U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2019, 10:55 AM

3,551 posts, read 1,742,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
I have never heard anyone greet strangers by including Memorial Day in the words.

Nothing’s wrong with, “Beautiful day, isn’t it?”

I guess I just see it differently. It bothers me when people don't acknowledge this day. It's an important day, and it shouldn't be forgotten. Even though it's a little cringe-worthy to hear people say "Happy Memorial Day" I'd rather they say that than have them not mention it at all.

Old 05-27-2019, 10:59 AM

3,551 posts, read 1,742,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
What a great way to honor our fallen military on Memorial weekend. Oh well.

No kidding. I'd call the police.

Old 05-27-2019, 12:26 PM

11,201 posts, read 12,675,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
No kidding. I'd call the police.

What police? There's no law enforcement here.

Old 05-27-2019, 12:40 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,085,566 times
Quote:
What police? There's no law enforcement here.

No sheriff's department??

Old 05-27-2019, 01:13 PM
JRR

3,871 posts, read 2,322,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
Maybe the sheriff's dept is a ways away, spread thin and has bigger fish to fry than driving out to try to quiet drunks? Just guessing.

Old 05-27-2019, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
Maybe the sheriff's dept is a ways away, spread thin and has bigger fish to fry than driving out to try to quiet drunks? Just guessing.

Yes but I live in an isolated rural area, they don't patrol here. My property borders a federal wildlife recreation area (which is where all the weekend nonsense was) so the local sheriff won't go on that at all.

They spend most of their time serving eviction notices and protection orders. Anyway, just another thing I put up with here.

Old 05-27-2019, 09:25 PM

5,761 posts, read 3,042,193 times
Quote:
Yes but I live in an isolated rural area, they don't patrol here. My property borders a federal wildlife recreation area (which is where all the weekend nonsense was) so the local sheriff won't go on that at all.

They spend most of their time serving eviction notices and protection orders. Anyway, just another thing I put up with here.
Jim, if the idiots are violating rules on federal land, call the relevant federal LE. For instance, in our area if that stuff happens on BLM land, the person to call is a BLM ranger. If the stuff happens on private property, the person to call is a county sheriff. If it looks like there will be violations affecting both areas, one LE officer might call in the other as well.

Were they trespassing your property to get to the wildlife area or is there designated public access directly to the wildlife area, AND is the wildlife area even open to the public? Contrary to common perception, not all federal land is open to the public. Regardless, when they are on YOUR land, it is county’s jurisdiction. That doesn’t mean the sheriff will actually do anything, but have you tried calling them?

Old 05-27-2019, 10:04 PM
JRR

3,871 posts, read 2,322,326 times
We had a nice quiet day here. Beans and franks and broccoli slaw for dinner and then went to a concert in the park.

They played the salute to the armed forces where veterans stand when their service song is played. Usually when they play Semper Paratus for the Coast Guard, I am the only one. This time I spotted another person on the far side of the amphitheater and we waved. Later we got together and talked for a bit and traded contact information. My wife said that we were like a couple of giddy kids because we were so happy to find someone to talk with about our service time. Finding a fellow Coast Guard veteran in Middle Tennessee is like finding a hen's tooth.

All in all, a good day.

Old 05-28-2019, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Jim, if the idiots are violating rules on federal land, call the relevant federal LE. For instance, in our area if that stuff happens on BLM land, the person to call is a BLM ranger. If the stuff happens on private property, the person to call is a county sheriff. If it looks like there will be violations affecting both areas, one LE officer might call in the other as well.

Were they trespassing your property to get to the wildlife area or is there designated public access directly to the wildlife area, AND is the wildlife area even open to the public? Contrary to common perception, not all federal land is open to the public. Regardless, when they are on YOUR land, it is county’s jurisdiction. That doesn’t mean the sheriff will actually do anything, but have you tried calling them?

Yes I've called both agencies several times over the years, neither of them care and won't do anything. It's just another thing to put up with here.

Old 05-28-2019, 09:24 AM

Anyway, 38 degrees this morning very quiet night was able to sleep soundly. Had a nice morning walk with the dog, forecast for rain and 50's today. I will sure enjoy that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement