, 11:20 AM

6,169 posts, read 3,313,960 times
I have never heard anyone greet strangers by including Memorial Day in the words.

Nothing’s wrong with, “Beautiful day, isn’t it?”

Old 05-27-2019, 11:27 AM

11,374 posts, read 12,954,085 times
So the drunks on the 4wheelers dirt bikes sidebysides raced around until 3am. Someone on a 4wheeler hit a girl on a horse back here yesterday, horse died, she was taken to the hospital, no word if they caught the idiot who hit her since he fled. Huge bonfire last night, they were howling, yelling and shooting. Must have been a good 300 drunks there.

Cloudy cold wind rain and 50 degrees now, I noticed everyone is leaving. And of course, as they're leaving they're throwing beer bottles at the rural mailboxes along the road honking and howling. Walked down to their parking camping area, there was a nice display with maps and area information, torn down, all the NO Vehicles, Closed Road signs torn out, my Keep Out Private Property signs torn down. I see where they spun donuts in the wild grasslands here, should only take 200 years or so for the scars to heal.

Hopefully I can have a quiet cool night and be able to sleep without taking a sleeping pill. drinking bourbon, having a fan on and music to drown out the noise I've heard since Thursday.

Heads killing me, I have this nervous shaking in my right hand.

What a great way to honor our fallen military on Memorial weekend. Oh well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement