Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2019, 10:28 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,868,731 times

Advertisements

Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah Zip-A-Dee-A Wonderful feeling Wonderful Day Yes Sir. Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah Zip-A-Dee-A My oh my what a wonderful day. O plenty of sunshine headed my way Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah Zip-A-Dee-A. Mister blue birds on my shoulder Its the true-----UH HUH! Its actual Everything is satisifactual.

Old 06-21-2019, 11:49 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,111,765 times
Win the lottery??

Old 06-21-2019, 01:15 PM

43,076 posts, read 18,246,291 times
If you live close enough to the beach you can simply prepare yourself a drink and go down there just for 30 minutes to 1 hour, drink your drink, take in the sights, etc. There's just something so rejuvenating about the beach.

I'm about a 10 minute drive. My condo has a parking lot and beach cabana so there's no hunting for a parking space and there's a deck, covered/uncovered along with tables and chairs, bathroom, shower. I make my coffee and go down there 2-3 times a week, weather permitting and just sit on the deck and drink my coffee and take in the sights. When my coffee is gone I go home and start my day. There's quite a few others that do the same thing.

Old 06-21-2019, 01:22 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,197,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah Zip-A-Dee-A Wonderful feeling Wonderful Day Yes Sir. Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah Zip-A-Dee-A My oh my what a wonderful day. O plenty of sunshine headed my way Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah Zip-A-Dee-A. Mister blue birds on my shoulder Its the true-----UH HUH! Its actual Everything is satisifactual.

Sure hope that this time it will all go well and you will be able to move.

Old 06-21-2019, 01:40 PM

2,061 posts, read 1,958,038 times
Default Wonderful

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
If you live close enough to the beach you can simply prepare yourself a drink and go down there just for 30 minutes to 1 hour, drink your drink, take in the sights, etc. There's just something so rejuvenating about the beach.

I'm about a 10 minute drive. My condo has a parking lot and beach cabana so there's no hunting for a parking space and there's a deck, covered/uncovered along with tables and chairs, bathroom, shower. I make my coffee and go down there 2-3 times a week, weather permitting and just sit on the deck and drink my coffee and take in the sights. When my coffee is gone I go home and start my day. There's quite a few others that do the same thing.
This is what we do by sitting by our water fall stream that spills into our pond, and looking out our Mountain View. Sometimes coffee in the morning, sometimes wine in the afternoon, also feeding and watching our fish.

It is relaxing and rejuvenating at the same time.

Old 06-21-2019, 01:46 PM

3,546 posts, read 3,113,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
We're doing the sunrise yoga, a scavenger hunt, maybe the "discovery boat tour" (not really sure what that is, LOL, but it's booking up already so might be fun) and if we can't get on the boat tour we might do something called a water battle in the pool. They supply some sort of kayak or canoe, but participants are told to bring "your own version of a shield, buckets to douse other people, water pistols if you wish, and plenty of towels".

If we have any energy after that (doubt it, LOL) we might try the moonlight fishing. I told my DH that it will be strictly catch and release, though. No way am I cleaning any fish.

Did the yoga, it was awesome.

Then, we got off track a little. Got caught up in doing some things on the computer and didn't get to the scavenger hunt in time. The boat ride was full, but they said they might do it again since so many people were interested. No biggie, instead we took a walk around the marina and stopped at a brewery, and that was nice, too.

Still might do the water battle and/or the moonlight fishing. Summer solstice comes but once a year, after all.

Old 06-21-2019, 02:43 PM

3,546 posts, read 3,113,643 times
On a completely different note, has anyone done a cholesterol home testing kit? Is there a brand you'd recommend?

(Yes, I know we have a Health & Wellness forum but this sort of topic gets controversial over there. I thought if I slipped this into the chat thread, instead of making it a separate topic, I might avoid detection by the people who mostly want to stir the pot and don;t know what they're talking about. Plus I know the people on this forum well enough that I can gauge advice a little bit better.)

Old 06-21-2019, 07:10 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,190,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
On a completely different note, has anyone done a cholesterol home testing kit? Is there a brand you'd recommend?

(Yes, I know we have a Health & Wellness forum but this sort of topic gets controversial over there. I thought if I slipped this into the chat thread, instead of making it a separate topic, I might avoid detection by the people who mostly want to stir the pot and don;t know what they're talking about. Plus I know the people on this forum well enough that I can gauge advice a little bit better.)
Piney Creek -- Today while we were out driving and listening to the radio, one of the biggest chain labs in the Phoenix area, Sonora Quest, advertised that it is now offering several lab tests without a Dr order. This is allowed by State law. The two health areas they mentioned were for diabetes and cholesterol, but they did not actual give the name of the exact tests available, but they may be available on the link.

I pulled up the link so you can look at it: https://www.sonoraquest.com/my-lab-request/

Old 06-21-2019, 09:57 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,530,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post
Piney Creek -- Today while we were out driving and listening to the radio, one of the biggest chain labs in the Phoenix area, Sonora Quest, advertised that it is now offering several lab tests without a Dr order. This is allowed by State law. The two health areas they mentioned were for diabetes and cholesterol, but they did not actual give the name of the exact tests available, but they may be available on the link.
It's legal in most or all states for persons to directly order lab tests from the same labs used by physicians. Quest Diagnostics is the largest & might be the one that runs Sonora Quest.
You do have to go to the lab for the blood draw, but they're just about everywhere. I've used them a couple of times for lipid/cholesterol tests; they make the process very simple. A basic cholesterol panel is only $59; that's lower than the cost of most home testing kits and is thorough and reliable.
Order Your Own Lab Tests

Old 06-22-2019, 02:58 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,868,731 times
53 degrees thunderstorms cool north wind. Forecast low tonight 35. I may have to cover my tomato plants!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement