U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2019, 09:52 AM

2,054 posts, read 1,269,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
No thank you thats great. I paid more for all the utilites and stuff!

I imagine that Door county is similar to the Traverse City area in terms of bigger summer population etc. Are you going to live up there full time?
I'm starting to second guess the building thing based on winter. Thinking summer in an RV is fine. However its not really big enough for my cats and that really limits me on the time I can spend up there. So...back to a house. But don't know I can afford or want a second house. Honestly its driving me nuts.

I too am going with a ranch on a crawl for the exact same reasons. I do toy with the idea of a 1 1/2, 2 bedrooms down and 1 up, unfinished, just a bathroom plumbed in, try to save some money. I really only need a place to sleep, an office/craft room, a spare bedroom and a room to use as a "basement" or attic for storage. Those last two could be up. I just think stairs take up so much real estate and tend to chop up a house with a small footprint. I have lived in ranches most of my life and love them.

So you are talking a real wood fireplace?
Hi, I'm coming in late to this thread and have no idea what the laws are in your state, or what your financial position is etc, etc... so take what I say with a grain of salt please. Lol.. I asked my RE agent friend a similar question. Our dilemma is...If we can afford it we want to get a summer condo near the shore but there's no way I could live there during the winters because the town practically rolls up the sidewalks over winter and the condo would be small.
So I'd need a more normal sized home too.

My agent said that if we buy the summer place as a rental property, and don't rent it year round which I know we wouldn't, we could take the summer condo off of our taxes as a loss, and suggested we speak to an accountant just to make sure it would work financially for us. Maybe you could speak to an accountant too and see what they suggest?
Our situation is driving me nuts too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2019, 07:24 AM

8,016 posts, read 11,789,494 times
So if you buy as a rental property and don't rent "year around" what are you saying?
You want a home to winter over in which is why the condo would be too small. So you would be staying winters, and summers.
Are talking renting out part of the summer when you aren't there? Or just not renting it out at all but calling it a rental. Where are the losses coming from? Yea, I don't know, seems really complicated. If I rented it would be seasonally during the winter and of course the market is saturated with sept to april rentals so I don't feel like i should count on that.

Old 07-15-2019, 12:25 PM

7,415 posts, read 1,635,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
No thank you thats great. I paid more for all the utilites and stuff!

I imagine that Door county is similar to the Traverse City area in terms of bigger summer population etc. Are you going to live up there full time?
I'm starting to second guess the building thing based on winter. Thinking summer in an RV is fine. However its not really big enough for my cats and that really limits me on the time I can spend up there. So...back to a house. But don't know I can afford or want a second house. Honestly its driving me nuts.

I too am going with a ranch on a crawl for the exact same reasons. I do toy with the idea of a 1 1/2, 2 bedrooms down and 1 up, unfinished, just a bathroom plumbed in, try to save some money. I really only need a place to sleep, an office/craft room, a spare bedroom and a room to use as a "basement" or attic for storage. Those last two could be up. I just think stairs take up so much real estate and tend to chop up a house with a small footprint. I have lived in ranches most of my life and love them.

So you are talking a real wood fireplace?
Yes, Door County's population "explodes" in the summer and for the peak foliage weekends in October.

Originally, we were looking to buy an existing home, but none had the floorplan we wanted, and for a home that would be acceptable to us (although not exactly what we wanted) and in very good condition, we would be talking almost the same amount as we are paying for our custom home. Also, I could be happy with a much smaller home, but we have to think about resale -- not too much demand for small one-bedrooms, and I like my privacy too much to live in a condo! And thinking ahead to where we might have to move into an ALF (shudder), we would want to have a home that we could (hopefully) easily and fairly quickly sell for a good price.

And, yes, it will be a real wood open hearth fireplace, although just stone facing and not one entirely built of stone or brick, as that would add over $15k to the price.

Old 07-15-2019, 12:31 PM

My sister died last night. (58 years old, colon cancer.) I don't really have anyone to share this with, except for my husband, so just thought I'd share with my "online friends". We weren't very close, but I am still sad today, anyway.

(No response necessary or expected, but I just wanted to tell someone.)

Old 07-15-2019, 12:34 PM

4,863 posts, read 3,372,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
My sister died last night. (58 years old, colon cancer.) I don't really have anyone to share this with, except for my husband, so just thought I'd share with my "online friends". We weren't very close, but I am still sad today, anyway.

I am so sorry for your loss, katharsis. I'm so glad you shared this with us, your friends. No matter that you two weren't close; I had two sisters I wasn't close with but when they died (at different times), I felt very sad. Sending you a hug ((((((( )))))))

Old 07-15-2019, 07:04 PM

11,195 posts, read 12,667,082 times
Quote:

I am so sorry for your loss.

Old 07-15-2019, 07:22 PM

20,303 posts, read 19,278,484 times
Quote:

That's so sad and I am sorry. Even if you weren't close, it is still quite a loss--she was your sister.

Old 07-15-2019, 07:55 PM

432 posts, read 281,798 times
Quote:

Iím sorry. My younger brother has had surgery for colon cancer, but heís hanging in there.

Even though you and your sister werenít very close, itís still tough to lose a sibling.

Old 07-15-2019, 08:19 PM

Thank you all SO much for your sympathy. It is very much appreciated.

I was honestly surprised that I have "felt" it as much as I have, so I am very appreciative of all your responses. Thanks you again so very much. I am honestly almost overwhelmed by your show of support. Hugs to all of you.

Last edited by katharsis; 07-15-2019 at 08:48 PM..

Old 07-15-2019, 08:38 PM

3,492 posts, read 4,053,816 times
Offering sympathy and peace to you in your loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement