U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2019, 09:06 PM

3,504 posts, read 4,058,634 times

Advertisements

I throughly enjoyed this! What a fun time. Was this multiple "shows" or just one around Christmas (per the wreath)? My favorite was the instrumental of Layla, good job guys. Brought tears to my eyes for the memories............Thanks for sharing!

Old 06-01-2019, 05:20 AM

3,551 posts, read 1,742,076 times
It was a Christmas party. I was going to send this to my friend who thinks all retirees do is sit on benches in a mall. Why do some people just assume that once you hit 65 you lose your ability to have fun? Ha ha, I like to dance when I was 20, why wouldn't I still be dancing now?

Remember that ad where the 30-something kids are tallking about how "mom and dad must be asleep. Poor things, they get so tired these days" and then you see the truth... mom and dad are down at the beach dancing with their friends. Wish I could remember what that ad was selling. Fun ad, but didn't exactly sell their product.

Old 06-01-2019, 05:43 AM

Found it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPbonwO0pEc

Old 06-01-2019, 08:07 AM

1,670 posts, read 361,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
It was a Christmas party. I was going to send this to my friend who thinks all retirees do is sit on benches in a mall. Why do some people just assume that once you hit 65 you lose your ability to have fun? Ha ha, I like to dance when I was 20, why wouldn't I still be dancing now?

Remember that ad where the 30-something kids are tallking about how "mom and dad must be asleep. Poor things, they get so tired these days" and then you see the truth... mom and dad are down at the beach dancing with their friends. Wish I could remember what that ad was selling. Fun ad, but didn't exactly sell their product.
Have you heard of e-sports ?
That's the crowd of professional gamers that people all watch on twitch.
Now when folks think of gamers they think 16-18 and the 20'something crowd.

There's a team of profession gamers where the youngest gamer is 62 years old.
They compete in Counter Strike games. That's a first person shooter game.
They call themselves the "Silver Snipers" and are sponsored by Lenovo.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/20/...er-strike-team

Old 06-01-2019, 08:22 AM

1,958 posts, read 1,028,803 times
sorry to interrupt such a pleasant conversation.....

does your SS check always come on the same day? Mine is two days early again this month. It is not "pending". It is there. It has come early enough that I received two in one month. Just barely but it happens. Mine generally is deposited on the third of the month.

I don't know why this bothers me. It doesn't bother me much. There is no holiday this month that I know of to cause this. Just curious.

Old 06-01-2019, 08:59 AM

10,850 posts, read 8,199,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomputer View Post
sorry to interrupt such a pleasant conversation.....

does your SS check always come on the same day? Mine is two days early again this month. It is not "pending". It is there. It has come early enough that I received two in one month. Just barely but it happens. Mine generally is deposited on the third of the month.
Do you mean the third Wednesday? Because SS checks are always deposited on the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th Wednesday depending upon your day of birth. I've no clue how you could get 2 payments in the same month.
If you were born on the:
1st–10th of the month: Social Security check deposited on the 2nd Wednesday of each month.
11th–20th of the month: Social Security check deposited on the 3rd Wednesday of each month.
21st–31st of the month: Social Security check deposited on the 4th Wednesday of each month.

Edit to add: I just discovered this - does it apply?
"You started receiving benefits before 1997: Your Social Security check is paid on the third day of the month."
source: https://www.thebalance.com/when-and-...arrive-2388919

Old 06-01-2019, 09:55 AM

2,062 posts, read 1,271,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
Can the rest of you open this link? This is a video of my neighbors' rock jam band. Not bad for a bunch of neighbors! I was thinking of putting it in a thread as an example of retirees finding ways to have fun, but thought I should test it out here first.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nOS...nI8VOr4PE/view

By the way, if you want a laugh, feel free to check out my dorky dance moves. I'm the one with the long blond hair that's in the crowd dancing somewhere around the 3:15 minute mark.
I watched the video and thought the band and video was really good. I'd gladly go to see them if they were local. My husband plays guitar... and I wish he'd get together with some musicians and do something like that.

Old 06-01-2019, 10:04 AM

2,062 posts, read 1,271,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
Noticed a hummingbird trying to get through my balcony railings the other day. The wind was so strong that it gave up and flew away.

Yesterday the winds were much calmer. A hummingbird came through the railings and busied itself with my autumn sage plant. I was thrilled. They are so amazing to watch.
In all my years I have seen exactly one hummingbird. It came right up in front of my face and I didn't recognize it at first. It's wings were going so fast and I thought it was a giant bug.. Lol and then I realized it was a hummingbird. They are amazing.

I think I'll get a hummingbird feeder and see if I can attract some here.

Old 06-01-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliedeee View Post
I watched the video and thought the band and video was really good. I'd gladly go to see them if they were local. My husband plays guitar... and I wish he'd get together with some musicians and do something like that.

They really practiced for the party, but most of the time it's just a group of guys having fun jamming in a garage.

Old 06-02-2019, 02:27 PM

1,958 posts, read 1,028,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Do you mean the third Wednesday? Because SS checks are always deposited on the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th Wednesday depending upon your day of birth. I've no clue how you could get 2 payments in the same month.
If you were born on the:
1st–10th of the month: Social Security check deposited on the 2nd Wednesday of each month.
11th–20th of the month: Social Security check deposited on the 3rd Wednesday of each month.
21st–31st of the month: Social Security check deposited on the 4th Wednesday of each month.

Edit to add: I just discovered this - does it apply?
"You started receiving benefits before 1997: Your Social Security check is paid on the third day of the month."
source: https://www.thebalance.com/when-and-...arrive-2388919
whew!

it does not apply I have been scouring the web looking for an answer. I finally found a place on the SS website that said "with limited exclusions" and then gave the birthday chart you posted.

So I am a "limited exclusion"

How could I get two checks in one month? It happened twice that I noticed (and I think I would notice. remembering is something else). I got my regular deposit on the 3rd and another, for the next month, on the last day of the same month. No holidays involved. I have a friend who experienced the same thing at the same time. She also gets her deposit on the 3rd and neither of us receive SSI which was the only deviation mentioned that I could find, other than the "limited exclusions"

thank you people who reached out to let me know that I am not alone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement