U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2019, 02:21 PM

4,879 posts, read 3,380,409 times

Advertisements

Thank you!
I called (they were very nice) and easily canceled out the July 29 date.

But she asked me to select another time that is within 6 months. So I went with November 18.

I wonder if they have an age limit.

My notice showed $40 a day.

I live close to Syracuse, NY.

Old 07-11-2019, 02:32 PM

434 posts, read 282,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky3vicky View Post
So THIS is where all my favorite people went! Hey everyone!
Hi, Vicky! I hope things are going well for you.

Old 07-11-2019, 03:31 PM

2,062 posts, read 1,271,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
Thank you!
I called (they were very nice) and easily canceled out the July 29 date.

But she asked me to select another time that is within 6 months. So I went with November 18.

I wonder if they have an age limit.

My notice showed $40 a day.

I live close to Syracuse, NY.

I remember now that they asked me to reschedule within 6 mos too.. but the next time I got the jury notice it was for a 'telephone juror'. I had to call a certain phone number on the day they gave me and if my number was called I was supposed to go in, but when I did call, my number was among the list of numbers that were excused thankfully.

There is no age limit on when they can stop calling you. You can postpone the Nov 18 date too if you don't feel up to it physically but they'll probably want a doctors note.

If it wasn't for the fact that I can't sit upright too long, I wouldn't mind being a juror but our court house is at least 40 mins away from me. There is no parking anywhere near it because they're all in that same area and I'd have to walk down a steep hill and then walk up a steep hill just to get there. With the shape I'm in, they'd have to give me oxygen by the time I got there, or CPR. Lol

Old 07-11-2019, 05:03 PM

4,879 posts, read 3,380,409 times
I did Google about the age limit. A lot of states have limits tho I believe people have to inquire about that. My state, NY, was not listed. But from what I have read elsewhere, there are limits. A person has to call the number given on the jury duty summons and request it. I also have some other health concerns besides my eyes and would prefer to not sit for the whole day.

Old 07-11-2019, 08:10 PM

1,645 posts, read 630,703 times
NYgal -- You usually have to call a phone # the night before you are supposed to go in for jury duty. If you do not have to go in the next day, they will let you know. If you do need to appear, I would take your appointment sheet with you and explain you have surgery coming up and they will likely excuse you. You may even be able to do this by phone or mail.

Good luck!

Old 07-11-2019, 11:30 PM

8,764 posts, read 9,837,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I did Google about the age limit. A lot of states have limits tho I believe people have to inquire about that. My state, NY, was not listed. But from what I have read elsewhere, there are limits. A person has to call the number given on the jury duty summons and request it. I also have some other health concerns besides my eyes and would prefer to not sit for the whole day.

I've always wanted to serve on a jury but never have. Made it through the selection process twice. Last time I got a summons I filled out the paperwork, sent it back, and never heard from them again. Don't know if we have age limits here or not but I was 74 at the time. I did call the day I was supposed to to find out if I had to show up but never had to go.

Old 07-12-2019, 06:26 AM

5,101 posts, read 3,576,860 times
I had to serve on a jury once. It was an awful case, wrongful death.

A young mother had been killed in a car accident and the lawyer was asking for compensation for lost wages and cost of raising two small children. The mother was a skilled professional and made a good salary.

There were two jurors who were next to impossible to reason with. One thought they were asking for too much and no one should receive that much. She refused to get it through her thick skull just how much the woman would have made until the kids were grown. The other thought it was 'karma' and there should be no compensation.

We finally had to compromise just to get it done. I hope the lawyer demanded a new trial as what was finally decided on was way too low, in my opinion. I never did hear about it though.

I was called once more but wasn't chosen that time.

Old 07-12-2019, 06:59 AM

7,467 posts, read 1,650,318 times
We just approved our final retirement house layout plans for our lot in Door County, WI!! Came to 1,874 s.f. (about 200 s.f. more than we thought it would be when we first started working on the design). Next step is for the builder to get the permits, and then we will be meeting with him in October, and then we will be meeting with the interior decorator to pick colors, flooring, etc. House should be started next year in April/May and be completed by August/September.

We are so excited -- we never really thought this would actually happen, and I am still nervous about whether our dream will actually come true or not! (I have learned to never take anything for granted until it is actually a reality!)

P.S. It is a single-level, no basement, ranch with two bedrooms, 2.75 baths, and a sunroom instead of a porch (as the area is prone to mosquitoes).

Last edited by katharsis; 07-12-2019 at 07:17 AM..

Old 07-12-2019, 08:01 AM

I was called as a witness in a trial once when the overnight home health aid that I had hired for my inlaws was killed by a drunk driver going through a red light. Multiple witnesses saw him go through the red light, and a blood test confirmed he was drunk at the time so he was at fault. There was no disputing that.
I didn't witness the accident but just because I was the one to actually hire her I was compelled by the courts to testify. I actually sort of knew the home health aide Agnes because her grandson and my son hung around together so I had spoken to her many times before I even mentioned that we were looking for someone to stay overnights with my inlaws and offered her the position.

The only reason I had to testify according the prosecutor was just to tell the jury when and why Agnes was hired and where in approximation to my inlaws house the accident occurred. Very simple and easy, he said.

Well, he clearly underestimated the other guys lawyer. yikes. The other lawyer grilled me on whether or not I suspected Agnes drank, took any medications, had enough sleep, yelled 'objection' often especially when I mentioned that she voluntarily took them to some of her own church functions, yelled objection when I mentioned that she took the job because she was saving up for her grandsons college fund.
And the way in which he asked the questions was so ... smarmy.. He'd ask me the same question over and over again, but worded in different ways with a little more detail thrown in so I had to be careful in how I responded. He literally grilled me for 10 minutes on whether or not I allowed the home health aid to sleep or not. He was trying to get me to say that I didn't allow or want her to sleep and I said she was allowed to sleep. I told her that when I hired her.

He brought up my mother in laws Alzheimers condition claiming she was a danger to herself and why would I give permission for Agnes to sleep if my inlaw woke up in the middle of the night, but he wouldn't let me explain that my mother in law would put all the lights on and literally wake everybody up. He questioned me in such a way to make me look like the 'uncaring' daughter in law and to make it look like Agnes was over tired, or drunk and maybe not paying attention when she drove home.
Agnes had the green light and the drunk guy actually drove around stopped cars to go through the red light according to witnesses at the scene.

I looked over at the jury at one point and one of the jurors made a motion as if to say 'don't worry, you're doing fine'. I think they felt sorry for me .
Then after that lawyer was finished with me, the prosecutor asked for a 'redirect' and asked me more questions that allowed me to clarify some of the answers that the other lawyer asked but wouldn't let me answer fully.

It was horrible for me, but the worst part was the other lawyer wouldn't allow me to say anything positive about Agnes as a person. It was like she didn't matter at all.

sorry for the novel..

Old 07-12-2019, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
We just approved our final retirement house layout plans for our lot in Door County, WI!! Came to 1,874 s.f. (about 200 s.f. more than we thought it would be when we first started working on the design). Next step is for the builder to get the permits, and then we will be meeting with him in October, and then we will be meeting with the interior decorator to pick colors, flooring, etc. House should be started next year in April/May and be completed by August/September.

We are so excited -- we never really thought this would actually happen, and I am still nervous about whether our dream will actually come true or not! (I have learned to never take anything for granted until it is actually a reality!)

P.S. It is a single-level, no basement, ranch with two bedrooms, 2.75 baths, and a sunroom instead of a porch (as the area is prone to mosquitoes).
Congratulations! That's a decent size for a retirement home. That's actually the size we're looking for along with a sunroom but we're only up to the stage of 'where do we go? Leave NY or stay?"..

Your dream will come true. Think positive.

Do you have friends over there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement