U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-22-2013, 12:01 PM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 19,169,159 times
Reputation: 15656

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escort Rider View Post
A sensible and mature attitude. FYI, each star represents a certain number of rep points (I don't remember how many). When the little horizontal bar of marks gets "full" it turns into a star and the horizontal bar starts over. When you get ten stars, they turn into one star marked in red at the top, and then the green-marked stars start over.
Thanks....just couldn't get it, and my master's dissertation in journalism school was infographics! Looks like I'm losing it in that arena. I also spelled "affect" wrong, I see. This morning for the first time I see a little square next to my welcome message at the top of the screen. It has a pale green graph within it. Do you know what that's about?

 
Old 07-22-2013, 12:06 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,627,864 times
Reputation: 22439
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Thanks....just couldn't get it, and my master's dissertation in journalism school was infographics! Looks like I'm losing it in that arena. I also spelled "affect" wrong, I see. This morning for the first time I see a little square next to my welcome message at the top of the screen. It has a pale green graph within it. Do you know what that's about?
That little graph shows how often your posts were read in the past 7 days.
 
Old 07-22-2013, 12:10 PM
 
Location: Edina, MN, USA
6,977 posts, read 7,472,596 times
Reputation: 16359
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I think all master bedrooms should have a door and a balcony or patio outside!!! I so wish I had one in our house in Charlotte. If I do purchase another home, it will have a bedroom w/ a balcony or patio - you better believe it!

Your realtor was very smart!!!
I have a door in my MBR to a large 2nd level patio - nice Unfortunately, it faces west so in the summer it is too hot unless it's overcast.

I'm sure that deer thanks you for the nice breakfast and will be delighted to hear more are coming from MA

It's only in the low 80s ,a big change from the 90s of last week, but it is soooooo humid that I can't really tell the difference.

I hear ya on finding a good handyman that actually shows up and does a good job. I finally found one - love him. Too bad you are so far away.

OK, back to trimming that darn tree. With all our rain everything has grown like crazy - including weeds
 
Old 07-22-2013, 12:17 PM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 19,169,159 times
Reputation: 15656
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
That little graph shows how often your posts were read in the past 7 days.
Now how would the internal workings of CD know how many of our posts are read? Just scrolling through the pages of dozens of posts?
 
Old 07-22-2013, 12:20 PM
 
30,037 posts, read 35,225,633 times
Reputation: 11966
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I think all master bedrooms should have a door and a balcony or patio outside!!! I so wish I had one in our house in Charlotte. If I do purchase another home, it will have a bedroom w/ a balcony or patio - you better believe it!

Your realtor was very smart!!!
Our realtor played a major in helping us love retirement. She spent a lot of time learning us and talked to the realtor selling our old house about what we liked about it.
 
Old 07-22-2013, 12:23 PM
 
30,037 posts, read 35,225,633 times
Reputation: 11966
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Please do not tease! I will even send the postage!!!

I love my hostas -- they are about the only thing that will grow in this moist shade here, lol.

I would take a photo and show you how ugly they look - so forlorn - since providing breakfast for Miss Deer. I haven't tried to upload a photo to C-D for year - we used to have to link to another photo acct (such as flickr) to post a photo.

Is that still the way we have to do it? I would share more photos if there were some simple way to embed without going through another website.
I had a lot of Hosta before we moved, now Hosta efforts are more critter food. So far I am beating the deer back for now.
 
Old 07-22-2013, 02:09 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles area
14,017 posts, read 17,936,627 times
Reputation: 32336
Default Have you heard the one about.....

A husband and wife are having an angry argument:
Wife: I should have listened to my mother 20 years ago!
Husband: Go right ahead; she's still talking.
 
Old 07-22-2013, 03:23 PM
 
Location: The beautiful Rogue Valley, Oregon
7,444 posts, read 15,550,513 times
Reputation: 9749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
I have a door in my MBR to a large 2nd level patio - nice Unfortunately, it faces west so in the summer it is too hot unless it's overcast.

I'm sure that deer thanks you for the nice breakfast and will be delighted to hear more are coming from MA

It's only in the low 80s ,a big change from the 90s of last week, but it is soooooo humid that I can't really tell the difference.
My top floor (the house is built into a hillside so the west side of the house is 3 stories and the east side is 2 stories) has a third floor balcony that faces west - I pull the shade down in the late afternoon to keep the sun directly off the walls and then once the sun is down, pop open the sliding door and use the fan to pull cooler air in. We're in the high desert, so while the days have been in the upper 90s, the nights are still in the low 60s to upper 50s, so everything still cools off enough to sleep. It's VERY dry here, so we sit out on the east deck in the hot part of the day, shaded from from the sun, and dip into the 8' diameter by 3' deep kiddie pool to cool off.

This is the second hottest summer (so far) on record.

Normally we have trouble with deer eating things but the drought and the hot summer have pushed them up to Crater Lake - much cooler at 7,000-8,000 feet than it is down here on the valley slopes. This has been a big year for the jackrabbits, though, we've got one buck who is just about the size of our dog - darn big for a rabbit. So-so year for the California quail, usually they'd be on their 2nd or 3rd clutch by now but we haven't seen too many.
 
Old 07-22-2013, 03:36 PM
 
Location: Edina, MN, USA
6,977 posts, read 7,472,596 times
Reputation: 16359
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
My top floor (the house is built into a hillside so the west side of the house is 3 stories and the east side is 2 stories) has a third floor balcony that faces west - I pull the shade down in the late afternoon to keep the sun directly off the walls and then once the sun is down, pop open the sliding door and use the fan to pull cooler air in. We're in the high desert, so while the days have been in the upper 90s, the nights are still in the low 60s to upper 50s, so everything still cools off enough to sleep. It's VERY dry here, so we sit out on the east deck in the hot part of the day, shaded from from the sun, and dip into the 8' diameter by 3' deep kiddie pool to cool off.

.
The cool down & no humidity makes a huge difference. Sounds very interesting!
 
Old 07-22-2013, 04:06 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,627,864 times
Reputation: 22439
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Now how would the internal workings of CD know how many of our posts are read? Just scrolling through the pages of dozens of posts?
Every click is tracked! Wherever you go, your IP address is right there on someone's server and website, logging in your activity.

Several other posters and I were trying to ascertain how they get the "times read" count, and the consensus was - whatever thread you have posted on, if that thread is clicked by a reader, everyone on the thread gets a "hit" on the counter.

Now, I have not discussed this with a programmer! But that is what we assumed had to be the mechanism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top