U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2019, 05:08 AM

4,882 posts, read 3,382,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Medical aside, many states will excuse you based upon age. Have you checked into that?

I was able to get excused from the July 29 date but was asked to choose another time after the surgery. I picked November 18.

I did Google about age limit for jury duty. A lot of states have that but NY doesn't seem to have it, at least according to what I saw on Google. When the November date rolls around, I will ask them about it.

Thanks for the reminder!

Old 07-13-2019, 11:12 AM

2,063 posts, read 1,272,230 times
I had such a lousy nights sleep last night. Normally, once my head hits that pillow, I'm out for 6 hrs. straight.

But last night I fell asleep sitting up on the couch, and only woke up because my butt, half of my feminine area, and leg fell asleep. Not a pleasant way to wake up btw. Then I had to hobble downstairs with my numb and tingly body parts to let the dog out and finally crawled into bed at 1am falling fast asleep.

At 2:30 my dog jumps on top of me to get off the bed and starts whining at the bedroom door, so I assume he wants to go out. I am not happy about this but I get up and I let him out in the yard, and once outside, he does absolutely nothing but sit by back door wanting to go back in.

so back to bed I go. I fall asleep again..deep sleep, and then my freakin' smoke alarm which is in the bedroom somewhere decides to start blaring at 3:30. Not the little chirp that indicates the battery is dying. This was an all out fire alarm scaring me half to death right out of my peaceful slumber. But I didn't see or smell smoke and what's even worse is, I couldn't even find the darn smoke alarm. I knew the sound was coming from my dresser area but once I got to the dresser, it completely stopped.

So after a quick check of the house and the bedroom.. I went back to bed and slept straight through til 8.

I hope tonight is better.

Old 07-13-2019, 12:27 PM

1,645 posts, read 631,336 times
elliedeee --

Sounds like a wild night, LoL. Sometimes our outdoor dogs wake us up, barking. We live pretty close to a fire station and when the sirens are used, it hurts their ears. Or once in a while someone is walking by and they will bark. More often, though, Hubby and I are awakened by Mother Nature and have to get up as use the biffy. It is just the way it is.

I hope you get a good night's rest tonight! With no smoke alarm buzzing!!!

Old 07-13-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post
elliedeee --

Sounds like a wild night, LoL. Sometimes our outdoor dogs wake us up, barking. We live pretty close to a fire station and when the sirens are used, it hurts their ears. Or once in a while someone is walking by and they will bark. More often, though, Hubby and I are awakened by Mother Nature and have to get up as use the biffy. It is just the way it is.

I hope you get a good night's rest tonight! With no smoke alarm buzzing!!!

Thanks, me too. Of course, this is the week that I'm all alone in the house so I'm already a little freaked out to begin with and last night didn't help.

My dog is pretty much useless as a watchdog. He will bark if he hears someone talking in the house that he doesn't recognize, but by then they're already in the house so if I ever have a break in, they just better be chatty burglars.
Lol.. I had to look up the word biffy and found out it means toilet or outhouse. For your sake, I hope i you mean toilet. but if not...hey, that's okay too. I don't judge.

Old 07-13-2019, 04:23 PM

2,907 posts, read 4,630,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
It sounds like the sale has not closed yet. Owner vacancy doesn’t mean the person who will buy it has access to the property. Closing the sale does that. If it already closed, maybe there was some clause specifying a delayed date of possession?

This could probably have been worked out nicely by asking the agent to contact the existing owner and get permission to be on the grounds (not inside the house).
That's what I'm thinking...until there's the official closing, theoretically, the house does not belong to the new owner, and he/she does not have the right to be on the property without permission. Additionally, there are liability issues.

Old 07-13-2019, 06:52 PM

6,183 posts, read 9,247,291 times
I had my own nightmare of a night last night. And I usually sleep very well, with interesting dreams and soft snoring.

But last night I got a "charlie horse" in my calf which in trying to get rid of it, I made it worse. The knot went to my inner thigh, my leg was bent, and I could not straighten it out. I got up and could not walk. Excruciating pain. Then the other leg got a knot too. I remembered to lay flat, and bend the toes toward my head, and gradually both legs relaxed.

I never had this before but hear it's pretty common. Goodness. Living alone is sometimes scary.

Old 07-13-2019, 07:03 PM

3,778 posts, read 1,955,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
I had my own nightmare of a night last night. And I usually sleep very well, with interesting dreams and soft snoring.

But last night I got a "charlie horse" in my calf which in trying to get rid of it, I made it worse. The knot went to my inner thigh, my leg was bent, and I could not straighten it out. I got up and could not walk. Excruciating pain. Then the other leg got a knot too. I remembered to lay flat, and bend the toes toward my head, and gradually both legs relaxed.

I never had this before but hear it's pretty common. Goodness. Living alone is sometimes scary.
Try magnesium supplements - can purchase them on Amazon.

Old 07-13-2019, 07:26 PM

My husband gets charlie horses in his legs so often that he went to see the doctor about them. The doctor told him he was probably dehydrated and to drink more water. Drinking more water has seemed to help lessen them.

I hope you get a better nights sleep tonight AZ.

P.S.. Women don't snore. We purr.

Old 07-13-2019, 10:29 PM

3,505 posts, read 4,061,633 times
We also don't sweat, we "glow". LOL

Old 07-14-2019, 08:26 AM

8,025 posts, read 11,799,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
We won't have the final quote yet until we go over the final details in October and choose the finishing touches, but the builder assured us that we would come in under $400k, including a total of about $30,000 for well, site work, and an underground propane tank. Our home will be a fairly basic contemporary ranch, except for the custom baths and kitchen -- the only other expensive item is a wood-burning fireplace, and the living/dining/kitchen area is contained in just one great room, so that cuts down on the expense, too, I think.

His first estimate was for about $395k AFTER our first meeting and he had a fairly good idea as to the kind of kitchen and bathrooms we wanted, which would be right around $200/s.f. for everything, including a two-car garage, generator and water softening unit.
No thank you thats great. I paid more for all the utilites and stuff!

I imagine that Door county is similar to the Traverse City area in terms of bigger summer population etc. Are you going to live up there full time?
I'm starting to second guess the building thing based on winter. Thinking summer in an RV is fine. However its not really big enough for my cats and that really limits me on the time I can spend up there. So...back to a house. But don't know I can afford or want a second house. Honestly its driving me nuts.

I too am going with a ranch on a crawl for the exact same reasons. I do toy with the idea of a 1 1/2, 2 bedrooms down and 1 up, unfinished, just a bathroom plumbed in, try to save some money. I really only need a place to sleep, an office/craft room, a spare bedroom and a room to use as a "basement" or attic for storage. Those last two could be up. I just think stairs take up so much real estate and tend to chop up a house with a small footprint. I have lived in ranches most of my life and love them.

So you are talking a real wood fireplace?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement